Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year for Halloween I want to decorate my house and yard with the theme Nightmare before Christmas. My mind is whirling with ideas, and I can seem to think how to decorate so I give the movie justice. I dont want to go completely overboard. Any and all ideas are absolutely welcome.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Hey Krista ! Welcome to the forums!

There's lots of fans of Nightmare Before Christmas here...the "not going completely overboard" part could be a little tough though. ;)

One of our members, kam3152, has a blog with instructions for a lot of NBC stuff here...
http://diynmbcprops.blogspot.com/

I know crafty girl has almost all the NBC characters represented in her yard. You can see some photos here...
http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/craftygirl-albums-nightmare-before-christmas-2013-a.html

There's also more than a few "work in progress" threads for building a full size Jack Skellington. And I think a member or two have built Ooogie Boogie's as well.

I'm sure other people will chime in with more suggestions but maybe that will get the ball rolling.

OH, and I'm sure I've seen a thread where someone just took standard rubber ducks and "Nightmared" them. That'd be an easy one. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mind going a little over board, but my yard is small. I kind of want to recreate a scene from NBC like the opening scene. I have a large tree I can hang skeletons from. I just don't know how to make a fountain like in the opening scene. I guess having some tomb stones around the yard? I just dont know where to begin. lol

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Oooh! The fountain is tough. I'm not sure even where I'd start with that. I guess there's questions like how crafty are you? And how much time and energy do you want to put in? And what kind of weather does it need to hold up to?

Is this the fountain you're thinking of?

I'm talking out of my butt here but I think maybe using pieces of rebar as a support, then building a rough shape out of plastic bottles cardboard and duct tape?, and then covering with paper mache? I'm guessing the...um...water you might be able to do somehow with Great Stuff expanding foam. then maybe cover the rest in styrofoam.

You might want to take a look at Stolloween...He does all kinds of stuff with bottles, tape and paper maché but he is the master.
http://www.stolloween.com/?page_id=34

Depending on the size you might be able to use coffee filters for the scales.

This is beyond my sort of build so maybe someone smarter will chime in. As I say there's questions about whether it would need to be weather proofed, and how to keep it from collapsing under it's own weight. Not to mention cost.

Seriously, this is likely a lot of bad suggestions rolled into a single post but maybe they'll trigger something for you. ;)

You don't start small, do you? ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great theme and was thinking about doing this but it is just not scary enough for me. Post pics of you can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts