Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure many of us here are Munster fans, and I sure am. A new song that is very popular right now samples their iconic theme song.

I do not listen to current music, but my wonderful son brought this to my attention. Take a listen and enjoy the wonderful Munster song.

This song has "swear" words and "adult" themes, so if that kind of stuff bothers you do not listen. :cool:

My son said: "Hey Mom, halloween has surf music now." My eyes glared red and my claws came out and I said no, no my dear, that is the Munsters!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Certain tunes will always sound like tv theme songs, no matter what else they try to do to them ,sorry.
I see the time when every movie or TV show made in the last 100 years will be copied so many times with so many different actors and singers that we will have a choice which version of this do you want to see? the 1925? 1952? 1983? 1999? 2012? 2027?... and so it goes .. but who receives the Royalties?

Reactions: Countess No

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Certain tunes will always sound like tv theme songs, no matter what else they try to do to them ,sorry.
I see the time when every movie or TV show made in the last 100 years will be copied so many times with so many different actors and singers that we will have a choice which version of this do you want to see? the 1925? 1952? 1983? 1999? 2012? 2027?... and so it goes .. but who receives the Royalties?
http://www.bmi.com/creators/royalty/general_information

"How Royalties are Divided
BMI considers payments to songwriters or composers and to publishers as a single unit equal to 200%. Where there is the usual division of performance royalties between songwriters or composers and publishers, the total writers’ shares will be 100% (half of the available 200%), and the total publishers’ shares will be the remaining 100%.

Please note the following rules with respect to the division of the 200% royalty:

The total publishers’ shares may not exceed 100%.
If the agreement between the publishers and songwriters or composers provides for the songwriters or composers to receive more than 100%, the work should be registered with BMI indicating the percentages allocable to all songwriters or composers and all publishers so that the total is not more than 200%.
Where no performing rights (or only partial performing rights) have been assigned to a publisher, the songwriters or composers will receive the entire 200% (or the balance of the entire 200%) in the same ratio as their respective writer shares. However, a songwriter or composer who has assigned to a publisher all or part of his or her proportionate rights in the publisher’s share shall not be entitled to receive any portion of the remainder of the publisher’s share allocable to his or her co-writer(s).
If BMI is notified subsequent to the initial registration that rights have been assigned to a publisher, BMI will credit the publisher with the appropriate share for performances beginning with the quarter in which such notice is received. No Retroactive Adjustments Will Be Made.

(Example: John and Mary wrote “Their Song” together. John signed a songwriter agreement with Music Publisher. Mary did not. When the work is registered with BMI, John will list his writer share as 50%, Mary will list her writer share as 100% (50% for her co-writer interest and 50% for her unassigned publisher interest) and Music Publisher will list its publisher share as 50% (for the publisher’s interest it obtained from John). If Mary later assigns her publisher interest to the same Music Publisher, Mary will notify BMI, her writer share will be reduced to 50% and Music Publisher will be paid 100% effective in the quarter that BMI received Mary’s notice.)

Wherever royalty rates are indicated in this document, the amount shown is the 200% royalty. In the typical case where all songwriters or composers have assigned their copyright in a work to publishers, half of the amount listed is paid to the songwriters or composers and half to the publishers.
BMI operates on a non-profit-making basis. All available income is distributed, except for a modest reserve."

This is how BMI pays royalties. I am sure whomever owns the rights to the Munsters theme gets a cut.

Anyway, still like this song. It would be great for a halloween party mix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts