Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends. Thought I'd share my latest build. It's a head cage prop that is worn by the Jackal ghost from the movie Thirteen Ghosts. I constructed it out of Elmer's foam board and hot glue. The dimensions are 11"x14" with strips cut 1" wide. I used googly eyes as the "rivets" since they were the perfect size, shape, and came in packs of 60 for $3. Used over 70 of those little buggers. Funny thing is the whole cage rattles now when you shake it! I made the hook out of some scrap pink foam I had. Just cut out the general shape and worked it with a razor. Coated it in liquid latex to seal it so the spray paint wouldn't eat it away (simply because I had no idea what else would have worked). I got the idea from a couple different tutorials on YouTube. Fun, easy, cheap build. For the paint I started with a flat black spray paint coating all over, interior and exterior. Next I dusted it with a brown spray paint. Then simply dry brushed the edges with a silver acrylic paint and a sponge brush.
If I could change anything, I would have made it smaller and more form fitting to a head. It has a little bit of extra space, but that's just nitpicking. Also to figure out how to bend the bars in the front without creasing them. I was a little impatient!

Here's a still from the movie.

image.jpg

And here's mine!

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some progress pictures. Sorry they're so big, guys. Still trying to figure out how to make them less obnoxiously huge.

Started off building 4 corner sections.

image.jpg

Then joined them together with the horizontal strips.

image.jpg

Mankind's greatest achievement: googly eyes.

image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
thats awsome ! i also did this a few years ago and never thought of google eyes for that. painstakenly made shapes from foam. love it!!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,915 Posts
Man, that looks great! I think I would have gone with using vinyl outside corner trim and vinyl lattice strips instead of the foam for durability. Would be a tad heavier, but all the joinery could be done with pvc cement and the corners would be pre made. I only say this because I've spent the last 3 days using the vinyl corner trim redoing our laundry room and as soon as I saw your cage I first thought that it was made from it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't even think of that! Next time I do this kind of build that is for sure what I'll use. Thanks for the tip, Nightfisher!

And thank you all for the positive feedback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is a great job. Great detail! I wish I would have thought about the foam. I made mine about 4 years ago using balsa wood and wooden furniture buttons. Awesome job indeed! Just got involved with the forum so not sure how to upload pictures of it

1 - 20 of 24 Posts