Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, maybe not the most pissed, but the most friggin angry ive been about a prop in a LONG time.

Back story...I'm not a dumb guy. My monthly subscription to "the family handyman" and I think I'm pretty mechanically, electrically and Drywallery inclined. Not to mention that online IQ test I took came up with an IQ of 142 for Mr. Dannyk...and those things are always right, back me up on this guys. That said I just totally screwed myself...

making a pretty standard MIB, nothing fancy, no DMX, not routines, just a wiper motor a lobed cam and a dream (similar to the one at cindybob.com) only this one uses a toepincher that I built over the last two days that looks friggin great.

The wiper motor that I have has a metric mounting nut for the arm so I couldn't find an extension that perfectly matched it, but the 5/16-24 that I picked up was darn close. Tried to re-tap the shaft of the motor, but my good old Harbor Freight tap and die set just couldn't cut it...no pun intended.

So, trusty crescent wrench in hand I attempt to just screw the extension post that I had down on the motor shaft. So far so good...until I think its JUST NOT QUITE TIGHT ENOUGH...thats right ...SNAPP-O!!!!!!! so now I am down one motor and my 3 year old learned a few new choice words...not to mention the mounting bracket and everything else is measured, cut and fits the existing motor...back to square 1...

Luckilly for me I at least earned myself a big hug from the hottest lady on the planet, also know as Mrs. Dannyk.

AH HAH my 142 IQ screams to me from inside my thick skull...Take the shaft out of the other motor that is slated for the crawling zombie that's only half done, make the MIB work and then get a new motor for the crawler...seems simple enough.

The motors come apart pretty easy, both of them with no problems at all...amazingly...but alas the shaft is just barely too big, so I guess I'll just put the good motor back together and see if my buddy can do a little welding for me and fix the broken shaft...

Remember how I said they came apart easy...that part will come back into play pretty soon.

Both motors have what appears to be a steel shaft and plastic gear assembly, I gingerly put them back together, remembering that my dad used to call me BAM-BAM on account of my finesse with delicate objects, and broken shaft motor flies back together, no problems.

GOOD motor does not have this luck...

GENTLY and SLOWLY pressing the shaft back into the plastic gear with the vise (to add even slow pressure) JUST LIKE I DID FOR THE OTHER MOTOR, Mr. plastic friggin gear friggin decides to friggin split into 3 friggin pieces...all I can say is a deafening "AWWW COME ON!!!!" (my neighbors came down the street to see what happened). For those of you who are counting, that's right, my friggin MIB ate TWO friggin motors and its not even friggin done yet!!!!!

So my long drawn out story brings to light three truths:

1. Online IQ tests suck.

2. Misery loves company.

3. I can't be the only one who has had a problem like this. Go ahead, post your screw up's here, and we'll all feel better about ourselves knowing someone else messed something up worse than we did...it's worth a shot.

thanks for letting me vent...only you guys would understand my frustration at this point.

dk

·
Registered
822 Posts
One year I got on a ladder and spent 30 minutes tying my bats and ghosts between two trees so they could fly across only to find out after I was done they were facing the wrong way.

I've got tons of car repair screw up stories but this isn't the place :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not bad, but not quite making me feel any better...come on someone out there has to have messed something monumental up...please, someone, have a more miserable story than mine!!!

dk

·
Registered
822 Posts
like I said, I have car stories that would dwarf yours but not Halloween.

I do have a neighbor when he was putting in his Halloween fence using a drill and a wood bit ruptured a sprinkler station valve ending up costing him about 400 bucks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Luckilly for me I at least earned myself a big hug from the hottest lady on the planet, also know as Mrs. Dannyk.
Pictures? :D

I have 4 paper mache skeletons, full size, hanging in my garage. They took a really really really really long time to make. Anyhow, the twine I had holding one of them gave away, it came crashing down and snapped both legs off right under the upper ball of the lower leg bone. I was standing there when it happened and took a few minutes for me to snap out of it and realize that it really happened.

Luckily a little greatstuff and ductape got me back in shape. Mrs. Bubbels comforted me by laughing at me.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,613 Posts
not halloween related, but I do alot of reading via those clip on booklights, and the only ones I see cheapest are walmart, so they have dirt dirt cheap ones for $3 and the next price is $6-15. I opt for dirt cheap, and I can tell you this, no amount of "carefully" opening the plastic package will allow you to keep the plastic "clippy" part that attaches to the book from breaking. I once succeeded in getting it out of the plastic but its clipped through a flimsy piece of cardstock. I tried to unclip it from the cardboard and the thing went "BOING" and snapped off of it. I think I screamed something similar to the OP> I went through about 4 of them over time before finding the dollar tree pinlights someone posted on here. Thank goodness for that.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pictures? :D

I have 4 paper mache skeletons, full size, hanging in my garage. They took a really really really really long time to make. Anyhow, the twine I had holding one of them gave away, it came crashing down and snapped both legs off right under the upper ball of the lower leg bone. I was standing there when it happened and took a few minutes for me to snap out of it and realize that it really happened.

Luckily a little greatstuff and ductape got me back in shape. Mrs. Bubbels comforted me by laughing at me.
wifey gave me a big hug and brought me a cup of bengal spice tea...I know i'm going to lose man points for saying that, but it really is a great tasting cup of tea...

good to hear that you got your project back together.

dk

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
I spent a couple weeks building a tombstone and then engraved buried as b-u-r-r-i-e-d. Not a monumental or even costly error. I am however, the world's worst speller and since this was an upgrade of an older stone you'd think I would just have copied the correct spelling from the first one.:eek:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nice, still have yet to make my tombstones, going to print out my phrases and now will make sure I hit spell check before I start carving.

thanks for your story!!

dk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Caution Geek Speak below!

Not halloween related but i once was going to configure a new cisco router and wanted to plug it in to the network to program it versus the console cable. Well i learn quickly that when you plug a router in wrong in a network of about 100 users and 13 servers that the network WILL crash.

I have done some stupid stuff but half the time no one figures it out or knows about it.

Oh and on a side note those online IQ tests are crap. After all they said i scored a 150. Yeah right. i am more of a 155.. HA!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I understand your frustration!

I spent two weeks making some "Rising Spirits" (inspired by Davethedead) which involved bending pvc with a heat gun to the proper position .... then tediously corpsing and painting these creatures and carving their heads out of styrofoam and fitting their teeth and claws from whittled tree branches only to have my two pet pygmy goats tear them to shreds as I was weedeating their pen ( which btw should be THEIR job in the first place) Uhhhhhggggg

It`s always something !!!!!

There just may be "Goat Stew" on the menu for the halloween party this year LOL

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
During last years event I got low on fog juice. This was late into the evening while extensively adding to my aluminum recycling bin. So I pour simple tap water into both foggers. Did I mention we have a well and it's heavy water? For some strange reason that fact escaped me that night. ;)

Needless to say I just replaced both foggers. :(

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I understand your frustration!

I spent two weeks making some "Rising Spirits" (inspired by Davethedead) which involved bending pvc with a heat gun to the proper position .... then tediously corpsing and painting these creatures and carving their heads out of styrofoam and fitting their teeth and claws from whittled tree branches only to have my two pet pygmy goats tear them to shreds as I was weedeating their pen ( which btw should be THEIR job in the first place) Uhhhhhggggg

It`s always something !!!!!

There just may be "Goat Stew" on the menu for the halloween party this year LOL
thought about making those myself, they really are awesome looking. I would HATE to see all that work go down the tubes. Oh, and a little goat meat would sound really tasty to me at that point too!!

-dk

·
Registered
355 Posts
DannyK, your post had me LOL'ing!! I haven't had any major investments hit the ******* simply because I don't understand how to make those really cool props. But on the "dumbing it down side" I did spell a tombstone wrong a time or two when I first started making them. Needless to say, I use cutouts or patterns now?!.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DannyK, your post had me LOL'ing!! I haven't had any major investments hit the ******* simply because I don't understand how to make those really cool props. But on the "dumbing it down side" I did spell a tombstone wrong a time or two when I first started making them. Needless to say, I use cutouts or patterns now?!.
thanks for the compliments on my literary prose...i think i use comedy A LOT to compensate when I am pissed. I just want to be able to make some super cool stuffs without jacking everything up.

-dk

·
Registered
574 Posts
One year I got on a ladder and spent 30 minutes tying my bats and ghosts between two trees so they could fly across only to find out after I was done they were facing the wrong way.
Did something similar. I was stringing wire for an FCG and somehow strung it through the ladder, which was propped up against a tree branch I was using as one end of the rig. Only when I was fully done and watched the fcg work, did I decide to remove the ladder...

Craig

·
Registered
400 Posts
Man, these are fun to read! Dannyk, I can't top yours, but when I was building my scissor extender, I cut, drilled, and welded the frame together, only to discover that it was too short for the cylinder I bought. Had to scrap it, and start over.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Our very first Halloween prop (2005) was a motion sensor tombstone, it's open to a skeleton with flashing lights in his eyes and a scream. Last year I decided to upgrade our tombstone mounts had them all done at 2am and was looking over to make sure I was happy with them all and tested the animated one to make sure it still worked (it did). When I noticed that the PVC pipe wasn't straight, so unscrewed the strap straighten it out. I realize that when I'm reattaching the strap it's a little harder to get the screw to go in. Yup I'm mounting the strap screw directly into the circuit board.

We tried the next day to see if we could repair it, but we couldn't. My daughter mentioned yesterday that she was still very upset that I ruined it and the truth so am I. We still use it: I stake it into the ground and open the tombstone to see the skeleton :( and then walk away very very upset.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts