Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So,

since most of our intended project this year is being put on hold. Instead, we are looking at remodeling the house as a first option. Moving as a second.

Didn't feel right to throw this stuff up in general, but still figured on documenting, so here we are.

Unlike TK421, we're not doing the total haunted mansion makeover, but rather just additions to fit our life.

We've spent a couple weeks now talking to a drafter about plans, and getting the rough idea of what is where down.

I'll start with the basement as it's the easiest to show.

Everything on the right here is new construction. The "storage" at the top, we plan to take down that wall and add the space to the 'rec room', though that might be at a later time, not in this particular production, depending on budget when we get there. The upstairs is the primary focus for the budget.

Hallowworkshop on bottom right is of particular interest. (I presently don't have a workshop at all)

Upstairs is a little more funky what's new vs what's old. If you look real close (didn't scan well) there's a dotted line through it where the current wall sits.

The primary goal with the upstairs was to expand the "great room" and the kitchen. These have been a planned expansion since we moved in.

Our Kitchen is presently the pinnacle of low to mid budget 80's design. Drop ceiling, crappy counters, cramped cupboards, horrid lighting, and all the amenities I grew up with.

The great room we presently have just BARELY fits all our family (brothers and sisters, nieces/nephews) at holidays, if we remove all the couches every time. Not to mention our oldest is 17, not long before he's out and potentially expanding family. We needed a bigger space for this.

The laundry is presently in a little room at the garage entrance, walled off from the Kitchen. We're turning that into a little locker room for the kid's crap and moving the laundry to the end of the hall by the master bedroom.

That master bedroom plan has been through the most changes over the years, at some points planning a deck with hot tub.

However, the current "Master Bath" would fit inside this plans' shower and linen closet. Along with making room for the laundry, the full expansion out makes the most sense.

Once we get the plans finalized, we can start looking at the budget more fully (need the plans for an accurate quote) and decide whether moving might be better.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,782 Posts
Good luck!

Our house is a 1958 rambler, 2 floors, & we're finally in a position money-wise to do stuff after being here over 10 years. We got new windows since the originals leaked like a sieve, some new doors & a new roof.

Since the place is old we have so many things to do that we don't even know where to start. We finally sat down & made a list last weekend & now it's a coin toss between water treatment (we have hard well water that's not great on pipes & hot water heaters) & attic insulation. I work for a HVAC/plumbing company so we'll most likely do the stuff they can do first since I'll get a bit of a discount & it'll be easy to schedule & work around.

Which reminds me, I need to get a water sample in to work so they can tell me what sort of treatment I need.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good luck!

Our house is a 1958 rambler, 2 floors, & we're finally in a position money-wise to do stuff after being here over 10 years. We got new windows since the originals leaked like a sieve, some new doors & a new roof.
Yep, been here 10 years now ourselves, and just getting around to the upgrade we've wanted since moving in. Would have started this a couple years ago had my job been more steady at the time.

Since the place is old we have so many things to do that we don't even know where to start. We finally sat down & made a list last weekend & now it's a coin toss between water treatment (we have hard well water that's not great on pipes & hot water heaters) & attic insulation. I work for a HVAC/plumbing company so we'll most likely do the stuff they can do first since I'll get a bit of a discount & it'll be easy to schedule & work around.

Which reminds me, I need to get a water sample in to work so they can tell me what sort of treatment I need.
We've had a swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) since moving in and HVAC is one of the many upgrades we've wanted. I'm a little nervous about the switch since the power company gets to put a box on your HVAC to shut it off for brown outs if it needs to. The swamp cooler was at least off that system, but the upkeep of that cooler was getting daunting (at 10 years old, it was about ready for major work/replacement), especially as I'm afraid of heights and the constant climb to the roof...

The quote came in considerably less than early estimates, so we're moving forward. Crossing fingers on the bank's appraisal based on the drawings lining up where we want it.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Early news from the bank is incredibly favorable. Not the official appraisal, but they looked up comps and made some estimates what they think it would come in at, and it should add considerably more value than the cost of the remodel, so all looking good.

Deposit in with the builder, we're getting the permits going forward there. Loan with the bank officially under way.

All this waiting is the worst...

Looking like early June groundbreaking now, which likely pushes completion beyond Halloween...

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Official appraisal come in finally. It's even better than the early numbers out of the bank. Nothing should stop the loan from going through, and that means a lot of lights just turned green.

Whirlwind of info from both builder and bank swirling today as I try to get everyone coordinated. Sounds like a mid June groundbreaking now, just in time for my birthday. At least I can finally see some progress being made instead of constant waiting.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The banking world is SLOOOOWWWW.

Anyhow, loan is clear to close, we'll close early next week. Finally. Can't believe they held us up several weeks in what should have been a no-brainer underwriting process. Oh well.

Hm, the design file is too big to upload, I'll see if I can make screens of it tonight.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the bank took long enough we're having to wait behind another project for the builder's crew now. :eek:

SoooooooOOOO.....

I'm going nuts.

This definitely puts us well into November, if not December now, with likely fairly heavy construction through October. :(

I am bound and determined to still put on the pumpkin party, but anything else is going to be played by ear.

I'll get some pics up tonight.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the bank took long enough we're having to wait behind another project for the builder's crew now. :eek:
Got a start date finally: Aug 1.

The silver lining is the kids will be back in school before we have strangers inside the house, so much less worrying that way.

Wont finish til Dec though. October will mean heavy construction.

Anyhow, some pics of the Kitchen plan:

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, they are getting a jump on it, apparently. The project ahead of us was put on hold, so the equipment moved up here a week early (that doesn't necessarily advance the rest of the schedule)

So, crappy before shot of the outside.

There is not a giant hole.

That window in the lower left...so, the backhoe hits a wasp nest. Driver freaks a bit, and takes out the window, filling the basement with angry wasps.

The crew is rushing around, and come in the house to find me in the middle of an angry swarm picking up the glass. See, I've been a bug guy longer than I've been a Halloween guy. These were paper wasps, not yellow jackets, and they are generally non-aggressive.

The crew asks why I'm not getting stung, and I told them, just act normal and they'll leave you alone. That lasts about 2 minutes before one starts arm flapping and getting stung.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hole mostly dug.

My lawn is probably not going to survive.

Week of 100+ temps, no access to water (hopefully it's back up next week)...They also had to pull one of my Raven Grasses, which kind of sucks. I'm trying to keep IT alive, but it's not looking good.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Talia on the latest updates.

Things are starting to really hop after a delay where a subcontractor just never showed on the drywall.

Floors going in today/tomorrow. Painting starts tomorrow. Cabinets and appliances deliver on Saturday, but painting is still going on till mid week next week, when installation of cabinets starts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts