Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2464171/Its-making-children-Police-tell-man-tone-annual-charity-Halloween-display-honour-grandmother.html

This is the third story I have read this year about people being asked to take down decorations. Personally I would just tell them no, but then again I do want a door mat that says “come back with a warrant”

The only issue I have had is the person next door came over to tell me that god lets her see demons and she know that I am just getting into the spirit of the holiday, but my decorations were attracting real demons and they are disgusting looking

Any of you ever have problems with the Halloween haters?

·
Registered
372 Posts
So far in our current neighborhood it has been friendly except the lady that walks but crosses the street at our house and back again after she passes...LOL.
At my folks house where this all started in the late 70's we got pretty big with about 500 to 600 TOT's. They used to get hate mail every year and people at least a few times would stop by and tell us what horrible people we were. Oh well. Have a nice day :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
'I'm sure if the parent had come and spoken to me we could have come to a compromise,' insisted Mr Creighton.
'I don't know why they felt the need to go to the police about it. It's so ridiculous it's almost funny.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2464171/Halloween-display-frightening-children-making-Stevenage-police-warn-man.html#ixzz2i5VC4Jw0
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Its amazing that people are so up theor own **ses that they cant even be bothered to talk to the haunter. This is not an issue for law enforcement or emergency services!!!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
For all of us Americans sitting there thinking "THey can't do that!" I'd like to point out that the events of the article are occurring in the UK, where they have this thing called an ASBO. That's short for Anti-Social Behavior Order. Literally, the cops can decide you're too non-conformist and a troublemaker, then go to the court to get an ASBO that instructs you to refrain from a particular behavior. Violate that order and you go straight to jail without a trial.

I've read articles about the ASBO being abused by the UK government at all levels, being issued to alcoholics, people who refuse to stop smoking in non smoking areas, and people who have loud sex, for example. I can easily see an ASBO being slapped on this guy preventing him from doing his Halloween display.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first thought was they can’t do that, but then I noticed the UK thing…I have heard of people attacking US displays with HOAs and electrical code violations

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Literally, the cops can decide you're too non-conformist and a troublemaker, then go to the court to get an ASBO that instructs you to refrain from a particular behavior. Violate that order and you go straight to jail without a trial.
At this rate, how long before the good ol' US of A gets to be the same?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
I guess I'll throw out a differing opinion on gory public displays in general. Probably the most I've ever expressed before but I've seen this topic of gory displays come up a few times already on the forum. First off I'm not one who likes gore and violence in displays and movies but I'm OK with hallowen displays that incorporate gore when they aren't easily viewable by younger kids. Setting up displays that are viewable from the street, I'm not comfortable with. Add it to a garage haunt or backyard haunt would be my suggestion. If I had a young kid and had to live next to someone who set this up in their front yard, I probably would be upset my kid had to see it everytime we went out so can understand when parents complain about displays like this one.

I view myself as kind of middle of the road I guess when it comes to issues like personal halloween home displays. I liked scary stories as a kid and can appreciate a good scare in a haunt. I don't feel pumpkins and smiling scarecrows should be the only thing on display. Growing up, adults in my life tried to protect little kids from the uglier aspects of life. Sure there were kidnappings, rape, horrible murders and such going on back then, but kids were shielded from these aspects in the press, movies (rating system) and in general talk. Kids went to bed early and adults had their time to watch more adult content material on TV. I can remember my own parents shooing us kids away from some conversations they were having with their friends. Just not considered kid-friendly topics.

I guess I would summarize my feelings as public displays should be neighborhood and kid friendly. And I realize this is a topic of issues on a continuium, like are dead bodies OK or just ones with their guts hanging out, but I think little kids should always be our first priority in a society.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Ghost of Spookie
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing