Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to make a yellow radiation sign and paint the symbol with some sort of black light reactive "paint" I heard anti freeze glows but if you brush it on and let it dry does it still glow. If not what else glows?

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
when my dog pees on the carpet, that glows under black light

BTW: don't try that at home...you really reallly reaaalllllly don't want to know what the dogs been relieving himself on

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I used fluorescent painter's tube paint for the blue dots in my dot room. It really worked great and glowed better than the ones I spray-painted on from a can. This year I plan to paint over the spray-painted dots with the other colors from this brand to have it glow better. Here's a link to the tube of paint I used : 129075100 System 3 Acrylic Paint | Crafts, Etc! ® I got it Hobby Lobby but they sell it online at the link.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
when my dog pees on the carpet, that glows under black light

BTW: don't try that at home...you really reallly reaaalllllly don't want to know what the dogs been relieving himself on
:D :D :D lol i will go to bed a little less stupid tonight knowing that fact , that was too funny :p

ok , like the others said , fluorescent acrylic paint works , or ink markers (highligther ) will work too

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wanted to make a yellow radiation sign and paint the symbol with some sort of black light reactive "paint" I heard anti freeze glows but if you brush it on and let it dry does it still glow. If not what else glows?
Scorpions :D

Seriously, if you want BL specific paint, look for clearneon. It's not the cheapest but It does work well. BTW, it only glows in BL, it's invisible under standard light. I'm not sure that's quite the look you want or not, but it could be cool.

Clearneon Invisible Black light Paint, blacklight posters, glow in the dark, blacklight fixtures and bulbs, special effects, lighting, uv

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Highlighters ink, laundry detergents, tonic water if it has guinie in it. Some vitamins like a & b work if you crush them up and mix vinegar.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
We have 14 48" blacklights with which we flood our haunt. You can find party stores and novelty stores that will carry frogs and lizzards and other glow items. One of the favorites of our TOTs is a large cauldron that we fill with water, place and aquarium aerator in the bottom to make it bubble, then a mister is placed in the center and finally about 4 dozen gummy eyes that glow in the black light. Great effect.

For Blacklight paint, I've used dayglow tempra most often. Very hard to find a red that really looks like blood, but the idea is conveyed. Glow in the dark hairspay works great indoors, but will wash right off with rain or even heavy dew.

The best - by far - black light paint I've used can be found at Blacklight.com under the blacklight Paint/Ink section. Warning- this stuff cost less than some of the professional stuff I've priced, but is still not cheap. So far we've found it to be very durable - once dry, it won't wash off from rain or even sprinklers.

My favorite is the trasparent white. As advertised, it is clear during the day and VERY VERY WHITE at night. Again, not cheap.

BTW, We had some Mrs. Stewart's , bluing sitting around - very old - and tried that but did not get any glow when applied to any object. I suspect it needs reacts with cotton or other fabric to glow, because others have used it successfully.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. hopefuly eaither tonic water or highliter will work. We also need a blacklight. There was this great store that opened around halloween last year called spirit halloween and they had a 22inch black light for either 20 or 30 dollars.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Thanks. hopefuly eaither tonic water or highliter will work. We also need a blacklight. There was this great store that opened around halloween last year called spirit halloween and they had a 22inch black light for either 20 or 30 dollars.
I got a blacklight from Spencer's probably about 8 years ago... They're year round :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I didn't realize Spencer's sold blacklights year round... probably because I'm always trying to get in/out of there so fast... I feel so OLD in there! I usually end up buying a "really cute" keychain that turns out to be a bong or something, get horrified, and run out of there with my hung head as low as possible. :D

Maybe I will have to try again to look for black lights!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
You should be able to obtain black light tubes in a variety of lengths from any shop in your local area that deals in reptiles or exotic pets.

They are widely used in reptile husbandry to provide the UV light required by some reptiles (Lizards & Turtles) to produce vitamins.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
IMO, the best / most blacklight for your dollar is to buy a 48" shop light and bulbs at Home Depot. 48" blacklight bulbs were $20 each last I checked. Two-bulb fixtures were about $15-$18. Single 48" fixtures were about $25. Whichever way you go, this is a little more money than the 22" package to which you refer, but is many times more blacklight. Be sure that no incondescent light is making its way into your blacklight target area. The "white" light will significantly "dilute" the affect of the blacklights.

Using the "48 black light will allow you to mount it higher and / or farther away to light a nice sized area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its going to be infront of a barrel style thing. So the symbol will be up on the barrel and the blacklight will be pointing up from the ground. Unfortunatly though that Spirit halloween only opens up at the beginning of october so id have to wait unless we see a light fixture at a garage sale

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Its going to be infront of a barrel style thing. So the symbol will be up on the barrel and the blacklight will be pointing up from the ground. Unfortunatly though that Spirit halloween only opens up at the beginning of october so id have to wait unless we see a light fixture at a garage sale
Check Walmart in their light bulb section. I have a couple of smaller blacklight "packages" (bulb & fixture) from them that I use on the back side of the fence because they are skinny. I wrap them in several layers of clear garbage bag plastic and tape with clear shipping tape to protect them from the weather.

·
Registered
354 Posts
We bought one of the 97 cent light bulbs from walmart at halloween. Doesnt work and it sucks.
It sounds like you had purchased an incandescent black light. Yes those are horrible, they don't put out much UV at all. To get any decent output you'll need to find a fluorescent bulb fixture.

Has anyone tried the twist flourescent bulbs like these?:
Fluorescent Blacklight Twist Bulb

I would imagine that they should work well. I just don't want to drop that much money without knowing for sure.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts