Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is there -- a picture, item, or book/record cover, which gives you the strongest impression of being vintage Halloween? Maybe it's from your childhood, and most especially with the web and E-bay, coming across something which personally says vintage like nothing else. Here are a few:

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a tape of spooky haunted house sounds that I got from a book order at school when I was 8 or 9. I thought i has really made it to the big time haunt once I had that tape to play on Halloween. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work anymore but I keep it with my Halloween stuff because I love seeing it while I'm getting decorations out every year.
That and my collection of McDonald Chicken McNuggets in Halloween costumes!! (I have the entire set, jealous everyone?) haha

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
.My Nan had an old plastic cat mask with built in whiskers, the old cardboard cutouts, and some plastic costumeskirts that I will always remember the smell of. I know it sounds ridiculous, but every year when she took out her Halloween stuff...those items always had a certain smell to them that was an instant boost of Halloween spirit to me :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Well I was going to post a picture of the Beistle Jointed Witch that wears mostly purple I think.

Its one Halloween decoration I remember hanging on my Grandma's door and I saw it on Ebay a few days ago for $14. I was tempted but it was $14 for cheap cardboard. I can't even find a pic now.

My Grandma and I have spent most of my Halloweens together. First she would take my cousin and I Trick-Or-Treating, which was always a blast. Then I think in my teenage years and really early twenties I spent them with various friends. (the worst one ever was when we invited a couple of friends over to watch scary movies and we ended up watching the movie 300... on Halloween... because they really didn't like scary movies :rolleyes: ).

But for the last few years, my husband and I go to her house to hand out candy, watch scary movies and eat junk food (usually chili-cheese dip and pigs in a blanket). She's just about to buy a new 60 inch tv too... so this year should be quite a bit of a better view than her old clunker. LOL. She keeps saying 'I just want to get it so we have it for Halloween'... lol.

But yeah, being with her and that witch really reminds me of the younger years. Lol! I'll post a pic or two sometime. I would like the thread to keep going too.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"13 Horrors of Halloween" is my favorite Halloween book, and one of the best all-around anthologies I've ever read. Picked it up a long time ago in a Waldens, and the stories were excellent, a few of them really powerful. The coolest part of this for me was that my favorite one in the book is "Pumpkinhead" by Al Sarrantonio. When I first bought the book, I hadn't started writing, and didn't even start until years later. When Bad Moon Books released THE WATCHING, it kicked off their annual Halloween line, but we also did a special chapbook promotion along with it called BAD CANDY, which featured two of my own short stories, and we also got Al Sarrantonio on board to reprint "Pumpkinhead." So it was really special for me to be published with him in the same book, and with a story that I enjoyed so much and helped influence my own writing.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truly a vintage item now, one of the very first Yankee candles called Halloween. Rare Yankee candle, and it's never been burned. I've posted this one in several threads already, but so many people have told me how rare it is that I think it's cool to share.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 107 Posts