Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share my most back breakingest prop of the year, The Scarousel. I know that's a cheesy name, how about scary-go-round? nope? not better? If you can come up with a better name, I'll use it!

Some of you know I am changing themes this year. Last year was Haunted Tiki Island and this year is a carnival theme, named Drakkos and Killemov's Carnival of Risk.

For the last two years we have had a central prop attention getter that is tall or large and you have to walk around it to get through the yard:

For this year's carnival theme we are building a carousel!!! Of doom!!!

First you need a lot of plywood:

Then you need to be able to cut circles:

Then you need to rest:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then build your carousel creatures:

Le Horse um, er, thing?

The Griffin, Gryphon?

The Dragon.

The Mermaid

This took 8 weeks so far. Man. I'm not gonna finish am I?

I'll update this thread as I progress. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We are almost done with the creatures build up. We might start to mache them this weekend, Heres's a look so far:

Kendra's griffin is ready for mache (feathers come after)

Patty's doom-i-corn is nearly ready.

My dragon is almost done, just gonna make him some t-rex tiny arms.

And I rebuilt the mermaid who was too small. It also got some t-rex arms and now it has a big fan tail.

On Sunday I hope to get the carousel put together and install the poles so I can see how these guys look in relation to the whole thing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's a little progress update:

This weekend Zack finished his Fiji mermaid!

Patty mached her doom-i-corn and finished the head for it.

Kendra mached her gryphon and was finishing the wings.

I have Friday off so I'll be macheing all my creatures that day. Next weekend should see some of these guys painted and the carousel painted or at least blinged out! Stay tuned!

·
Mourning Rose Manor
2,318 Posts
DC - can't WAIT to see your haunt this year!! I've been reading up on your blog and you guys have MAJOR talent!! I'll have to try and arrange a preview ;-).. Also, listened to your Hauntcast interview and it was great - thanks for starting me on it...now I'm listening 24/7 to Hauntcast. Your mermaid carousel "horse" is really unbelievable. Dying to see the finished product!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a much needed labor day break we got back to building!

patty Finished her carousel creature:

Patty, Kendra, and Tricia then started the decoration of the carousel:

There will be mirrors on each panel.

This shot shows the color and the pattern used on the center column.

Patty has finished sewing the top of the carousel:

I also finished the assembly for the top and a support to hold the tent top up and in place. Just needs some grommets, some hook screws, and a bit of tweaking and that should be done this coming weekend. I would like to have it completely assembled by sunday. I'll have to cross my fingers!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DC - can't WAIT to see your haunt this year!! I've been reading up on your blog and you guys have MAJOR talent!! I'll have to try and arrange a preview ;-).. Also, listened to your Hauntcast interview and it was great - thanks for starting me on it...now I'm listening 24/7 to Hauntcast. Your mermaid carousel "horse" is really unbelievable. Dying to see the finished product!
Well be open for haunting on October 30th. Come on by, Have a hotdog ad a beer!:eek:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have to say that you are a sick bunch of people. And I want to be your friend. lol you are making some really cool things and I want to learn how.

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
OMG this is so great!!! Not that I should be surprised because I was amazed by your Tiki Island in the past. I'm blown away. And Devils Chariot you always make it look so easy in the pics even if we know you occasionally need to take a break there, LOL! Loved the photo.

I really want this Scarousel or whatever name you call it but will settle for moving next to you...:D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG this is so great!!! Not that I should be surprised because I was amazed by your Tiki Island in the past. I'm blown away. And Devils Chariot you always make it look so easy in the pics even if we know you occasionally need to take a break there, LOL! Loved the photo.

I really want this Scarousel or whatever name you call it but will settle for moving next to you...:D
Well it took 13 weekends so far to build, if that makes you feel any better!:D

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
...And I if I lived next to you I could easily put up with the hammering and sawing. No complaints of noise to the police... (hope you have understanding neighbors who love halloween too). How many people would you guess come through your haunt each year?

You have some of the best and talented friends around. You guys just rock. I can't wait to see the pics of your yard completed and lit up at night.

I hope someone is doing a photo journal of your work again. I learned so much going through the tiki island one.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Wow! That's a tremendous project you've got there. Looks like it's all worth it, though.
All of the creatures look amazing! That thing's gonna be a BIG hit!
I think "Scarousel" is a great name for it.

·
Registered
14,207 Posts
BTW what is the carnival game (not sure what to call it yet) that I see in one of the pics with the 3 skull heads on posts? Looks kind of like a shooting gallery??? or ring toss maybe??? Any pics to show of that yet besides that one?

Your projects (and those of a lot of other people on here) always inspire me to want to learn paper maché.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW what is the carnival game (not sure what to call it yet) that I see in one of the pics with the 3 skull heads on posts? Looks kind of like a shooting gallery??? or ring toss maybe??? Any pics to show of that yet besides that one?

Your projects (and those of a lot of other people on here) always inspire me to want to learn paper maché.
That's called Drown the clown, one of those games where you shoot water into the clowns mouth to pop a balloon on the head or drive one of the arrows up to the buzzers at the top.

Next weekend I should have it more finished and get some new pics of it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Epic. The whole build process if f'n amazing! Totally unique idea too! The booths look so awesome as well! I'm going to be watching your blog closely to see the final result!! *LOVE* the Grinder Kreep animatronic.. Haha.. I can't wait to see everything done! AMAZING!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts