Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was stood next to her yesterday......... very peacefull know one around took couple photos....... really makes you feel sorry what they went through at the trials.
The iron and copper/bronze gives a weird but yet haunting happy feeling to be around and i love the different colour petinas in the metals.
A lot of rain in the countryside so will get better with age

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for sharing, it's kind of haunting isn't it? The dress is amazing. My mum and I have always had a fascination for the Pendle witches ever since that Most Haunted episode.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A few miles from my house In Virginia Beach (USA) there is an area known as Whitchduct Point. It is where put a woman on trial. Her name was Grace Sherwood and in 1706 they tossed her into the Lynnhaven River. If she sank and drowned, she would be innocent but she floated and was found guilty of practicing witchcraft. A brutal method used for a long time here in Virginia. I have been to the area many times for marine contracting work and often worndered if I was standing on the ground used to the "Dunking".

Witchduck Point is the name of the location where suspected witch Grace Sherwood was subjected to trial by water July 10, 1706. It is located within the neighborhood of Witchduck in Virginia Beach, Virginia.[1]
http://www.witchduck.org/features/article.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchduck_Point

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will find the sculpture designers name and contact Salem etc in USA and see if I can cross reference names. Who knows. Perhaps I mAy get the designer to cross the pond and make one similar for you guys

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
That's a neat looking statue. Did her face look pock-marked like that in real life, I wonder?

Cool story, goosehunter. I used to live in Norfolk and Virginia Bch. Never heard that story, though.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Nice one burnley0 , read a little about the Pendle witch trials and listened to a documentary on BBC radio 4 extra that was very informative and also very sad thanks for letting everyone know about the sculpture , very sad tale but at least theres a rememberance to future generations of the local history and to what happened . By the way gooosehunter the dunking method you mentioned in Virginia was also common over here as you probably know but funnily enough was more commonly known in my local area i,m not sure about northern england as ducking rather than your U.S. term dunking but was intended to get just the same results , it always sickened me that if you drowned you were innocent if you lived you were guilty , wonder what evil twisted genius thought that one up ??? thanks for the info on your local story as well .

·
Registered
650 Posts
Very interesting! Thanks so much for sharing some of your history. What religious fanatics have done and still do all in the name of faith and God astounds me. So sad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts