Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this would be an awesome theme for a Halloween party or a haunt, indoors or out. The most traditional and historic Halloween party of all-time was the Van Tassel annual Halloween party, held by Baltus Van Tassel, and attended by the rivals Ichabod Crane and Brom Bones, both in competition for Katrina's affections. To get a great feel for this, all one need do is read THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW, or watch either the Disney version or Tim Burton's. The Disney animated has the great vision of Brom Bones as he recites the tale of the Headless Horseman, with a terrified Ichabod listening on. The Tim Burton movie has the party taking place early on as constable Crane arrives in town. Has anyone ever tried this? I think it would be a bold undertaking, and I would love to hear someone's ideas or attempts.

·
Halloween Nut
2,941 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife doesn't even want to have a party this year...Many of our friends are simply not into Halloween, and have little knowledge or background into the depth, scope, and culture of the holiday. We are in the process of selling our house too, and will wait until probably next year for another one. All the work I've ever done for the Halloween parties were mostly appreciated by myself, so that's why I really have one. I hear similar stories on the board as well, and I always tell people do it for yourself first. Some of you might be lucky and have a good core of friends who appreciate it. A lot of people these days use any event as an excuse just to get loaded. I did check out the thread on the Sleepy Hollow themed party before, and it looks really cool. My idea was more focused on replicating the Van Tassel party itself, but any attempt seems great to me. You will never go wrong with a match of Halloween and Sleepy Hollow. They are too closely intertwined. ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I really want to have that kind of party. I tried, but once my husband started helping with a lot of enthusiasm, all of a sudden zombies were apart of it. I at least stopped the whole plane wreck with zombies all around it. It just became about general Halloween stuff more then a sleepy hollow sort of theme. It was the first Halloween my husband ever got into with me, so I'll take what I can get.

Maybe next year I can push the Van Tassel / sleepy hollow thing. It would be so much fun. Its my most favorite Halloween story.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I think this would be an awesome theme for a Halloween party or a haunt, indoors or out. The most traditional and historic Halloween party of all-time was the Van Tassel annual Halloween party, held by Baltus Van Tassel, and attended by the rivals Ichabod Crane and Brom Bones, both in competition for Katrina's affections. To get a great feel for this, all one need do is read THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW, or watch either the Disney version or Tim Burton's. The Disney animated has the great vision of Brom Bones as he recites the tale of the Headless Horseman, with a terrified Ichabod listening on. The Tim Burton movie has the party taking place early on as constable Crane arrives in town. Has anyone ever tried this? I think it would be a bold undertaking, and I would love to hear someone's ideas or attempts.
...I just want to go to a party like that one they had at the girlfriend's house in Hocus Pocus, everyone in 18th century costumes and, DAT HOUSE & DECOR. Which sounds akin to your idea, unfortunately it'll probably never happen for me.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Wow, a party trying to reproduce that in Sleepy Hollow... That's awesome! Lotsa Traditional Jack O'Lanterns. Scarecrows. Hay bales. Apple Cider. Pumpkin pie. Candle light. Ghost stories.

It it will be EPIC!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can always do what I've been doing for some years. Sit and watch both Disney's THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW and Tim Burton's SLEEPY HOLLOW while surrounded by our own traditional Halloween décor. ;)

I started a post before that I need to resurrect about traditional Halloween parties, like having one in a barn. The idea just seems so basic and down-to-earth. Good old-fashioned fall and Halloween fun. I heard about one locally years ago but I didn't know the hosting people so unfortunately I wasn't invited...:(

·
Registered
386 Posts
I love this idea. I think I've found my 2015 theme! so a big thank you for that.
I have hosted a Sleepy Hollow party in the past but this is a fresh new approach.

Now .. to find people who will actually want to come.... that's the hard part for me. Most Halloween Partys, I invite 30-40 and I get 8-12.
It's depressing in a way because I put soo much work into everything and I love Halloween sooo much!.

I like what you said, you do it for yourself. It's the truth. I feel very accomplished while I'm creating and setting and planning.
I can tell you, when I have my St Patrick's day party.. I invite 30-40 and I get 50.... Must be the homemade corned beef paired with Guinness...
Every year I give a speech to the St Patrick crowd... I Love St Patrick but Halloween is where it's at! Be sure to save the date!...(never really works, but I feel better)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts