Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started one of these last year for people to post their experiences/impressions of their local Spirit Stores once they open. Ours is opening this Thursday and I'll be one of the first ones in the place. Curious as to what everyone thinks about the set-up, selection, etc.. I always love going in when they first open and just looking around, although it helps that I get paid on Thursday so I "might" have to spend a little cash too!

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
We have a permanent Spirit store in Edmonton, I stopped by there Aug. 10 to check out new stock only to find it closed until end of August to set up for Halloween! I will check it out next weekend, I need some stuff for props we are making!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
We have a permanent Spirit store in Edmonton, I stopped by there Aug. 10 to check out new stock only to find it closed until end of August to set up for Halloween! I will check it out next weekend, I need some stuff for props we are making!
Seriously?!? Where is it located? I'm headed down this weekend for a roller derby bout in st.albert and to do back to school shopping for my boys I'd love to swing by!

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Moony_1 it is north of Stony Plain Rd on 168 Street - Mayfield NW area of Edmonton. I could not find a formal address on web or Spirit site, head North past Mayfield Common, it is on the west side next to a Canada Post sorting facility. I am going to see if it is reopen this weekend also?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Thank you Trex! I'll have to take a look! My parents live in gibbons so we stay there when we go to Edmonton! :)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ours opened today at noon. I was there shortly thereafter. Big space and a decent amount of inventory. The manager remembers me every year by name which I find funny! Some nice displays; asylum, clowns, zombies. Most of the animatronics were on display, however many were not turned on. Saw the jumping dog, the swinging jack o lantern guy, tall reaper, talking cherubs, grave mourner, to name a few. The crouching zombie boy was something I kind of had interest in until I saw/heard him. He didn't look as nice in person. The soundtrack is horribly cheesy with this unnecessary creepy music in the backround that just detracts from it, along with those glowing led eyes. The wheelchair lady was not working. The jack o lantern guy on a swing is actually pretty neat but IMO not worth the money. Looking closely at all the animatronic props and how cheaply they are made then looking at the price tag just reinforces to me why I won't buy them. The lawn scare display has a lot of stuff but the detail is sorely lacking on a lot of it. The zombie jockey boy is neat. The zombie flamingo is nice but one of them costs 16.99. Party City sells two of them, (albeit a different color variation) for $25.00 and they're made in the USA.The zombie babies look as awful as ever. Poor sculpts and paint jobs but if you want to drop $30.00 on one its up to you.
The didn't have all their stuff in yet; no lighting, fog machines, etc.. Poor selection of masks which has been a trend for them in recent years and a lot of stuff from last year. Fun stuff to look at and I'll definitely go back as I want to get some led spots and see what else they might have.

I did want one of the haunted dolls and they wanted $20.00 for one. Party City had them for $15.00
so I got it there instead.

Post your own experiences once you get to your store.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
My brother just text me and said they seen a Spirit TENT set up in the old Tops parking lot. A tent????

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
My brother just text me and said they seen a Spirit TENT set up in the old Tops parking lot. A tent????
Yeah, that is odd. Maybe it's just for the weekend and they're using the tent to introduce a grand opening? :)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really wanted to see the fortune teller prop. There was a boxed one on the floor but not set up yet. They still have a lot to do and a lot of stuff to put out yet so definitely checking back. I also re-submitted my email and was told they should start sending coupons out fairly soon.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
in the last few years, In Huntington, Spirit store has been using a tent. Not this year!!

Ugh. Really? How are the "tent" stores compared to the regular store space stores?

There are a few empty building spaces that could be used. Wonder why they are doing this?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our spirit store was set up in a tent. It was kinda chaotic to me. They had about the same stuff as the stores just no fancy displays. I like looking at the displays so i was disappointed.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I did want one of the haunted dolls and they wanted $20.00 for one. Party City had them for $15.00 so I got it there instead.
I saw them today and really wanted to grab the dolls, but I settled on just 'Monkey Chimes' until the coupons come out, since they only had two of him and I considered him a must-have. I paid $19.50 for the doll that you got, thanks to Oriental Trading not matching the Party City price (although, I did get a $5 'eCertificate' coupon later).

I was amused when a couple of little girls decided to follow me around for quite awhile, shadowing me the most as I was trying out the various animatronics. What was even funnier was that they seemed to also really like the toys that Spirit had. Did they belong to anyone from here?:D Either way, they are being raised right, that is for sure;)

Spirit is doing tents now?! If they get the correct wind calibrations, perhaps they can do a set-up in the Sahara or Abu Dhabi...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Not a big fan of there babies, but they have good stuff.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Seriously?!? Where is it located? I'm headed down this weekend for a roller derby bout in st.albert and to do back to school shopping for my boys I'd love to swing by!
Fist - do you participate or just watch. Roller Derby is making a big come back near me. :)

Spirit about 1 mile from my house (next to Dollar tree) is open. Was a nice selection. Got some more ideas. Will probably be back a couple of times. The fortune teller was out and I kinda of liked it. Overall a lot of the same. The clowns were pretty creepy!!!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts