Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

Im torn and of course my friends are not as into Halloween as I am. But they arent the ones that have to get things ready. Im trying to figure out if its better to have a theme and hope people dress theme related or not? I also thought that maybe i should just leave it decorated the way i want and just ask everyone to wear a costume... And just create !!!!!

Any insight... I dont want to annoy anyone by asking them to dress according to a theme... Me i like the theme makes the costume picking easier, but I know the economy is bad and maybe people rather just throw something on they aready own even if its not theme related.

I think ....I think to much....HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Do what you want to do.

If you spend all your time trying to please others, you'll drive yourself nuts. Some people will come in costume & bring food, others won't. I've given up trying to figure out people.

Each year I invite many people to my Halloween party & Haunted Maze. Doesn't seem to matter how many people we invite, at least 50% show up. To try to combat that.... I just invite twice as many people. lol

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Just my opinion here, but i have never been into themes too much, because i really like to see what people come up with when they arrive. I guess i really like the diversity in the costumes. It is hard somtimes to get people to dress up wich i dont understand. Halloween only comes once a year so get out there and tear it up. Of course there is no wrong answer here, if it's your party then it is up to you.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,078 Posts
I wouldn't try to force a theme unless you had friends that were really into Halloween.

I'd sweeten the pot, so to speak, by offering costume contest prizes for scariest, funniest, most original...etc.. if you really want to try to encourage costumes.

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
I think it would be best to let them wear whatever they want, especially if you have trouble getting them to show up in dress. I am planning on maybe a mad scientist theme for the inside decorations of the house, but I am not requiring that everyone dress according to that theme.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody for your insight. I am going to create my own horror film...so to speak. Leaving everyone to come dressed however they want. I have been very lucky to have everyone get dressed in costume but 1 person.

Kurtztown...a play off my last name. Im going for a cross of Hills have Eyes/Wrong Turn/ House of 1000 Corpses. Just some backwards woods people...

Im from New jersey right near the Pine lands which is know for the Jersey Devil...

Any suggestions would be great. I have an army of monsters . 10 skeletons. 12zombies(full body) and a handfull of severed heads..

I think more then anything I just wanted my displays to have a story and not just willie nillie....

Thanks again everyone it helped alot....

·
Registered
898 Posts
You could decorate with a theme and costume yourself accordingly, and let on in your invite to the theme, but only request people come in costumes. Then if anyone wants to get into the theme they can, but others will where what they want.
I think you are right about people not being as into it and not having money to spend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe you can decorate with a theme, dress with the theme and let everyone else go where ever their imagination takes them.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
We do a theme every year and I like it! It gives me a specific idea to focus on through out the year. A lot of people come in costume to match the theme, I think they like having an idea to work with. some come in other costumes and of course that is fine, I am just happy if you dress up!

By Christmas Everyone is asking me 'What is this years theme?" When I tell them you see them nod their head, narrow their eyes, and start thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
How's this for an idea...

Setup the walkway to front door as a Hollywood premiere gone bad (complete with red carpet & those saction posts with ropes). A couple of Up can lights could double as mini spotlights. Severed body parts, blood, & corpses of media waiting to greet guests... are scattered along the "red carpet." This would trail into the front entry, where a old movie projector is left running... just projecting white light. It's like the monsters escaped from the film into real life.

Some people could be dressed as film crew members- Director, Sound, etc. A couple of people to play the hero characters. Countless people to fill in as creatures. Could have a room set aside as a "screening room", showing old Universal classic movie monster films.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
In answering jdubbya's question "do you have too much Halloween stuff?" on another thread, I realized that having a theme every year makes me collect more and more stuff, because every year I have to get appropriate decor for the "theme". So I guess what I'm trying to say is....having a theme each year might cost more money in the long run. But will I stop doing it? Probably not!! :D

Do what makes you happy. The horror movie idea sounds great, run with it.

P.S. I'm a Jersey girl too, went to Freehold High School. Grew up at Girl Scout camp with stories about the Jersey Devil!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
When I started out doing parties, I never set a theme - just fancy dress. After a couple of parties had been completed successfully, I introduced my very widespread theme of TV & Film last year, which was a hit, and so now I have a solid base of guests I can afford to head into a more specific theme. The theme is really for my benefit, as it makes the party planning more interesting, but my guests are very excited by the idea of a theme, although there are always going to be a couple of people who don't seem to fit with it, whatever you decide.

One way to provide incentive to join the theme is to do specific costume prizes so the people who participate in the theme are eligible for prizes - for example, last year with my TV & Film theme, I had "most authentic character", "most original character" etc, to encourage guests to dress as film & TV characters. I also did a general "best costume" prize which was voted for, so that people who didn't dress on-theme could still have a chance to win at least one prize. Maybe try something like that with your guests? I say go with what you feel like! It's your party too! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts