Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer I acquired a big speaker cabinet from a 1960s Wurlitzer church organ. I removed the speakers and sold them leaving behind a motor that drove these big "flaps" that rotated in front of the speakers, which gave the sound a tremolo effect.

So, I put a red light inside and a fog machine. At night, with the red light, fog, and rotating flaps, it looks like something . . . well, different. I called it the "spirit cabinet."

Please watch the video of it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv0_eQxe7FU

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't a Leslie cabinet. Leslie speaker/amplifier cabinets are used in Hammond B3s.

The Wurlitzer speakers definitely had value. This cabinet did not have value. It was going to be junked. So after removing the speakers, I repurposed it for a Halloween decoration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Leslie made speakers for all the organ company's at one time or another. The B-3 is the one that most people are aware of. The term "Leslie" is also generic for the dopler effect created by changing the directionality and phasing of a stationary or a spinning speaker.

There is still a dedicated community for the Wurlitzer. They pay well for the right speaker model. That is all I was saying. Your project looks wonderful

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before I began this project, I researched the cabinet and speakers inside. It had no value as a standalone cabinet. However, the speakers themselves were definitely sought after. If there was any chance that the cabinet was collectible, I would have tried to sell it. But it was gigantic and heavy. Even empty, the cabinet is heavy. It takes two to lug it around.

Thank you for the compliment. I love Halloween and always try to come up with "new," unique yard decorations every year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts