Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have browsed a bit but I honestly don't know what it is I am looking for. We're doing a kids themed party this year, but I still would like it to be creepy, but not scary. I wanted to find something to black out our walls, or alternatively, hang to form a "hallway" through our house from the front to back door (completely open floor plan here with columns).

I would also like to do the same around our patio outside, to keep the kids on the patio and to set the scene for the party. It's just going to be a small class party, maybe 15-20 kids.

I thought what I was looking for was "scene setters" but I can only find 4ft tall ones, or if I do find ones that are 8ft tall they're like bloody looking, or gory and not at all what I 'd want for a kids party. Anyone have any ideas what I'm looking for and how to find it/procure it?

TIA
Liz

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Perhaps using black plastic sheeting with the 4foot scene setters would work? Make the upper portion look like a night sky? Add stars by flicking white paint, flying creature cut-outs (like bats, owls, and witches), tree shapes here and there (butcher paper with stripes of brown paint to resemble bark) and other halloween-ey types of things.

Or, double up the 4foot scene setters to make them 8foot tall? (I'm thinking stone walls and the like)

Or just the black plastic, and paint it up in a manner that would help your decorating? Home Depot has some really cheap cans of spray paint (white, black, and I think grey) - use these to create a basic stone texture (mottle the colors, and partially block the nozzle of the spray can with a popsicle stick to get a spattering of paint...that really helps it look like stone).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are large black trash bags an option? What about a brown or black tarp hung up? One thing that is fun and adds to the creepy factor is having cut up black bags dangling from the ceiling so you have to walk through them.

I ran a couple very successful haunts in Germany where having dangling cut up bags created great reactions

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Some scene setters are meant to be doubled so they are eight feet high and some of them have a top section/roll and a bottom. Some of them are also pretty plain but there are flat stick-on props/extras that you can attach to make a real scene and not just a backdrop.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Take a bit out of all those posts...you have a walkway designed down a hall...use a compressor ang give blasts of air at the feet....hang that cloth down in strips so it kinda blocks there views, fishing line works good to...using a strobe light down there is a good sight gag....areas like that static dummies work very good

·
Registered
56 Posts
The stone scene setters are meant to be stacked to 8' tall. The Gothic Mansion kit is awesome as well, gets stacked to 8" and is not the slightest bit gory. I use that one in my living room

1 - 8 of 8 Posts