Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before I start I want to give credit to my friend Mike Perry for the inspiration for this prop. Mike is very afraid of spiders and had this whole mythical story about every 50 generations or so, a slayer is born and seeks out people to attack. Trust me after a few beers it is hilarious! Anyway, I was on ebay and found this guy selling these webs.

I thought hmmm good idea I can do that. I also got to thinking how i can incorporate it into a prop and the SLAYER idea was born.
I'm going to show pix as i progress and I'll do a video at the end. The web is done using cotton rope as that is what He said He used. Worked out great but what I did discover is that gluing the knots as you make it is the difference between a one use web and a reusable prop. I glued each knot with Gorilla glue, and now its tough as can be.

I will be using this product as soon as it shows up to make it glow under black light

I plan on mixing 8oz of the paint with 8 oz water and putting the web in a large Tupperware container (think shake and bake) without the bake, to coat it. then let it dry. Anyway here's the web I made. notice mine is 3D for the prop. The whole left side of my porch will be screened off with black plastic to hide the prop until you come up on the porch. I will show it finished in my display as well, once I finish putting it all up that is. The ring in the center is a stainless steel hoop i had fro my crab pots but any metal hoop should work.
I will be posting pictures of the prop mechanics soon but wanted to get this up.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ooooh, that's good. You can't see it until you walk up. I like that. The shape of the web is like a funnel spider web. I hope you've got a good spider to put inside the web. Make sure you get some film of the victims.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,316 Posts
I already like the web - the 3D effect instead of it being just a flat web is pretty sweet!
:D

I'm interested to see how the cording will take the "shake n bake" application of the glow stuff. Probably better conservation of the medium, since it will be in a container, so it won't be going to waste like if you sprayed it on. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the response.! So far the "SLAYER" has been the only problem. I might have to make it, but still looking. Ok I need to let the cat out of the bag a little maybe you guys can help me. This prop is a motion / spitter . I need a hard material spider in order to install LED eyes, Spitter hose and mount to the motion contraption. it will come from the center of the web out about 30" and spit so it need to have a body around 10" an overall be about 28-32". Oh yeah and look realistic! any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok more pics. This time the mechanism to move the spider in the web. A couple of things: First, I could have made it smaller and out of aluminum but hell I have lots of space on the porch that is now not used so whatever. Besides wood is cheep! Second, Im going to cut he bottom plate in the middle and screw it together for easier storage. Third Im going to replace the pvc shaft with abs because its already black (notice its hollow so i can run my spitter lines to the spider) The whole contraption will be behind a curtain (black plastic) so you don't see it:D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok finally got the clear neon and man was it worth the wait! Coated the web yesterday and put it up to test and take pictured last night. From the reaction I got last night from passing cars, ( they stopped on the road 50 yds away from my house, backed up to get a better look drove forward and stooped again), I think I have a winner here! I will have the prop finished by next week and have a video for you guys. Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thats impressive. I can't wait to see it with that creepy looking spider in it!

·
Registered
496 Posts
That is AWESOME!!! Should be scarier in the dark...Love the spider you found.

Dennis

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Yep looks like you have a winner alright, that is looking very cool so far, and that is a very good spider. I also am making a spider right now, only mine is dropping from a tree above the crowd.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep looks like you have a winner alright, that is looking very cool so far, and that is a very good spider. I also am making a spider right now, only mine is dropping from a tree above the crowd.
for god sakes pics man!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
you must post video of this working otherwise this must be a photoshop prop and it really doesn't exist.

This would be awesome for my spider room. I was gonna have a spider drop from the ceiling but this is WAY BETTER.

=PB

1 - 20 of 61 Posts