Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a sickness. I've always wanted a working turning tunnel in my haunt. I started staring at our outdoor pool and realized the plastic pipe frame would be perfect if I had another one....

I'm driving my husband crazy. Anyone else see with Xray prop vision?:D

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm doing this right now too... especially at the dollar and hardware store...I look at everything and try to think of its potential to be turned into something "I need" for Halloween!!!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
As I stood at the check out counter I was buying a pipe fitting, I think it was made out of plastic? I wondered what kind of a sound I could make if i blew through it?
I blew through it as the checkout girl walked up. The sound it made was very unexpected.. it had "potential".

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Had a case of it this weekend. Our neighbor has what looks like a homemade smoker grill made from an old oil drum that sits on a frame. I was trying to think what that could be made into.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
When I first got my house (29 years ago) there was no fence or barriers to someone just parking next to the property line, and rolling any kind of junk from a truck then watch it roll down into my yard. This eventually became a very poor "Trade", a few micro-switches, then I had to junk out and get rid of an old micro wave.
I was given a working Dental chair, I managed somehow to get it upstairs here, then I buried it under other stuff, forgot about it. It was VERY heavy and had an open topped oil resouvour which would allow that oil it's messy "Freedom". It could really "Lift" almost anything silently, easily. It had tremendous " potential".
I finally junked it out after we carried it back down all of those stairs.
About my first 5 years in the house there was a Thursday night junk auction ten miles away. For $10 I could fill a full-sized pick up truck with everything from genuine antique, fancy doors (1850s?) To a fancy woodburner, and antique furniture which i only paid a few cents for as actual antique dealers just stood and watched. Most of these purchases are still here, in the house, although the chairs kept getting broken as customers would quickly pile three large bodies into one chair!
Sometimes I miss that sale, then I look around me and say, "No"!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The old chairs are on a high shelf looking down on my front room. The wood burner is in the corner of that room, on the floor, I make it open and close from across the room.
A $3.00 piano was bought for me by friends, I make it play a note from that same "Across-the-room" hiding place.
A genuine ancient piece of sheet music is on the piano with a nice drawing of a woman on it's cover., The song is "The Vampire's Waltz".
I have numerous other "Effects" I make happen in this first room.. because as the old saying goes:"You never get a second chance to make a good first impression."

·
Registered
668 Posts
I think I have a sickness. I've always wanted a working turning tunnel in my haunt. I started staring at our outdoor pool and realized the plastic pipe frame would be perfect if I had another one....

Every year I am waiting for our trampoline to finally rip for the same purpose. I've checked out my local Craigslist, and there's tons of free trampolines around, I just have no way to run around and pick them up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm so glad I'm not the only one. We live in the country and each home enjoys over an acre of land. If I could fill it up like some kind of twisted amusement park, I'd be a happy woman. The weird thing is, I HATE horror movies, I just like creating!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I too smiled at this post. I thought yep that's me. Caps to 3 liter bottles? Well these would make great dials. Don't throw out that tube! That's an interesting clamp. I might be able to use that on something. My kids have learned to ask me before throwing out packaging contents "Can you use this for anything?" LOL. Everything has some potential, doesn't it? If I just didn't have a space issue!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I agree, I look at everything and think props.... was looking at pool noodle for use as outer leg material for my giant spiders.
Been working on props since November and still working on them.

·
Registered
352 Posts

ive been looking at free trampoline craigslist for the same reason can use the legs to connect them together and is I thing quit big enough

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I have a large house-full of items small and large that have become or will become props to entertain my customers.....during a house tour, someone will say something that inspires me and the funny stuff begins with the final motive being the entertainment of my patrons.
(And I have fun then too! )

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one suffering from this affliction! :D Had to put plans on hold for this year but that doesn't mean that I have to stop collecting prop ingredients!

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Grocery shopping at Aldi the other day, I noticed that they have turntables for sale. I've been looking for one so I can make a cardboard phonograph cabinet, and put a small plant table inside, for the turntable to rest on...and have it play some really scratchy classical or big band style music.

Thrifting at Goodwill today, I spied a rather small, plain electric organ pretty cheap. I envisioned making it much more ornate with cardboard, PVC, paint, the works.

As you know, I already bought a wannabe-Grandfather clock to do the same with (it is a 5 ft tall plain, cheap, pressboard, battery-op clock)

I really need to start collecting small things, I think. These big things take up too much room! (and are quite noticeable to the other half, who isn't a Halloween fanatic, haha)

I did pick up a pair of sleek little shelf sitters today at Goodwill--half off, that will either look very good in my display, or perhaps find their way into an exchange box at some point. I'm worried about breakage, though.

Any time I thrift shop (which is frequently), I always scout for things that I can repurpose. It just seems like this time of year, I'm a little more tuned in to what I can do with them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Me as well. That's the addicting issue... Everything can be used, it's just maybe the right idea hasn't hit you yet. Although after reading this thread I am making a trip to Aldi or begging my brother to rather as he is minutes away vs hours for me. ... And Please excuse me but I have some Coke bottle caps to dig out of the trash...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts