Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , i just finished binge watching THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE on Netflix , i personally think it was one of the best ghost stories i have seen in many years , the characters , the actors the story-line and especially the rather creepy if not sometimes disturbing ghosts , everything for me was brilliant , i just wondered if you all had the same enjoyment of this 10 part series or was it not to your liking , and if not why didn't you enjoy it or think it could have been done better ? i would really like to hear what everyone thought ?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
We are in the process of watching it now, it is part of our 31 days of Halloween watching list. So far only watched 3 episodes. I really like it, my daughter thinks it's too depressing and dark. I don't think I've seen enough yet to give specifics on what I like or don't or wish they had done different. I will post more once I've seen it all. It is very haunting , more so than scary. Creepy in a way but again not in your typical way. I hope they continue to make series like this one for sure.

Just an FYI, I saw on another post you mentioned we have probably had this for awhile but it just started on Netflix last 'Friday the 12th so only a week here too.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've just seen the first episode, which I almost gave up on because of the somewhat bewildering number of cast members being introduced in a fairly short time but my daughter told me to keep watching. She's on episode 3 and said she's only going to watch the rest during the daylight hours.(!) So I persevered and alas, it all began to make sense, in a dark way. Looking forward to the rest.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i nearly did bail first episode as i thought he we go again too much detail on the characters as many series do to pack out the 10 episodes , but to be honest i think it adds more to the story as it progresses and i found i liked the characters better for it with their flaws and all , i really enjoyed episode 3 and 4 and thought the young kid actors were great , i think these type of stories work so well on the Netflix series basis as they can build the atmosphere and dread very slowly along with the background of the characters , the great British ghost story writer M. R. James said the best ghost stories should build fear and dread slowly and methodically right up until the climax and i think this succeeds well , albeit from my own opinion , and yes lilibat there is sadly a nasty cat scene as i am a cat lover as well , and it is quite upsetting . Also Dulcet Jones i actually found the ghosts in the series quite disturbing to some degree in a weird creepy way and disembodiedvoice i totally agree it is more so haunting than scary and as i said before strange but in a good way although it most definitely has its scary moments , i am a 51 year old construction worker but in i think it was episode 7 i jumped out my chair and screamed out like a three year old girl lol , my daughters are still laughing about it , i hope by the end of the series you will all agree somewhat with me , i think it is a sign of maybe more good things to come in this genre , at least i hope so .

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,397 Posts
On the cat thing, the cat FX are pretty badly done, they're kittens actually, so as a fellow cat owned person, even I wasn't moved by it. Plus it's only in one episode in the flashbacks.

Plus there's soooo much worse in this series, it's worth watching & very well done.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Like many netflix series it's terribly paced. I've fallen asleep twice watching it.

And the family fighting amongst themselves in the funeral home is about as well done as bad community theater.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,397 Posts
That's what FF is for! I did it a couple times, especially during the last episode. I thought the kids individual stories in the room were a little redundant after the first one, but overall it's still watchable.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think so many of these Amazon and Netflix series are padded out to help fill out the amount of episodes that they do go over the top with character background BarryJ but i feel in this case it wasn't the case and worked really well , the faults and faubles of the characters was a lot of the time due to things they had seen or experienced within the house , so for me it was worth it , the wake type episode in the funeral home was the weaker episode out of all of them but i can forgive that as they were trying to tie all the characters together then , and i believe that was there attempt at doing so and even then it still had a few good moments , i still preferred Theos and Lukes episodes the best . I agree RCAIG the cat or kitten scenes were quite poorly done as regards effects , i actually wonder if they were intentionally left mediocre as with better detail and effects i think it WOULD been more upsetting or disturbing to serious cat or animal lovers , i still didn't like the scene and could see poor effects and all many getting very upset over it .

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lets face it there's been a lot worse put forward lately on both the cinemas and T.V. i still think its a step in the right direction as regards a good ghost story , they didn't feel they needed to pile loads of blood and gore into the series , and i really really loved some of the chills they used i wont mention any just yet in case of spoilers for those who haven't seen the whole series yet , but i liked the way the ghosts were put forward and portrayed . And damn i think it was actually episode 8 , i know its a jump scare but for crying out loud i nearly wet myself , really made me jump .

·
Registered
282 Posts
I finished watching last night and have to say that I now actively dislike the show. The ending is terrible and betrays everything that was set up over the nine previous episodes. It's the "Lost" of ghost stories.

I'm also usually wary of framing devices such telling stories out of order, even though that's common in ghost stories with the ghost's motivation or creation story often being revealed in the third act. Usually I find this type of framing hides a weak plot. I've tried to put Hill House in chronological order in my head and (outside of Nell's story) I don't think it holds up.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BarryJ you are not alone , my partner totally hated it as well , so as much as i loved it she detested it , for her it was too slow and she to thought it was a dull ending without any real story as to who and why the ghosts were so intent on hurting the occupants , i guess its like anything everyone's tastes vary and it would be a totally boring world if we all liked exactly the same thing , i think for me because i have grown up on so many old British ghost stories in film or like the old BBC ghost story for Christmas series that started in the late 1960,s which i saw later on re runs in the 1970s , i am used to very very slow paced stories , and even when the stories did a reveal usually they were fairly low budget effects or just left to you to your own imagination , so for me THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE is a refreshing change , and for me it was a great show which i really enjoyed .

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My favorite episodes were 3 , 4 and 5 as i think what happened to Nellie especially was what drew the thing together , although Lukes story has some importance of the overall plot as well without giving away any spoilers i think it evens up a bit more but Nellie is crucial to the overall storyline , i hope you enjoy the rest of the series and you let us know your final opinion .

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I really liked it. In general I prefer atmosphere to gore and the show succeeded in creating a believably creepy atmosphere. I got invested in all of the characters and I thought the ending was really good, about the best that can be hoped for in this type of story. I did not see the red room twist coming and thought it was really cool. I thought all of the actors, especially Theo, Nellie and Luke as adults, did a great job. Thumbs up!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Agree dbruner , i thought the characters were so well acted it just added to the story and they drew you into the family , i thought the kids were amazing little actors and for me i sincerely felt for the young Luke with his ghost sightings , i watched a behind the scenes feature and they stated clearly that the young characters hung out with their older counterparts which helped them gain some of their characters traits , and yes how often do we see an ending with a last minute negative ending or worse still in my opinion finish abruptly and lazily leave you to decide the fate , to me it was a good old fashioned ending that finished the story , i didn't work out about Abigail's part , i shall not go into detail in case i go into spoiler territory and i dont want to spoil it for anyone who has not seen it , but that was a good twist and yes i loved the whole ending etc , as i said probably my favorite T.V. Ghost story , in fact it just seemed like a great big 10 hour film .

·
Registered
929 Posts
I am in the process of watching it now. I have watched the first 7 episodes and I absolutely love it. Very creepy and I like the cast of characters. Trying to hold off watching the last 3 but I know I will finish them tonight.

I would love to live in a house like that (minus the ghosts of course).

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well ScareyCarrie i agree with most of what you said , but i suggest you wait until you finish the season before deciding about living there ..... that's where i disagree with you I would most DEFINITELY NOT want to live there , lol but i guess that's the coward in me speaking , but yes i loved it , and have since watched it through again and found a lot i had not noticed or that tied together better after the second viewing .

1 - 20 of 53 Posts