Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm back.

After taking 2 years off after "life" got in the way, I'm "feeling it again" finding myself in MARCH, thinking about and planning Halloween stuff. I have decided to bring the Omenwood Hotel back after 5 years since we did that theme. Here is the thread from the 2009 party:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-recipes/82982-omenwood-hotel-night-spa-funeral-parlor.html

And here is a YT video from the opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs2ilME5EV4

Although we have had 2 parties since, that was still the best party ever (the "Zombie Attack" in 2010 was a REAL close 2nd). I had carefully stored all of the hotel stuff away knowing that I would probably re-use it someday. I am going to do almost everything the same, with a few new tricks. I will likely even use the same opening soundtrack as I still get a huge grin when I watch it (skip to about 1:25 in the video) and I just think "Nailed that one".

I am have some ideas to enhance the "ballroom" effect for our big room this year, but I will not drive myself crazy with unrealistic ideas. I'm thinking more subtle, dim lighting after the blackout, and lots more use of tattered gauze....

Proof that I am back in it again? Last fall I buried maybe 12 yards of gauze in the woods to let it "rot a bit" and be all nasty in Oct. I may bury some more this spring if the damn ground ever thaws..

So this will be the 2014 party/theme thread, I'll post pics and ideas along the way, and, as usual, hope to get some great ideas from you other Halloween freaks.....

Hope everyone else's plans are going well......!!

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Have briefly looked thru your previous thread (thanks for posting link) and sounds like a great idea to resurrect the hotel theme for this year. A number of us did a haunted hotel theme last year so definitely check out some of those threads. I know there's at least one person doing it this year besides you.

BTW did you run a fogger inside your house last time? Saw you mention you were thinking of running a low-lying fogger to run fog down the stairs. I understand that they can set off smoke detectors and so curious what your experience was.

Look forward to following your thread this year.

kind of an aside here, we are going to see sometime this weekend The Grand Budapest Hotel movie that just opened. Enjoyed the preview and the setting and it looks like a comedy. Involves a wealthy hotel guest found dead in one of the rooms and a missing valuable painting. Might be a source for some ideas for a party.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did *try* to run my fogger through an "ice pipe" as you may have seen in the pics, but it really didn't work. I do remember seeing a bit of haze in the house, but the fogger was a POS and just quit working. No problems with smoke detectors. I may get a another fog/haze machine this year but just to add some environmental effect when people arrive.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of good ideas coming up, and a really nice Craigslist score this weekend past. I found an ad in Craigslist for a 40s vintage radio for $20, and made arrangements with the woman to buy it. When I met her, she said that she was cleaning out her later fathers house and would I be interested in anything else. I told her to send me an e-mail of what else she had. She sent me some pics, among them, and old baby stroller and a typewriter. So I went to her house and she invited me to go in the basement and see if there anything else that I wanted. I could have spent hours down there. I picked up another 40s radio, a couple 78rmp records, and slide projector, some glassware, a suitcase and some photo album pages. There was a photo album down there that had come apart, all B&W photos. I told her I would understand if she didn't want me to have personal pictures, but she said no "everything is getting tossed". So I got all of that for $60.

I am going to make a stencil out of my Omenwood Logo from 2009 and logo a few glass ashtrays, and get some white cover match books and stencil those.

I want to go heavy on a '40s theme. I just ordered a dozen Edison wound filament bulbs that I will use in some fixtures. Typewriter can go at the front desk, stroller on the front porch (need an old babydoll). I am into vintage cars and I have 6 or so vintage tweed suitcases.

Then there is this:

DSC_0072-600x905.jpg

It is at a local consignment shop and they want $99 for it. I could SO put that in the house with one of my full sized buckys in it, dressed in tattered clothes. Still on the fence about spending the money on it.

I'll post pics of the radios and other stuff soon.

{Wow, I am really into this and it is only MAY!}

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
looks like your party was a smash. gos is right, quite a few did hotel haunts. I think I'm going to put that on my list of themes. I've bought 2 phones I think would work just in case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts