Halloween Forum banner

1101 - 1120 of 1145 Posts

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Toby 3517.jpg

We welcomed a new member to our family. This is Toby. He's a Seal Lynx Mitted Ragdoll. He's 4 1/2 years old.
His previous owners surrendered him to a shelter and I was lucky enough to find his page, I think on the day it went up!

Now if we can get our 12 year old Seal Mitted Ragdoll to accept him.
Smokey.jpg

Still miss my Bengal Gino. :'(

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
Mystery the cat.

Spring of last year, this cat showed up in our back yard. She was the most aggressive thing I've ever seen. She'd swipe at the screen door when our (indoor0 cats were there. Growl and hiss and stand ground whenever I would walk up, rather than run off, and it was really bugging our cats in the dead of the night and keeping us awake.

So, I started spraying it with water when I saw her, and spreading sprays that were supposed to keep cats away.

A few weeks went by of this standoff with this cat, when July hit, I found the dead kittens behind my shed, and one surviving one.

That little ball of spit took me a few days to capture. It went into the shed, and I abruptly locked us both in until it was into the carrier. Mystery was none to happy and attacked me leaving the shed as well. More hose and water for her. I talked to the animal control officer when dropping off the kitten at the shelter, and she agreed that mystery was acting oddly. I told her I wouldn't mind her around as a mouser, but can't tolerate the attitude. She said they'd take her in, fix her, and crop her ear, then return to the area. This was supposed to curb the attitude and provide a mouser.

Mystery disappeared when construction began on the house. When the outside was finished, she was back hanging around, but would not come anywhere even approaching close to me. Understandable given our history, but clearly different attitude.

Then come winter. She was fond of curling up under and sometimes IN my cars engine block. Normally she'd run off under the neighbor's deck when I made noise.

One particular morning, she wouldn't run off, and just cried.

So, I got a bowl of food to get her out of the car and out climbed a half starved raggety thing, too hungry to run off, but having none of me trying to touch her.

Slowly I got her to the back door in the mornings so I didn't need to worry about her being up in and under the car. It would be months before she'd let me get a picture.

As the house got completed at the end of december and we started unpacking, I took one of the storage totes, some carpet scraps, and some great stuff, and made a shelter when the temps were heading into sub-zero territory. She camped in the thing whenever it got really cold. Meanwhile, Talia took up feeding her twice a day.

She disappeared for a week in January, and returned with a cropped ear, I figured the animal control had taken her in.

By spring, she had adopted Talia as the best thing ever. Follow her to school, sit and wait and play at recess, follow her home. Would even jump on the tramp with her.

Turns out the cropped ear didn't mean she had been fixed...

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
The boss wants the dark one. I'm arguing we already have 2 indoor cats and don't need a third. Not to mention she wants a lap cat like Cosette was (neither of our present ones like that idea) and there's no guarantee you'd get one. I wouldn't mind another working cat, but there's no guarantee it wouldn't get so spoiled by The boss/Talia it would ever be a decent mouser. That said, Mystery has a decent graveyard of birds/rats out near my shed, so it would have a good teacher.

(growing up on the farm, we had pets inside, and working animals outside.)

·
Registered
335 Posts
The boss wants the dark one. I'm arguing we already have 2 indoor cats and don't need a third. Not to mention she wants a lap cat like Cosette was (neither of our present ones like that idea) and there's no guarantee you'd get one. I wouldn't mind another working cat, but there's no guarantee it wouldn't get so spoiled by The boss/Talia it would ever be a decent mouser. That said, Mystery has a decent graveyard of birds/rats out near my shed, so it would have a good teacher.

(growing up on the farm, we had pets inside, and working animals outside.)
Looks like Best Friends has a spay/neuter clinic in South Ogden. Only $10 cat s/n! Could be a good resource. https://app.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?owner=11161638
http://utah.bestfriends.org/our-programs/communitycats

Having lived in an area with lots of free roaming cats, my motto is "if you feed them, you fix them". And I've fixed dozens :D Looks like Mystery really lucked out - great story! Enjoy those little cuties!

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
Looks like Best Friends has a spay/neuter clinic in South Ogden. Only $10 cat s/n! Could be a good resource. https://app.acuityscheduling.com/schedule.php?owner=11161638
http://utah.bestfriends.org/our-programs/communitycats

Having lived in an area with lots of free roaming cats, my motto is "if you feed them, you fix them". And I've fixed dozens :D Looks like Mystery really lucked out - great story! Enjoy those little cuties!
Oh, she'll be fixed at my vet as soon as these are weened. Would have earlier if I hadn't thought it done already. They already had me sign up as her caregiver to take her in as part of the community cat program to begin with (it runs through the animal control officer I talked to when taking the previous kitten in to these folks), so, I think they are the ones pocketing the money, cropping the ear, and not doing the spaying. Or someone on staff did.

They did give me drawings for the storage bin shelter I modified to use stuff I had on hand.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
Mousing is in their genes.

I had a couple of indoor/outdoor cats that were very well fed & it never stopped them from killing every rodent, spider, thousand legger & baby bunny in sight while they graced us with their presence. Sadly, they're now gone & the Furry Ruiner Bros. have never been outside long enough to kill anything.

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Mousing has been beneath every cat I've ever had. LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
Mousing has been beneath every cat I've ever had. LOL
I've seen both. Our Indy was born and raised with humans and thinks he IS one. As in, if one of the kids isn't home for dinner, he'll sit in the chair and want a plate. I have him leash trained, even, so he's been outside in a limited fashion with supervision, but doesn't want to be out unless people are there with him.

He once played with a mouse and let it go after losing interest.

Lily, on the other hand was born to a barn cat and brought indoors. She's a KILLER if you can ever get her out of hiding. If you see her staring out the door, and open it, she has whatever in her teeth before you can react. We learned not to open the door when she's hunting through it.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
Well, they may not actually catch mice, but that whole "red dot" instinct is a remnant of when they really did catch their own food.

I have one that would be a great hunter with stereotypical cat-like reflexes but he's too afraid of outside (outside=vet to him) to do it, but the other has Wolverine-like claws that would be better at catching & keeping a critter but his reflexes aren't as cat-like.

Yesterday a squirrel was climbing on the brick right outside the window where Ziggy was sleeping & he just looked over at him like "hey....s'up." The last 2 cats would've been on that squirrel in a heartbeat & eaten everything but the floofy tail.

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
Kyle needed a good portrait shot for graduation, so I was making a little studio in the great room and decided to do lighting tests with the kittens as long as I had the camera out.

Talia's named them.

She's got Snowball. "Because I can scoop him up and he sits like a snowball"

Alec has Mr Grabby Paws. "Because he's always grabbing on to everything"

And Kyle has Feisty "Because he used to always hiss at me" He's definitely the most daring, first one out of their box.

1101 - 1120 of 1145 Posts
About this Discussion
1.1K Replies
299 Participants
Tasty Brains
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing