Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a building a few years ago that was a church, in 09 I would like to set up a haunted house "haunted Church";So I'm trying to come up Some kind of theme and some props to build over the coming months. and I would like to ask the community for some Idea's.

·
Banned
524 Posts
IMO, I would stay away from something like that in this day in age. It could be construed the wrong way by some people. While I think the idea sounds good, it is pushing the boundaries to what is suitable for some. It might cause some negative feedback and it doesn't take much to start a uproar. Just remember, Halloween might only be one day, but your presence and reputation in your community will be slandered for it by those who disagree with how you portray a church year round.

Now with that said, if you do something tasteful you might be able to get away with it. One idea you can do is make it more like a house of choices. More religion based with something on a purgatory theme. It will be more of a story board from room to room that shows you the outcome of your poor choices and where it will end you up. We used to have a Haunted House like that here but wasn't in a Church and it was very popular. Let me do some digging around and see if I can find you some exact details on it.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Yeah, I agree with Texan, a 'haunted church' could give you some unintended grief. Instead, I would just make a haunt. Now the church structure is probably great to make a Dracula's castle. Some minor changes to get rid of church icons and you are good to go.

Halloween Horror Nights had a great Dracula house one year. They called it Castle Vampyr. The one element that really made an impression is they had a ceiling that was open in many areas (like a floor had fallen through, etc.) and they had vampires that were on those contraptions that makes it look like you are flying and they buzzed around up there scaring the daylights out of you. Also, they had a 'Blade' inspired Techno dance room. Here's some pictures I found of some of the rooms there:

Here's the entrance room:

Body storage:

Dining room:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
let me clearafy: it used to be a church years ago now it's just a building.I do see the point of repurcusings though.But the the building would/will make a great huant.and the castel vampyr is kinda the thought.thinking more like skelotn, graveyard, Ghosts more than gore and blood everywhere.I'll post some pics later of the inside and out.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Does it still look like a church, was the church the last thing to occupy this building?

Keep in mind, that in order to operate this in a church you are going to need to make sure this building is zone for commercial use to get the proper permits and C.O.

If it has been vacant for years since it has been used it could strike some nerves in the community that someone is taking a church and turning it into a Haunted House for one month out of a year. Just keep that in mind because that is a huge investment to get negative publicity and a bad rep for yourself.

Who buys a old church building for anyways and does nothing with it for a couple of years?

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do a 'haunted church' theme. Too easy to get hassled about being a Satanic cult and it's not like haunters don't get enough of *that* nonsense. If you like ghosts and graveyards more than gore, think about going with a narrative ghost story. Find something regional if you can or write something basic--restless spirits of homicidal landowner and victims scare the bejeesus out of townsfolk for generations is usually a good start. It's hard to go wrong with jealousy, insanity, murder, suicide or other untimely death as the foundation for a haunting. A classic vengeful spirit takes out its wrath on the living is hard to beat. This gives options like a family cemetery and/or crypt, unmarked graves of victims, ghosts, skeletons, zombies, corpses, scarecrows, maybe witches or a vampire or werewolf. And it can allow some gore if you decide to throw some into the mix. Nothing like a bloody apparition appearing right in front of them to get a deafening, bone-etching shriek out of a teen girl. The up side to a narrative is that each room/scene builds on previous scenes and moves toward a climactic uber-scare near the end. The down side is that it takes some serious prep work for your audience to figure out and/or understand the storyline.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I say do what you want. You can't please everyone. The people that want to come will and the ones that don't wont. They might even stir up some controversy that will wind up giving you publicity anyways.

Besides, If I'm understanding you right, It is a building that a church used to use for service not an actual church with a steeple and cross. If its empty use it. Not sure about a haunted church theme but if thats what you want to do go for it. Besides I've been to several haunts that had funeral scenes with the stain glass windows, crosses, church seating the whole nine yards. just my 1/2 cent.

·
Banned
524 Posts
Negative publicity is not always good publicity. The people that won't come are usually the first that will come forward and say something about disliking it and cause you problems. You don't ever hear anything from those that do like it. That is one problem with this world today. People have no problem speaking there mind when it is for no good, but you don't hardly ever hear people speaking up or defending for the the good of a person when they have done something right or they agree with.

We don't know that this wasn't a Church with a steeple and cross. He just said he bought a building that use to be a Church. If it was a old grocery store turned church then became vacant it probably wouldn't be such a big deal, But seeing he said he wanted to do a "haunted Church" then I am going to assume this building was actually built as a Church and looks like a Church, etc...

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it does not look like a church still then no need to worry about it. Can't wait to see the pictures. I think a funeral home haunt would be awesome. If your church building isn't like some of the ones that are just old rented out Kmarts that people are turning into churches(nothing wrong with that, where two or more are gathered in my name and all that), but actually has some really cool architectural features then you are set up for one detailed, kick a$$ haunt. I'm jeleaous.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's some photos of the outside and a few of the inside the upstairs has a second floor balcony.the Basement is where I am building my new home(Not shown).The haunted church is just a working name for the project. What I'd like to here is some ideas for a theme what would YOU do for a theme and what kinda props would you use?

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
I think the building is generic enough to do whatever you want without a community uproar. For some reason when I look at the pictures I keep flashing on the court room scene in "To Kill a Mockingbird." Would it be weird to remake the courtroom with corpses replaying murder trials? Just a thought.;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Would it be weird to remake the courtroom with corpses replaying murder trials? Just a thought.;)
Hmm....I think I have to agree with walkingcorpse about the courtroom look to the building, how about a Salem Witch trial type theme? I could even see a Pepper's ghost illusion type set-up off to the side, you know like the spirits of the innocently accused and executed still walking the courtroom where they were unjustly sentenced. You could make a whole storyline around the trials to scare your visitors with. I really like the building, good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ok just out of curiosity, where is this building located? By the Snow, and if it is a recent picture you are well up north. Being originally from the north, an from a town that only had 4 churches in it, and 2 of them had bars in the basement. I think you could get away with any type of haunt, Unlike the here in the South where there are 4 churches on every block. But thats just mho.
As for what I think about the look of the building, I would go for the Mansion idea. I feel that it is aesthetically believable. I personally would quite possibly even create a sign now, "Wolf Dog Manor" (or what ever) just to get a jump on re-inventing the buildings image, that way come halloween less people will be thinking of it as the old church.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The manison is kind my thought,but I kinda stirring around the court room though Hmmm.Any one want to go into a storyline and some prop thoughts on that?If I started now I could maybe build a couple of 3 axis skulls/skelotons and maybe a jury of skeletons or something.Hmmm. And quakrspecl your right how did you guess?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Aw, it wasn't a guess really. A little cheat with Google maybe.

Daddydawg's Computers was evident in one of your interior photos. That, along with your user name here, suggested the church may be near the HQ of your business.

q
:cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is there easy roof access? (hatch in the second floor)? I can see large gargoyles in the corners, and above the doors, then small one between them. The PVC fence around it, with tall columns at the entrance with perhaps an archway that reads "Insane Asylumn" (SP?) ,the windows either barred, or boarded. A mad scientist sillowette in the round window. Inside you could have the electric shock treatment room, a labotomy room, Caged zombie inmates, that are trying to escape.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts