Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you are aware, 3 weeks ago, I was asked to do a spook alley for a school.

This was extremely short notice for me, for as you can see via the link in my sig, my stuff is designed for OUTDOORS. And, as details came in that all I had to work with was 1 classroom, I decided to just do a room, instead of an entire haunt.

And, if I was doing a room indoors, I was going to go back to my roots. The concept and design of this room was designed by me when I was 8 years old. (25 years ago for those playing at home) And, as a project by an 8 year old attempting to do this kind of thing for the first time with parents that really don't like Halloween is prone to do...it ROYALLY SUCKED.

But, it's always been in the back of my brain to do it right. So, over the last 3 weeks, I built everything you see here. All the frames, all the lights, the cage, the costumes, all from the ground up.

This wasn't the best group, as it's full of non-screamers. And, you'll hear my daughter who really wanted to come play with daddy. There are at least 3 more videos of this I have been promised copies of, and we'll get them up if/when I get them (I have very bad luck with people actually getting me copies).

I'll get some stills up as soon as I get them uploaded too, as you cant see some stuff very well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks like fun, my sons school is having a Harvest Festival and they want the kids to plant spring bulbs in the back of the school. All I can think is wtf? When I was a kid we had Halloween parties at school and costume contests while we paraded around the school. I don't know how Halloween has become villified as much as it has.

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could tell which kids had been through a haunt before, because they were expecting Fred to jump up off that table. Which is a REALLY good idea to add for next year. Little pneumatics under the table to sit him up and scare em just before I come out...

With all the other rooms doing little games with prizes and candies, it was nice to more than double everyone else's traffic. And, my Mother-in-law gets to keep all the money raised by her room for her class. At $0.25 per child to go through, we made $125. Which was more than anyone except for the PTA, who was doing meals for $4 ea. I'm told that covers the bus fee for a field trip. And, we're fairly sure the 5th grader ticket-takers at the door weren't doing the best job of making sure everyone gave a ticket...

Scheduled to end at 7:00PM, we started turning folks away at 7:30.

But, those folks were back for a 10th time through.

Favorite comments:

"You are my hero." This kid came through a dozen times or more. I showed him how it all worked, and pointed him at the Monster list.

"You are an awful man." Mother who was more frightened than her daughter.

Stopped by a local mom and pop grill afterward, still in full costume, to grab dinner. Just a few stares...

This morning, I breath a massive sigh of relief that this is over. And that the majority is in place for next year. Now it's time to start the REAL stuff.

Oh, and if the carnival is anything to judge by...

There are going to be A LOT of Jokers running around this year. Hoo boy.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,070 Posts
Oh that was a great job! If I was a kid there, I'd be thrilled! :D

I hope you had fun doing this (and congrats on the money raised! WOW!) but I'm sure you're glad that this is one thing completed for you!
:)

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had fun with it after the second group.

I was so sick with worry prior to the first group, I didn't get to enjoy anything up to that. But, once it all worked the first time, I was able to relax and have fun.

And little pre-teen girls screaming is a sure-fire boost to the spirit.

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Uh oh.....

My mother-in-law has THE BUG...(yes, she's a teacher, and was the mad scientist)

After hearing all the kids screaming that night, and having everyone tell her how wonderful 'The Lab' was, and the principle recognizing her for breaking all records on collection...

I got a call at 8:30, telling me we have to change it and make it better for next year.

Now, hopefully I can convince her that what it really needs is the DETAILS, not a total overhaul. But...she's got THE BUG.

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait, you already had your Halloween carnival? Why so early?

Looks like you put on a good show. Congrats!
That's the thing, this was NOT the school party.

This was a FUNDRAISER carnival that happens to fall in October. They have the Halloween party next Thursday (no school on Halloween this year here).

This has been an annual occurance at this school, and all the teachers do their own room. Normally it's some silly game: Mini golf, fishing pond, ducky races, cake walks, bean bag toss, etc. With dime store candy/prizes.

My mother-in-law, prior to this year, had ALWAYS done the cake walk. Well, one of the new teachers volunteered for it before she could this year, so, out of ideas, she asked me to "do a little spook alley".

She specifically requested it to be "something this school has seen before". In her mind, we were going to prop up some of my stuff, and have the kids reach into bags to feel eyeballs, brains, etc.

When I pulled the drawings for this out of my journal from when I was 8 and explained it to her, she was very nervous, as was the principle. They saw kindergardeners fleeing in terror and tripping on things on the way out.

I got the go-ahead on the condition that it was well lit before I jumped out, which changed the skit a bit to make that happen.

·
It's a trick. Get an axe.
2,323 Posts
halloweenus maniacus.

So THAT'S what it's called!! May I never be 'well' again. :D

Sure have enjoyed your thread here UnOrthodOx, you've done some excellent work for the cause..:cool:...hopefully things have calmed down enough for you to start enjoying yourself as well. Have a fantastic Halloween!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts