Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a big fan of Homemade Static Props - Over the Summer I built a staff with a skull on top in my spare time. After much thought and many late nights looking over the fine witches being built and that have been built - I needed one to hold the mentioned staff .
Staring with a styrofoam wig head I removed the nose , bored out the eye sockets and cut off the jaw and did some misc. shaping with a round shurform blade. Using some spare foam I fashioned a nose and chin which was hot glued in place.
This was then covered with a paper mache . I will be using clay to add detail such as brows, lips and fine tuning the chin and nose.

Progress so far -

:)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,508 Posts
Looking good so far! This will be fun to follow. Love me a good witch!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jdubbya - I have always admired your coven , very inspiring. Thanks for looking in.

Dark Crop - Believe it or not it was the pics I saw of your "Willow Witch" at a sleepless 3:am this morning that persuaded me to pull the trigger and build my own.
I have some clay my wife from "Michaels" got called "Premier light weight stone clay" Air drys , suppose to be minimal shrinkage, sandable ect.

My methods are pretty primitive and resources are scarce - my next step is to try and carve some gnarly teeth out of balsa wood.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dark Crop - Believe it or not it was the pics I saw of your "Willow Witch" at a sleepless 3:am this morning that persuaded me to pull the trigger and build my own.
I have some clay my wife from "Michaels" got called "Premier light weight stone clay" Air drys , suppose to be minimal shrinkage, sandable ect.

My methods are pretty primitive and resources are scarce - my next step is to try and carve some gnarly teeth out of balsa wood.

Nice! Glad it provided some motivation.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today's progress - One big ugly nose and three wooden teeth.

A artist or sculptor I am not, I spent forever trying to make convincing wrinkles for the lips. Psssh I will be able to airbrush something more passable (maybe) Now to figure out some eyeballs. My Daughter has some of that "Bake type clay" that might work :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Casper - thanks for the suggestion , I will keep that in mind for the next time.

The "No Bake Clay worked out good. After determining how big of an eye I needed I sliced it in half and cooked them up.
This is sad though before I can start painting the eyes I need to clear out my Spray Booth and the left hand side of my workbench. Can you tell it has been a real long time since I have used my Hobby Room ?

:eek:

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Looking good so far, Rumsfield.
A quick tip for making a wrinkled skin effect, if you're using DAS or an air-dry clay...press some material or paper towel over the moist clay. A little practice and experimentation, and you'll soon get the effect you want. Paint with your chosen base colour and then lightly dry-brush a slightly lighter shade to bring the wrinkles out.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Baron - Thanks for that Great tip. I will defiantly give that a try on my next one.

Dark Crop - You changed your avatar !

That bake type clay I "borrowed" from my daughter is super. The eyes and ears are both made from the bake clay.

Tomorrow I will attempt to make the brow and fill in around the eyes. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah, its my new piece of flair I had made.

It may be next on your list, I would work some air dry clay in around the eyes and blend into the bridge of the nose and brow. I always do google searches of old faces to study wrinkle lines and how gravity effects the face. You are at a great point cause its sturdy enough to throw clay on it and play around with different expressions! This thread makes me want to make another witch!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Dark Crop.. I've always found lips difficult to pull off, too.. much easier to bite them off or cut them away with a sharp object. :D

Seriously, though.. they are one of the trickier things to sculpt realistically as the shape of the lips will alter in line with the facial expression. It's easy to overdo it and your prop ends up looking like Mick Jagger on Botox.

I tend to slightly underplay the lips on most of my props, mixing just a little red or blue in with my base flesh colour to pick them out and adding a highlight along the bottom lip, Since most of my props are viewed in subdued or coloured lighting anyway. You may wish to accentuate them a bit more and make them darker and fuller if you were making, say a vampire.

Coming along nicely now Rumsfield, with the addition of the features.. the balsawood teeth look really cool! gonna have to give those a go.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,508 Posts
She's coming along very nicely! You're really capturing the look!

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Looking good, cant wait to see more.

Shes looking freaken awesome very nice work! I like your work space setup totally cool Rumsfield :cool:
Not me. It's too organized, makes me envious. My work area looks like a paint bomb + a small nuclear device went off (not in that order)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to all for looking in and commenting,
After many PM,s sent to various forum members , they gave me the information needed to continue on. I was having a real hard time finding the right texture for making the skin. Viva brand paper towels was my answer. No pattern, does not dissolve when wet, tough enough to work . Thank you DoctorGrim, GhostTown & Corpesnight !
So any way on to the pictures

Also in my time away from the Witch build I have been working on one of her victims

:)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts