Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
OK, just off the top of my head!!!!

1) Sound track playing outside casket (so it sounds muffled), short eulogy, few voices, little bit of crying!!!
2) Flower smelling air freshener inside casket
3) Casket would be elevated to start ,you would have like a vehicle hydraulic jack holding it up. When reaching the point in the sound tape where it would be lowered into the ground you would just turn the hidden jack handle to lower the casket, not to fast but enough to get the elevator feeling with the the thump of reaching the bottom.
4) Soundtrack inside the casket of dirt being tossed on top of the box!!!!

That was my quick and dirty version!!!! You can put a heck of allot of detail in the soundtrack, let there mind do all the rest!!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I know these are still available, as a local haunted house here in Iowa had one this year. I've seen the website and you can also buy a mount to put these into a hearse! I'll do some digging and see if I can find the website.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm sure that this could be done cheaper than the $3500 price from Haunted Village. But it sounds like a LOT of fun.

Craig

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I'm sure that this could be done cheaper than the $3500 price from Haunted Village. But it sounds like a LOT of fun.

Craig

hey , he just said he wanted one he didnt say how much he wanted to pay for it :D:p hehehehe and yes i am sure this can be done for much cheaper then their hot special ;)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think the most expensive part of this would be the casket and the ir camera. If you have a casket you can put it on a table with motion. Run a very small hose into the bottom end of the coffin and use a little air pressure to blow in aroma therapy smells. Flowers, dirt, rotting flowers, etc. Have muffled noise outside playing. Shovel noises, eulogy, etc. in the order it needs. Have the table motion work when the coffin is supposed to be carried to the pit and then lowered in. Have a couple buckets of reusable dirt to dump on top and then shut down all sounds so it's complety quiet. Leave them there for about 5 min. and have them freak out. The ir camera would have to be mounted in the cloth overhead so you could see them but, they couldn't see the cam. That means you would want one of the more expensive ones that don't show the red lights. Mine ran me about $300 for the cam. Just make sure you do NOT lose that coffin key once they are locked inside. What you really need is the Ray Bradberry one where it will embalm and bury you itself like in the short story.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think the sound of the dirt hitting the top of the coffin would be enough. Actual dirt wouldn't be necessary because it wouldn't be enough to even jostle a casket sitting in a hole in the ground in real life, and the person in the coffin wouldn't be able to feel the hit of the dirt on the lid because of the headliner material.

I think most people wouldn't make it past the first minute the lid was closed if there wasn't some kind of light inside. So, the cheaper IR with the IR flood would probably be ideal. In the video of the commerical product, you can see the camera sitting exposed in the headliner, so I'm not sure that you even need to hide it.

The missing ingredient for most of us is that we don't have a suitable audio track to sync to the controller.

Craig

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
This was for sale at Transworld many years ago, I took the "ride", it was well done.
Another Haunt vender there that day was very upset because he said they stole his idea.
The vender is a man who has incredible artistic talent and has done alot but I think the people who built it didn't have to "steal" such an idea, they probably also had the idea.
The main drawback to this is the number of people you can put through it in an hour or a night.
There would have to be at least one employee dedicated to operating it too incase someone had a fit or some other customer wanted to sit on the lid keeping someone trapped in there.
The time /factor of the explaining it to people, helping them into and out of it let alone it's run time......If everything went very smoothly (which things don't) I could see maybe 15 people per/hour making it in and out.
I had a device that required explaining and operating and it really slowed things down here, well I guess I still do have such things here!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I can see where it would be time consuming but, if you had people helping out then it would work. Unfortunately my haunt is just me doing the scarey stuff and my other half handing out candy.
I agree that the sounds can all be done with a recording if done in sequence. I think most of the motion can be done with one person as long as only one customer was aloud into the room so there wasn't any type of screwing around. I also think that the sound could be done with a couple speakers inside the coffin so the noise wouldn't have to be blasted outside. That way it could be done in a very mute type level and the people in line wouldn't know what to expect. They just get to see the expressions of the person inside the coffin. I like the non red ir because, kids tend to play with things. I know that from experience last year. :(
If anyone is going to do this one, please keep us posted how you put it together and the results.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would recommend lining the casket with acoustic wall tile. That way you don't get subtle outside noises creeping in. If you have never had the opportunity to stand next to acoustic tile, it is a very strange experience because of the lack of ambient noise. I think it would really help sell the casket. It may be price prohibitive though as the only place I have seen it was in the TV studio at the community college. Most other locations that needed soundproofing used foam which will cut down on sound, but does not have the same eerie effect the tile did.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I rode this at Transworld a few years ago too. I rode the one that was made by another company. I think it was effectek?? The thing they aren't really describing in the video is that the coffin actually moves. Its hard to explain but from the outside it doesn't look like anything is happening but inside the coffin the bottom part of the coffin that you are laying on moves in response to the story that plays inside the coffin. If I remember correctly the inside shakes when the hearse is supposed to be driving you to the cemetary then you feel them lift you out and put you on the ground with a thud. It also had a lite up face hidden under the fabric on the coffin lid that lit up when you were inside and some little air jets in the side of the coffin that were supposed to feel like bugs were crawling on you. The pnuematics were hidden in the table that holds the coffin. Since the model that they show in the video is a cheaper version made by a different company than the one that I rode in it may not do the same things. I don't remember the one I rode having any smells. It was fun but we didn't buy it. I didn't think we would have enough customer turnover for it to make a profit but if you had a location with huge crowds I think you could probably do well with it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts