Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending on where you live, there are some natural sounds that follow the changing of the seasons. We live in Pa. on a mountain, with several acres and tons of forest all around. I can tell summer is growing long since the cicadas have started droning away during the day and into the evening. They'll only get stronger. Cicadas are out every year, not just the 17 year ones. When they do come out on that 17th year, it's pretty incredible. Also, the grasshoppers are becoming louder as well, droning away from the high grass. There are a lot of species around with very distinct sounds. Some other insects that signal the advent of fall include the leaf hoppers and katydids, which will become louder as we approach the end of summer and move into fall.

I've done a lot of research to identify different species and find it really interesting to learn more about them, identifying them by their calls. Also, I see and hear more owls during the fall and winter. Around here we have mostly screech and barn owls, the former with a very distinct call. Anyone else keep their ears open like I do or live in the country? ;)

·
Registered
963 Posts
I am sort of a sound geek, not so much into studying and knowing the actual species that create the various sounds, but in California, crickets have always played a big part in creating the fall evening atmosphere. In more rural areas, the layering of cricket sounds will be more pronounced, of course, but even driving through a populated area, one may hear a single loud cricket in a vacant lot, chirping away, doing a solo performance, as it were...

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
We live in the woods, my wife and I love all the sounds of nature, especially in the Fall. One my favorites in fall are bluejays, they really get vocal. Lots of owls hooting in the evenings. It really is our favorite time of year. ?

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
I live half surrounded by woods, too. I always listen for the sounds of new seasons. Our cicadas are loud and clear as I type. We have plenty of owls over here, too. I love it when the weather cools and we can have the windows open...I go to bed listening to the sounds of the owls hooting in a nearby tree. Besides the animals and insects, when it gets closer to Fall, I can always tell by the changing sound of the wind blowing through the trees...more rustling since the leaves are drying. I love the sounds of rustling leaves, either on the trees of blowing down the street. It's still a little too early for that, though, at the moment...but soon...

·
Registered
963 Posts
In my neighborhood we have these trees, I dunno what they are, but they have these five-pointed seed pods, about an inch across, kinda reddish orange in color. The pods are falling off the trees now and are all over the place, lots of them. The pods are leathery and tough. When I walk on them, they feel very satisfying to crunch, and they make a nice popping noise! I love this sound, although I have to actually walk on the pods to hear it!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Our cicadas are an all day/into evening sound too, and loud! In fact, I hear them now! ��

I can't wait for our leaves to turn. Although, I'm afraid it wont be a good year. Its been so hot. Even lows are still 10 degrees above normal. And hardly any rain at all. My sunflower has suffered ��

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Ravens Grin is in "Town" 1.700 pop.next to a small stream, woods parking lots.lots of wildlife here.
The tree frogs get so loud as to almost be deafening, then people from Chicago ask:"Is that sound a special effect?"
Coyotes used to howl,not so much the last few years, now Rabbits are everywhere,chip monks also made their reemergence.
In the Fall there is this odd "HUM" in the air here. I had to track it down one year ,it was getting on my nerves (Because it is So Quiet here most of the time.)
A farmer's corn-dryer maybe 4 miles away down the very twisty river canyon somehow funnels that "HUM" clear to my place.
But that sound is very "seasonal".
The 1890 steel bridge 250 feet away began making many noises as our City didn't wish to repair it.
Sometimes it would sound like a Thunder-clap when someone drove over it at a high speed (It's a ONE-Lane bridge!)
Then there is that constant murmur from the City Cemetery on the next hill,but only I can hear them.

(that is a joke)

Reactions: TnHorrorFan

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,582 Posts
Oh, we have plenty of tree frogs in my neighborhood, too. Every summer, they sing and sing each night...it is very, very loud, lol...but I enjoy the sound. It's calming. Quite often, I find the little guys in my yard or stuck to my house. One year, I peeked out the door to grab my mail and tucked inside, was a tree frog. I love them, but it quite startled me to find one hopping out of my mail, hahaha! He just kept trying to live in my mailbox. I finally had to grab him and put him elsewhere. The next day, I found he had moved into my hose reel, lol. I was like, nope, you can't live there, either! I was afraid I'd squash him when getting the hose of putting it away. I walked him to the trees to make a new home after that.

Ah, yes, and the crunch of the leaves and other assorted things falling off the trees in late Summer, early Fall...love that, too! Lol, there is a street that is covered in trees that I drive down each day after work to go home. It has a type of tree that starts to lose it's leaves sooner...more in mid/late Summer. I always love to drive down that street and hear the crunch of the leaves under my tires...it gives me that Autumn feeling a little early. I can pretend it's already Fall!

·
Registered
236 Posts
In my neighborhood we have these trees, I dunno what they are, but they have these five-pointed seed pods, about an inch across, kinda reddish orange in color. The pods are falling off the trees now and are all over the place, lots of them. The pods are leathery and tough. When I walk on them, they feel very satisfying to crunch, and they make a nice popping noise! I love this sound, although I have to actually walk on the pods to hear it!
Would love a picture of those sounds neat. What you described sounded like these pods I use to see in South Carolina. They were dark in color sorta of like a flat banana. They had red seeds in them and would crunch if stepped on.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The crickets are of course a main stay. It's funny, but when we get off the mountain I hear more of them during the summer, and not so much until fall. It might be the elevation. I've heard a few solitary ones so far, but the biggest change now are some of the leaf hoppers, katydids, and grasshoppers singing. Especially the katydids get very loud at night, and they are just beginning.

·
Registered
963 Posts
At one point a few years ago I was visiting a friend's workplace at night, and their back parking lot had three or four bushes with a solitary cricket in each. I went around recording each cricket and then later went back and created edited loops and mixes of them, it was like cricket luxury, special guest crickets, cricket ADR. These got used in a Halloween display...we created a "synthetic nature" audio environment in front of the house we were haunting, with these cricket sounds and also wolf, owl and cat noises...it was suuuuper weird!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts