Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Any of you see the new movie "The Haunting on Connecticut"?

I liked it. It's a very different kind of ghost movie, very old school. I thought it was actually creepy and probably the best ghost movie since "The Orphange".

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Not to rain on the parade, but I'm not interested in seeing this movie because it claims to be based on real events when I'm pretty sure it's actually fake.

I saw the original documentary, as well as some of the other "A Haunting" stories, and while some others were very realistic and well-documented, I thought the connecticut one seemed really fake and scripted. I also read that the author of the book admitted himself that it was fake. Here's what he had to say about it:

As I gathered all the necessary information for the book, I found that the accounts of the individual Snedekers didn’t quite mesh. They just couldn’t keep their stories straight. I went to Ed [Warren] with this problem. "Oh, they’re crazy," he said. "Everybody who comes to us is crazy. Otherwise why would they come to us? You’ve got some of the story – just use what works and make the rest up. And make it scary. You write scary books, right? That’s why we hired you. So just make it up and make it scary." I didn’t like that one bit. But by then, I’d signed the contract and there was no going back. I did as Ed instructed – I used what I could, made up the rest, and tried to make it as scary as I could.

(Copied from the Wikipedia page on the movie: The Haunting in Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

For me, the worst part was where the mother was mopping the kitchen floor and the water turned to blood. I didn't even have to read the author's confession before I thought it was fake, I started thinking that when I saw that one scene. That's the stuff of horror movies, not real hauntings. Of course the movie could still be good, since it actually is a horror movie, but I'm still turned off by the fact that they tried to say it was based on real events.

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
Just ruined the whole movie for me. Thanks! LOL I was wondering how much of it was true. I know they added alot but was not sure. Alot of people have had paranormal experiences and things like that are just a slap in the face to all those that are actually into for the research and to explain. I was watching the Ghost Hunters the other day and they were discussing the Warrens and laughed and said that they took everything that the Warrens said with a grain of salt. Not that they are the experts but I think they are a little more down to earth.

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
I just saw on that Wikipedia page that they're making a sequel about the Georgia episode of the show. Hopefully that one will stick to the true story. That was a very realistic and quite interesting documentary, but I'm not sure it would translate well to horror movie. I don't remember it being very scary, just interesting. I'd like to see a movie made of it, but I really, really hope they don't "scary" it up so much that it makes it fake and ruins it.

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
I wasn't really thrilled by this movie either. I was really wrapped up in it until.....all those bodies fell out of the wall. You mean to tell me nobody smelled them?? Not just this family but any others that may have lived there or even the neighbors for that matter. The stench would have been unbelievable. As soon as that part came on it was as if someone had thrown be back in reality. I know a movie is good when I feel like I'm actually there and up until that moment I was. I also read that the son had been diagnosed as either bi-polar or as a schizophrenic. Which could have caused some of his behaviors. The mom was on George Noory not too long ago and said the movie was dead on.

·
Registered
179 Posts
the bodies were embalmed with formeldehyde (sp)

I disliked the movie. Had all the things i hate. Oh things are happening in the house what should we do? I know go to a room and all huddle on the bed. HUH? Or wait even better AFTER things have happened. Ok you stay here in the house with the kids. When we get back we will all leave the house for good.... uhh OK?

I love the "inspired by true events." Kind of like the movie that was "based" on the manson murders but actually had parts taken from 10 other murders.

2,442 Posts
I thought it was good, I didn't mind if it was based on real events or not. If it entertains that's not an issue.

You can't beat the 1980's Changeling movie for a good ghost story as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts