Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, for me, as much as I love the month of October (and part of September too, honestly) for the merchandise, the seasonal food, the movies and tv specials, going to haunted attractions and events, and setting up/running the haunt - one of the most special times to me is still late on Halloween night itself, when all is quiet, the display 'closed', the events over - and just time to soak in the nighttime atmosphere, before midnight strikes.

The chill bite of the air, glimpses of the moon behind clouds in the mostly clear night sky, the smell of charred pumpkin flesh and dim flickering candles still lit in the few that haven't gone out, the warmth from a cup of hot cider or hot chocolate, the dark outlines of all the figures and tombstones still out back - it does almost feel magical to me, and special, unlike any other time somehow. It's no longer like the 'simple' Halloweens of childhood with the going out go get candy and scratchy plastic or cloth masks and the sense of 'getting away' with something, but there are still tidbits of that to be felt. I like to wait outside late after the events are over, as it almost feels like anticipation - something may happen - as dumb as it sounds, one of these years, might see a traditional Beistle type witch ride her broomstick across the night sky and in front of the moon. Totally ridiculous, I know - but the feeling persists.

So I shall leave you all for now with this image, taken well past 11 at night of October 31st, 2013 - I always bring inside the pumpkins and am careful with any still lit, so they won't go out till after midnight on their own....

Hopefully the spirit of Halloween shall visit you a little bit as you read this, even though it's May and the haunting season still seems far distant.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
and one more thing, I to always , I mean always since childhood, look at the Halloween moon and really hope I see a Beistle Witch flying over the Halloween moon. I can clearly remember the first year I did this, what a wonderful memory you helped to envoke for me. I was 9, we had the beistles hung in the windows and of course I was dressed as a witch, My Mom yelled its about the be the Witching hour lets go outside, so in my little witch costume with my mom and my brothers I ran outside on our porch and just stared up at the full moon waiting and hoping to see her. I clearly remember looking at the beistle and thinking I HOPE I GET TO SEE HER!!!!!!!!! and I still do............

·
Registered
995 Posts
Very nice description. Halloween is magical, and I always tell people it's more about staying in touch with your memories and youth than anything else. We all had pleasant and fun experiences with the season growing up and have a fondness which we not only try to share, but feel the need to continue onwards with ourselves. I feel sorry for people who don't appreciate it, because when you look at some of these people, it's consistent with other characteristics, and they have long forgotten what is was like to be young. To me that's sad. And since I grew up watching and reading scary movies and such, I still enjoy them now, and that shows in my writing. In my book A HAUNTED HALLOWEEN, some of the stories have pieces of my own experiences contained within, although without the supernatural and horror elements. ;) The magic? It was -- and is -- still there.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,672 Posts
Well said, ReigonsBeyond, I feel the same, in many ways, except for me that moment of wonderment is tempered by a sense of melancholy that another Halloween has gone by too fast, that the moment is fleeting. It's a bittersweet feeling of simultaneous euphoria and sadness; the joy of 'this is IT, this is what I've waited for all year', and the sorrow of 'it's gone, like a leaf carried on the cold autumn wind'.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and one more thing, I to always , I mean always since childhood, look at the Halloween moon and really hope I see a Beistle Witch flying over the Halloween moon. I can clearly remember the first year I did this, what a wonderful memory you helped to envoke for me. I was 9, we had the beistles hung in the windows and of course I was dressed as a witch, My Mom yelled its about the be the Witching hour lets go outside, so in my little witch costume with my mom and my brothers I ran outside on our porch and just stared up at the full moon waiting and hoping to see her. I clearly remember looking at the beistle and thinking I HOPE I GET TO SEE HER!!!!!!!!! and I still do............
That's a great memory, thank you so much for sharing it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wonderful image and narrative, Regions Beyond. As for seeing a Beistle witch soaring over the moon, cardboard likely could zip past it if hit with a particularly strong gust of wind...:p;)
Hah, that's true, but that would mean I lost one ;) And that would be less good....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well said, ReigonsBeyond, I feel the same, in many ways, except for me that moment of wonderment is tempered by a sense of melancholy that another Halloween has gone by too fast, that the moment is fleeting. It's a bittersweet feeling of simultaneous euphoria and sadness; the joy of 'this is IT, this is what I've waited for all year', and the sorrow of 'it's gone, like a leaf carried on the cold autumn wind'.
100 percent agree with the tinges of sadness and melancholy - very well said, and I get the same too, mixed in. It's a very unique feeling.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yes, Regions, you "paint" a very lovely word-picture, many of us here relate to.
October 31st is a special time physically speaking because from Oct. 31st to November 1st this planet has a "Hick-up", possibly a time aberration from it's rotation as it tips while spinning?
Measuring solar time with mechanical time there will be a difference between them every day of the year, except for the equinoxes. But there is a 16 minute difference between solar and mechanical time to the measured maximum on Halloween or the "Day Of The Dead". No other day has such a difference.
Maybe certain spooky or odd feelings or even oddities themselves sneak through a time warp,... then?
It sure seems as if "activity" picks up in this haunted, haunted house in the Fall of the year.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,432 Posts
I totally feel like that, as well, about Halloween night. I can feel it in the air... and on the breeze. I can close my eyes and just sense it. Halloween is magic. It always has been, for me, for as long as I can remember. That magical feeling is both powerful and calming all at the same time. That's the number one thing I love most about it. The soft, flickering light of the Jack-o-Lanterns, the moon light casting a spooky atmosphere, the fallen leaves dancing around me in the chilly, Autumn breeze...sigh, now I am even more wistful for Autumn...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I loved reading this today. Thank you! Last night my husband pulled me outside around 11pm just to take in the night air before we ended our night. It somehow felt like a fall night. A tiny chill in the air, and it smelled amazing! Just like fall. I couldn't breathe in enough of it. I didn't want to go back in the house. So, after last night and then reading this today, it gets me very much in the mood for Halloween and everything that comes with it. Thank you again.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Basically, for me, as much as I love the month of October (and part of September too, honestly) for the merchandise, the seasonal food, the movies and tv specials, going to haunted attractions and events, and setting up/running the haunt - one of the most special times to me is still late on Halloween night itself, when all is quiet, the display 'closed', the events over - and just time to soak in the nighttime atmosphere, before midnight strikes.

The chill bite of the air, glimpses of the moon behind clouds in the mostly clear night sky, the smell of charred pumpkin flesh and dim flickering candles still lit in the few that haven't gone out, the warmth from a cup of hot cider or hot chocolate, the dark outlines of all the figures and tombstones still out back - it does almost feel magical to me, and special, unlike any other time somehow. It's no longer like the 'simple' Halloweens of childhood with the going out go get candy and scratchy plastic or cloth masks and the sense of 'getting away' with something, but there are still tidbits of that to be felt. I like to wait outside late after the events are over, as it almost feels like anticipation - something may happen - as dumb as it sounds, one of these years, might see a traditional Beistle type witch ride her broomstick across the night sky and in front of the moon. Totally ridiculous, I know - but the feeling persists.

So I shall leave you all for now with this image, taken well past 11 at night of October 31st, 2013 - I always bring inside the pumpkins and am careful with any still lit, so they won't go out till after midnight on their own....

Hopefully the spirit of Halloween shall visit you a little bit as you read this, even though it's May and the haunting season still seems far distant.
You hit the nail right on the head! Love this post :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
30 Participants
OctoberDream
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing