Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we all know, you get what you pay for. At least in most cases, including consumer electronics. However, I can't really justify paying several hundred dollars for a video projector just to put a spook in my window for Halloween. Which is to say, I can't think of a rational argument to justify it to my wife that won't have her rethinking one of her bigger decisions in life.

So, those of you who've had experience with the far less expensive video projectors, which would you say is the best sub $100 projector on the market to accomplish some of the FearFx effects?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Trying to zero in on a specific model is not the best approach in this case. Most of the projectors you can buy for less than $100 new off the shelf are not very good. The better approach is to buy a used projector from eBay. I've got three projectors, all of which I bought for $50-60 from eBay, and all of which are excellent for projections. Taking this approach though means you can't fix on a specific model. Instead you have to understand what criteria make for a good projector, and then search within than range for something that will work. Lumens, contrast ratio, and low bulb life are imo some of the important criteria. Once you've found a projector, then you need to search out some reviews before pulling the trigger. This approach is a little more laborious but it's the best way to end up with a quality projector for not a lot of money. Trying to fix on a specific model that is widely available and consistently priced <$100 is generally going to mean settling for something subpar. It pays to play the auction game for this one

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been watching e-bay for some time, but I just don't seem to get lucky enough to find anything decent in the price range I'm hoping for. While I agree with you entirely that you're very likely going to get more bang for your buck by purchasing a quality used projector, rather than a low quality new projector, I'm still interested in knowing what some of the low end projectors have to offer. Some are quite portable, and boast decent lumens for the price. I'd just like to know if anyone has had experience with some of them in that price range, and how satisfied they are. I realize I'm probably not going to be watching HD movies in 3D on a 120" screen, but that's not really my goal with this. I'd like something with which I might create some singing pumpkins, and some window effects, and not have to worry about replacing a $100+ lamp within the next few months. Not to mention, when I do finally go searching for a quality used projector, and looking for the best price, I'm back to the endless sea of choices with no real way to gauge if I'm buying something that's not going to disappoint. Right now I can't afford to throw away $$ to find out, which is why I'm asking if anyone has some experience they can share. Or, some luck they can throw my way to find a great deal on a nice used unit.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Craigslist is always having a projector selling for $50 or less. I have bought over 4 projectors from craigslist for $50 or less, the cheapest being $10. All work, except for a 3m that had some color issues, but worked great for my pumpkins video. Otherwise, they were either SVGA or XGA resolution, with enough lamp life to do a dozen halloweens.

Also check with your local college. They are always upgrading and many times they will sell you a projector for super cheap.

Victor

·
Registered
394 Posts
I went through a couple of the low end new projectors that got talked up on the forums from time to time (discovery wonderwall,/shift3 lightblast) and was consistently disappointed with their performance. In my opinion these projectors are not even good enough to project singing pumpkins or crawling bugs, much less handle a complex window animation. If there really was a decent quality low-end projector, it would be widely known and talked about on these forums. On the other hand, the used market has tons of these since they get used and discarded by schools and businesses on a regular basis. Do your research, be patient and you'll find one. If you just started searching, part of the problem might be that you are competing with other haunters. Thanks to Atmosfearfx there is more demand in this season and I think that prices are higher. If you really can't find something in your price range, maybe try again next year in May-June when the schools are refreshing their equipment.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Projectorcentral is key to your projector purchase. Once you find a projector at the price you want, ascertain whether the bulb still has a lot of usable life left, and if there are any defects or problems witt the projector prior to purchase. Use Projectorcentral to find out what a pj is capable of, and then check ebay for similar or same projectors to price accordingly. Sometimes the craigslist price is better simply that you're not paying extra for shipping.

Pumpkin projections will work fine with svga resolution but floating scrim-based or window projects you want more detail so XGA or better would be ideal.

Victor

·
Registered
683 Posts
Nope. This is a regular projector. You have to get a media player if you want to play video files off the hard drive. Alternativelyy, if you only have access to a dvd player, you can transform the video files to dvd files using dvdflick. Then burn those dvd files onto a blank dvd

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have one of the projectors that plays with my lap top, and it is not my favorite. I just bought the WindowsFx Holiday Decorating Kit from AtmosFx. It is small, bright, simple, and comes with 8 scenes, not just Halloween. $100 ! Recommend this. Wish I had not bought the other one, not to mention the $40 for the cd Ghostly Apparitions. Atmos is sold out, but Hammacher Schlemmer catalog has it.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
That looks like a nice one. I don't see a slot,for,sd,card or,flash drive how would I go about using this model without dvd player, is there a certain adaptor I could,buy to use a flash drive for,the fearfx.
I have looping HD Media Players specifically for this. No black screen between loops and no on screen icons. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think a reality check is due. Most projectors are built for commercial applications, which means an ultra-bright image that can be seen in a lit conference room, projected from 12-20ft away, and accomplish all this year round.

What you need for a window projection is not the same as what an office needs. Most people are projecting from 8-10 feet away due to room size, and in a dark room. We only use them for a month or less a year. And the brighter the bulb the lighter the screen, and room behind it, are gonna be, which reduces the quality of the effect on the window. So if you're shopping for a projector with the same eye for performance as an office buyer would, you're wasting your money. If you're projecting inside a bedroom, living room, dining room, etc., that's going to be dark, you not only don't need a high-performance projector, you don't want one. If you're projecting on a wall outside you need a better projector but for indoor you don't.

With that in mind, projectors like the Discovery Wonderwall, which cost about $50 new, more than meet the need in most cases.

Reactions: vonroll
1 - 20 of 51 Posts