Halloween Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to start a fun discussion about the house rules for Halloween decorations.

As laid out for me by my wife: The decorations must be stored in the storeroom in the basement. It is a fairly large room and I am ok with that since I could easily see it getting out of control otherwise. The garage must remain functional, so I can not block the door or driveway. It can not look like Halloween threw up on the yard. While she claims not to be into Halloween I notice that every year she is the first one with pictures and video from the haunt.

Reactions: Spirits Vineyard

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just wanted to start a fun discussion about the house rules for Halloween decorations.

As laid out for me by my wife: The decorations must be stored in the storeroom in the basement. It is a fairly large room and I am ok with that since I could easily see it getting out of control otherwise. The garage must remain functional, so I can not block the door or driveway. It can not look like Halloween threw up on the yard. While she claims not to be into Halloween I notice that every year she is the first one with pictures and video from the haunt.
Love this! Haha. I don't have any rules. My husband owns 27 pinball machines, and I'm not sure how many arcades, so I pretty much get to do what I want.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
At least you have a basement to store things in. You could be like me, no basement or garage. Trying to store it all in closets is frustrating, thus when it comes down to closet space for the Halloween items or Christmas stuff, Christmas usually gets the short stick. Got to have priorities! But the yard not looking like Halloween threw up all over it.... Isn't that kind of the purpose?

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I don't have any real rules. I do have a new challenge this year though. Up until last fall, we had two giant trees shading our front yard. They became diseased and dangerous so we had them taken out. Our grass never grew well due to all the shade so I never worried about it when I put props on it for a month straight. Well, sunlight and oxygen do amazing things to thin scraggly lawns because now we have a super thick, lush, green lawn that my husband has begged me not to destroy with Halloween props! Ohhhh-kaaaay. :( I'll manage somehow. Stupid Texas with its green grass through December!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My husband collects board games. I like playing them sometimes, but good grief, they are practically in every room except the kitchen and bathrooms. He has hundreds of them. He also likes the Halloween so I pretty much do what I want. The only rules are ones I set for myself. This house is cluttered all to hell already I try not to get things that aren't amazing or useful. The garage still has work space that we can use but the other half of it is Halloween.

EDIT: Husband said he does have one rule about Halloween stuff, "don't insert it in me."

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife is quite the interior designer. So while she does not mind Halloween decorations she would not approve of just a bunch of random Halloween stuff that looked liked I dumped it on the lawn.

Reactions: Madame Leota

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have to be able to answer "where, exactly, do you plan on storing *that*?" (with a straight face) about whatever I make or buy, can't be stored in his shop, under his side of the bed, or stacked on the landing outside the attic door. And yes, he has good reasons. :eek:

But seriously, rules are meant to be bent, right? He NEVER looks under his side of the bed. *granny cackle*

Reactions: Pumpkin215

·
Registered
930 Posts
Yeah this is a topic that comes up throughout the year. Im not allowed to store any more props in the garage or basement. He keeps trying to convince me I need to sell all of my props from last year because they are "so neat". He wants the garage back to himself as he needs workspace for his go karts :-(

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I don't have any real rules. I do have a new challenge this year though. Up until last fall, we had two giant trees shading our front yard. They became diseased and dangerous so we had them taken out. Our grass never grew well due to all the shade so I never worried about it when I put props on it for a month straight. Well, sunlight and oxygen do amazing things to thin scraggly lawns because now we have a super thick, lush, green lawn that my husband has begged me not to destroy with Halloween props! Ohhhh-kaaaay. :( I'll manage somehow. Stupid Texas with its green grass through December!
Ok I'm on Team Husband here! I too am trying to figure out how or where to place my tombstones in my yard without killing my grass underneath. Some of the bases are pretty wide, and decorations will be up for at least a month and a half, so that means the grass underneath is going to be starved of sunlight and pretty much everything else.....I just don't know if I can purposely kill it! :confused:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ugh. The downside of marriage: compromise. :p

The big rule that I HATE is "No decorating until October". It kills me every year. But I've wrangled the end of September out of him depending on where Oct. 1st falls on the calendar.

This year, I have 3 girlfriends coming over to help me. I can usually wrestle up one or two so that it can all get done in a weekend.

Other than that, I have ShadyAcre's problem of having to come up with a place to store items!! A big box arrived just the other week and Hubby said "Let me guess- Halloween". I said "Yes, but I'm sure most of this is packing material!". He just laughs at me and shakes his head.

I guess the only other "rule" if you can call it that is he won't dress up. But I don't care if he does or not. I'm the one with the crazy costume and theater contacts. MY rule is that if you aren't dressing up- then you can't be in the yard on Halloween night. The kids see him and it ruins my scare. Somehow one adult in costume is canceled out by one that is NOT in costume and they suddenly feel "safe"- which is the last thing I want them to feel. :D

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,081 Posts
Ok I'm on Team Husband here! I too am trying to figure out how or where to place my tombstones in my yard without killing my grass underneath. Some of the bases are pretty wide, and decorations will be up for at least a month and a half, so that means the grass underneath is going to be starved of sunlight and pretty much everything else.....I just don't know if I can purposely kill it! :confused:
I still have spots in my lawn from last year where the coffin / headstones / blowmolds were! :D For some reason they just decided to grow in different stuff (probably weeds). Maybe I'll just have to toss some seed down in the spring.

It's not really a rule, but my daughter asked that I wait until after her birthday (Sept 28) to start setting up. That's reasonable and actually keeps me in check.
I figure the hubby can give me rules about my Halloween stuff when he gets rid of things like....his college textbooks from 20+ years ago! At least mine is useful. :p

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I still have spots in my lawn from last year where the coffin / headstones / blowmolds were! :D For some reason they just decided to grow in different stuff (probably weeds). Maybe I'll just have to toss some seed down in the spring.

It's not really a rule, but my daughter asked that I wait until after her birthday (Sept 28) to start setting up. That's reasonable and actually keeps me in check.
I figure the hubby can give me rules about my Halloween stuff when he gets rid of things like....his college textbooks from 20+ years ago! At least mine is useful. :p
Sept 28? I don't know if I can wait that long! I'm actually starting to decorate the inside now. Well, in truth, it's just all of my new purchases that I didn't bother to put away :D I still need to drag out the old stuff! I'll probably wait a bit longer to start on the outside.

Oh, btw, the best time to seed is the fall! Unless you don't get hot summers, the fall is the best time to ensure any new growth stands a fair chance. I still need to think about where my tombstones are going. I hate to shove them all in my garden beds, but I have a feeling that's where they're going to go!

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,081 Posts
Sept 28? I don't know if I can wait that long! I'm actually starting to decorate the inside now. Well, in truth, it's just all of my new purchases that I didn't bother to put away :D I still need to drag out the old stuff! I'll probably wait a bit longer to start on the outside.

Oh, btw, the best time to seed is the fall! Unless you don't get hot summers, the fall is the best time to ensure any new growth stands a fair chance. I still need to think about where my tombstones are going. I hate to shove them all in my garden beds, but I have a feeling that's where they're going to go!
Oh, the Sept 29 is just for the cemetery & outdoor stuff. Inside goodies are already happening :D

Thanks for the reminder! I should have known about seeding in the fall! A couple years ago, the gas company dug up part of my yard (and requested a headstone to be put in that area - LMAO!!) . They came in after H'ween and covered that area with that roll stuff with seed & hay & some kind of twine and come spring, you couldn't even tell they'd dug there.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Oh, the Sept 29 is just for the cemetery & outdoor stuff. Inside goodies are already happening :D

Thanks for the reminder! I should have known about seeding in the fall! A couple years ago, the gas company dug up part of my yard (and requested a headstone to be put in that area - LMAO!!) . They came in after H'ween and covered that area with that roll stuff with seed & hay & some kind of twine and come spring, you couldn't even tell they'd dug there.
Ugh, I actually had the same thing recently happen with the cable company! They dug up everyone's yards in my neighborhood to install fiber optics (or whatever) and when they were done, they sent a landscaper out to throw some seed and straw down. Unfortunately it was late spring/early summer, so it was all a wasted effort on their part. I think they knew it too, but just wanted to appease the HOA. Luckily I plan to aerate and overseed this fall anyway, but still.

Too bad it's at the very front edge of my lawn....not really the best place for tombstones to go....otherwise it would be the perfect spot since the grass was already dead (or rather, missing)!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.