Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I think I may have messed up in getting some free lumber that I possibly could have used in some props. My company bought a large building across the street from our current corporate office that I work in, and they have been renovating it in order to move some departments over there from our current building. I saw so many pallets and skids that were left laying around and every day I kept thinking I should get some of them. BUT, I didn't and now they've been cleaned up and hauled off.

Also, living in Oklahoma, we had a tornado come through a couple of weeks ago - it was ONLY an F1 which means it blew trees and fences over. So, a lot of people in my housing addition have been replacing privacy fences and the old stuff was placed out on the curb to be picked up by the city. Uhh.....I probably should have grabbed some of that?

I know people have used that stuff to make toe pinchers, etc. I'm not very handy and don't have power tools other than a drill, heat gun, and a dremel. Sooooooo.....part of me says I would have collected that and it would have sat around and I would have had my wife getting on me. :)

Just curious if any of you would have collected it and what you would have used it for?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If you only have only few and suspect "Tools" they are not as likely to be stolen or borrowed and then not returned!
When I got my house I had a very miserable ,and tiny tool collection, but I did get a lot of work done!
Living where you do , I would have made some Conestoga wagons remains or some complete ones?
All pallets are not created "equal". They might be stapled together ,they might be Oak and splinter when you try to pull apart the little boards.
I was given some very impressive pallets that came from Europe,nice wood,smooth surfaces almost no knots. I built a "Cat Corral" we had some kittens at the time who needed "corralling",we also made some housing for them,eventually.
The wind-destroyed fencing might have been half rotted already,that's why it was replaced when they had the opportunity to do so.
Fencing is usually longer pieces of wood,good for many things,like a full-sized... Conestoga wagon! Or full-sized coffins. Don't be hyper-critical of your workmanship for at least a few years,Halloween is done mostly in the dark!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hey Okie! We lost some branches and awnings, like you said, for a tornado we did pretty good. I've seen some fence panels out on the curb waiting for big trash pickup, but my hubby won't let me get any. No storage. The only thing I've heard about picking up old fence panels, be sure and check for termites. We had a problem with them in Moore. Well, a neighbor had a problem, so we all ended up with them. :mad: As far as pallets, check the Free post on Craig's List. There are usually a couple every month. Once they were trying to get rid of wooden shipping crates. All that wood! Of course hubby said no. Party pooper.

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
Thats pretty much all i use. My day job is a warehouse supervisor, so i have a whole backyard full of pallets and make my entire walkthrough frame out of them. As far as termites, we don't really have a problem with that out here in the desert. but i make coffins, frame work with them, fencing etc.

My tool set wasn't always as grand as it is now. I started with a drill and staple gun. 20 years later, well lets just say there's not enough room on this message to list them all LOL. My point being as the years go by you will start collecting more and more tools as your projects become more and more complex.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Okie! We lost some branches and awnings, like you said, for a tornado we did pretty good. I've seen some fence panels out on the curb waiting for big trash pickup, but my hubby won't let me get any. No storage. The only thing I've heard about picking up old fence panels, be sure and check for termites. We had a problem with them in Moore. Well, a neighbor had a problem, so we all ended up with them. :mad: As far as pallets, check the Free post on Craig's List. There are usually a couple every month. Once the were trying to get rid of wooden shipping crates. All that wood! Of course hubby said no. Party pooper.
We're in SW OKC - hilarious about your hubs being a party pooper! My wife didn't want me dragging home anything because I'm notorious for starting stuff and not finishing ;) Plus, no storage. Garage is already filled with graveyard fencing and tombstones. I guess I just saved myself from a tongue lashing and trying to figure out where to store more stuff.

Thank you to the rest of you all for your responses. I've always been curious how people re-use items. It's fun to hear what you do and/or would do with the stuff.

My want to dos for this coming halloween is something like a pumpkin creeper or a version of a pumpkinrot prop for the cemetary...and still want to do a singing pumpkin display for the little tots and then carve some additional foam pumpkins to add to what I have already. So, I wouldn't have time to mess with pallets anyway. Not even sure I'll get what I want to do done as it is! :) Happy weekend to you all.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I've used pallets for coffins and tombstones and old fence for coffins and a shack for my cauldron creep. I came across more fencing after Halloween and plan on adding a shack for witches to this years haunt and if I can come up with enough pallets and cornstalks, I will make fencing similar to what jdubbya did for his maze.

Never turn down pallets or fence. The beauty of both is that they can be stored outside and they only look better as a result of that

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
Get yourself a jigsaw. You can pick one up for $30 at home depot. I made my toe pincher with that. You can also use them for cutting up foam tombstones. I used fence boards for my toe pincher, but I had to buy them.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,773 Posts
Don't feel bad about not picking stuff up. I don't pick up stuff daily.

We had our local bulk trash pick-up today & I had to just not go out looking at stuff otherwise I'd have waaay too much stuff I'd never get around to using too. I do the same thing, start something & then start something else & then all of a sudden I've got 5 things halfway done instead of 2 complete projects.

I work for an HVAC/plumbing company & we get pallets galore & all sorts of other cool potential builidng material I just have to, as Elsa says, Let It Go!!! Otherwise I'd have a garage full of what most would perceive as garbage. But I also know that if I want free pallets, I can get them here any time.

Seriously, if anyone needs big pieces of cardboard, boxes, or pallets, check with any local HVAC/plumbing company because they get them all the time & recycle a few but trash the rest.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only 300???? ;) definitely going to get a jig saw. Will at minimum help me cut the big sheets of foam. Sure appreciate and enjoy reading the feedback. I'm trying to learn how to look at junk and picture it as treasure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts