Halloween Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't normally plan this far in advance but I had an inspiration tonight and was thinking of doing a witches-based haunt next year.

I have a faux cauldron, have seen tutorials on making them look like there's a fire under them (aluminum foil, lighting) that look quite inexpensive and easy to make (I don't have any tools at all, really, and don't plan on investing this year in those either). I'll bet I could make a bunch of "witches" using pipes or dowels, black sheets and something stuffed for a head and dollar-store hats, maybe dollar store masks for the faces...or maybe even get brave and do papier mache or something...Not sure what else I would do? Anybody have some fun and economic ideas?

I do already have a collection from previous years, the usual suspects, a lot of tombstones, two big spiders and two big skeletons, and a lot of faux pumpkins.

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,436 Posts
I don't normally plan this far in advance but I had an inspiration tonight and was thinking of doing a witches-based haunt next year.

I have a faux cauldron, have seen tutorials on making them look like there's a fire under them (aluminum foil, lighting) that look quite inexpensive and easy to make (I don't have any tools at all, really, and don't plan on investing this year in those either). I'll bet I could make a bunch of "witches" using pipes or dowels, black sheets and something stuffed for a head and dollar-store hats, maybe dollar store masks for the faces...or maybe even get brave and do papier mache or something...Not sure what else I would do? Anybody have some fun and economic ideas?

I do already have a collection from previous years, the usual suspects, a lot of tombstones, two big spiders and two big skeletons, and a lot of faux pumpkins.
I make pvc "t" frames for my props and have a coven of witches made like that.
Pvc is cheap, the connectors aren't too bad, especially if you buy a contractors pack. Buying a pvc cutter is not a must but you'll have it forever and is totally worth the investment. My little group (have a few more but just used these this year) are all pvc frames, a center pole over a rebar to stand it, an X connector with pipes for neck and shoulders, then a 45 or 90 degree connector for shoulder and elbow. I've used the same witches for way over ten years, some have new faces because latex masks don't last in Florida. The gowns are from thrift stores, the masks from wherever and put over a milk jug or are wig form heads that I've carved. I use tulle and weed stop cloth to cover the necks and tape gloves stuffed with whatever to the ends of the arms. Some are those one size fits all knit gloves, some kitchen gloves, some costume gloves, just whatever I've on hand. Some masks have hair, some hats have the hair, some have yarn hair I did up and stick on with quilting pins. Hope this helps! :D

Community Soil Adaptation Tree Arbor day

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
For around a decade now, I've had a witch in my display somewhere - sometimes prominent, sometimes subtle.

Witch props are fun to make, and make nice indoor displays when not being used outside.
Spell books, potion bottles, ingredients and components to go into the cauldron, crystal ball or other scrying device (like a mirror), and other curiosities - the more the better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
These cauldrons look amazing! Would you be willing to share how you made them look so crusty? My experience with Great Stuff is that is expands alot. Do you somehow smear it? Do you have a special painting technique? What colors/paint brand did you use? Incredible job! Thanks.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
These cauldrons look amazing! Would you be willing to share how you made them look so crusty? My experience with Great Stuff is that is expands alot. Do you somehow smear it? Do you have a special painting technique? What colors/paint brand did you use? Incredible job! Thanks.
Thank you! Actually, fellow HF member Hilda told me how to smear on Great Stuff (with a gloved hand) very thinly on the cauldron. It does expand.

When dry, I spray painted with a cheap matte black spray paint from Home Depot.

Then, with a sponge, I dripped some watered down acrylic craft paints (like you get at Michaels or Walmart) in burnt orange, brown, and a metallic green color.

·
Mummy Dearest
1,149 Posts
Loves Witches!

We did the Witch theme last year. It was a lot of fun, and just you talking about it makes me want to do it again. There are so many inspirational forum members out there. You mentioned you had other props, think about incorporating them, too. We added a little cemetery because we already had those props and we did a spider web section, too. We bought tons of dollar store witch hats, too. If you have props that aren't witches, dress them up. We went for the hag/ old woman witch vein, but there is so much you can do on a budget.

We added cornstalks to hide lights, fog machines and to add a bunch of places to scare people.

We made a giant 10 foot witch arbor for our entryway. Lots of branches from all over. Our trees, neighbors, etc. We only had to pay for the material for the frame.

Floating hats of course.

Cauldrons. We actually bought two real cauldrons from craigslist and had a real fire. This one is a fake plastic one and we made fake fire, too.

EEEeeeek. I'm so excited for you!!

·
Mummy Dearest
1,149 Posts
How are you kids doing those hats floating in the air? Lots of fishing line strung from different places? They look terrific - what a fun idea.
One of the cheapest and neatest effects. You got it. We had line going from four different locations and then we strung up the hats at different lengths from the line. It made for some neat effects.

You know those ghosts that move along the line? Well, we took the ghosts off and put hats on them. So, we had moving hats (not from the wind), too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts