Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when my cousin found out I was going almost pure DIY for Halloween and working with a budget of near zero dollars she gifted me a giant pile of rats... 23 10" rubber rats to be exact and they are all in this giant pumpkin bucket.

IMG_20160923_203139.jpg

The issue for me is one side of my house is attached to a park and down the other way is a high school so I figured items like these would be easy pickings for all the teenagers passing by. I was wondering what some of you do to deter theft? My plan for now is to just zip tie down what rats I can and pray for the rest of my props :eek: Any advice for securing props or deterring theft of them would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Most of us who are worried about theft wait until the day of Halloween to decorate. Personally, I put out the least expensive and easiest to make props out first. My easy to make clothesline spider webs can go out October 1st but my homemade ghost that cannot be replaced easily isn't going out until 4 pm on October 31st when trick-or-treat starts at 5 pm.

Love the bucket! I have the same one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder if a clever sign out front about having a camera for catching scary faces and sticky fingers would help. If you are DIY'ing on a budget, think about repurposing something left on a curb for this project. In my area, you can always find some kind of entertainment center, dresser, or end table on the side of the road that can be taken apart for the wood to make a sign.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
First thing is don't use cameras. They are worthless! Unless you want a great souvenir video of your props getting stolen, don't waste your money. If you want to protect your props you need to either stop the theft from occurring or be able to locate the item after it's been stolen.

To the former, for large props I use Doberman window alarms that Home Depot sells. These are about the size of a Pringles can lid and can be hid in most large props. You turn them on, set them in, and if anyone jostles the prop there's a 100db alarm that goes off. That sends most thieves running... as well as a couple of yard guys I had who hated me scaring the crap out of them when they jostled our Creature while cutting the grass one day. :) These cost $10-$20, which is cheap insurance when you're talking about props worth a couple hundred bucks or more. For smaller props like these rats I would go to the store and get some clear corn syrup and coat them with it. It makes them sticky, and when someone picks one up and they feel that stickiness they tend to drop it because they don't know what it is.

For recovery, I've been buying those GPS tags that you can get for under $10 a piece. They're about the size of a quarter and you slip them into a prop. If it gets stolen you activate it with a smart phone and it tells the cops exactly where the prop is. Imagine little Johnny Miscreant's surprise when the cops show up at his door with a search warrant in hand. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Firstly, i fence in my display. Secondly, i place two I.P. Cameras covering my site and downloading Vid. Files to my server. Thirdly, and most importantly, my wife and i always dress up for halloween to hand out candy (and to scare the TOT's). Theft is always a possibility and i never set up my display until Halloween afternoon with the help of my kids. I do have some static displays that i set up a day or two ahead of time but these are pretty much out of reach of anyone so they're good. Diligence is the key to avoiding theft and damage on Halloween for sure!.........good luck!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I do some of the things listed already - we don't put out expensive or important-to-us items until the day of Halloween, and we do use a DIY fence to help keep people from walking through the yard.

We use a lot of rebar to hold up props that we ziptie to the rebar, and that helps too. We also leave our porch light on all night & have a couple of motion lights on our garage that will come on if people walk up to our door/front yard area.

If you are starting out on a budget & really want to hold onto everything you have, maybe you can get creative with your display.

For example, maybe with your rats, you can glue them to larger pieces of plywood or chunks of planks that you paint black. Then, drill a hole into the plank and set it on the ground where you want to display it. Then use a metal camping stake through the hole to hold it down. They won't blow away & if someone wants to take it, they will at least have to do a little bit of work and the rat will be larger with teh chunk of wood so they can't just slide it into a pocket.

Consider using your limited budget for some spotlights or fire & ice lights that you can shine onto your displays. I do think that light can help deter people who would steal based on opportunity.

Good luck! I hope you aren't a theft victim!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some dry brushing with a bit of brown paint would give those rats some highlights and make them look incredibly real.

Like others, we don't put out anything before Halloween afternoon that we aren't willing to lose. You could concentrate your decorating efforts on your windows, using whatever you have. Mini-lights are cheap and very effective in windows to accent pumpkins,skeletons, etc.. At least then there are no worries about theft. Then move everything outside on the big day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Some of these ideas are great and I will be using a few to help this year. I was planning on setting up all my props the first week of October but now I might wait till a little later... I am just too excited lol.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
We start setting up Oct 1, and I have no worries about putting our stuff out. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lots of good ideas here. I have been using the wireless driveway alerts that you can get at harbor freight. I still don't put out my expensive props or my homemade ones until Halloween day. I have already started setting up with my "cheaper" props and will do "test" nights with all my props out during the month to get my haunt just the way I want it that way I'm not scrambling on Halloween night.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts