Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the haunted mansion, they used to have a character named the hat box ghost. his head would disappear then reappear in his hatbox. i need help with the lighting. i don't know how i would make the light fade from the real head to the head in the box. so does anyone know how to make the light fade? once someone helps me, i can start working on it.

·
Maniacal Imagineer
1,746 Posts
You can use a fader setup similar to what you'd use for a Peppers Ghost. I'm sure I've seen tutorials on that somewhere. If I can find them I'll add the links here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes

yea i saw that too. but i was thinking of using a pepper's ghost effect in it to make the head actually disappear and reappear somewhere else. i'll get some pics soon. right now i'm making the body.

·
The Minister of Macabre
954 Posts
I bought a 2-way fader a few years ago from Christmas Done Bright for my peppers ghost, but it is now discontinued. Check this link to their site, this device might be what you need, if anything, give them a call and tell them what your doing, they might have what you need.
SMALL 2 POINT CONTROLLER

·
Registered
622 Posts
Here... try this out... This is what I did and it worked great!

How To: 4 channel 8 function 3Amp animation controller for $5

It was sooooo simple to make even for me (self-professed electronic equivelent of an eighty pound weakling...lol)!

PS. Spookineer: good thinking about the "Haunted Mansion North-Side"! That's the first thing I thought of.

·
Registered
622 Posts
BTW:

There are some wild rumours going around right now that Disneyland is possibly planning to re-install the Hatbox Ghost effect for the 40th Anniversary this coming September! Now as per the Doombuggies.com forums it's still all conjecture as to whether this will be the case or not, but I'm crossing my fingers!

Link to Doombuggies.com forum Hatbox Ghost Thread:

THE HATBOX GHOST TO RETURN IN 2009 - Where Hinges Creak in Doorless Chambers - Hot and Cold Running Chills - Disney's Haunted Mansion - Message Board - Yuku

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Thanks for posting this Grimsley, I've been wait for HBG to make his return. I knew it was only a matter of time seeing as how the Constance Scene sets up the plot for his return. I hope WDW gets him.

Regarding Original Post:

Would using video footage be out of the question? Maybe thats the way to go:confused:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hmmm... hard to say... I know the fellow in the previous link that Spookineer posted (North-Side Haunted Mansion) figured out a way. Disney's original effect had pinspots trained on each head (if I'm not mistaken). This fellow made the heads translucent and illuminated them from the inside keeping the top head completely sillouetted and dark when it the other in the hatbox was illuminated.

With the technology available today I imagine there's a better way. IMO though, I'm not a huge fan of the Constance projection. It's a little more obvious looking (as a projection) than some of their older effects even. Mind you I've never seen Constance in person (YET!).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys, but i need like a $20 contraption that will fade from one point to another. I'm not really good with electrical stuff, and all the stuff done for you isn't cheap. should i just wait till next year for it?:confused:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I would try that Chistmas Light Controller hack... cost me all of about $10 buck and about half an housr to do... and I know very little about electrical stuff. All you do is find one of those Christmas light strings that have the little box/button that gives you the multi-functions, like chase, fade, flash etc. They almost always have the "fade" option.

1) First you identify which wire is the ground. That will be the one that goes from the very end bulb all the way back to the controller without going into any other lights.

2) Then you cut off all the Christmas lights, keeping just enough wire for each "Channel" to splice some plugs.

3) You can either but female plugs at a hardware store or just cut them off the ends of other old or really cheap light strings/extension cords. Using wire nuts (the colourful plastic ends that allow you to twist 2 wires together) and extra wire from the unused light string, splice the a female plug to each outgoing lead (channel wire) and then each female plug to that one ground wire.

4) In the end you should have 3-4 spliced plugs (depending on how many channels there are) that all come back and are spliced together to the 1 remaining ground wire. 4-5 splices in all.

Now you have a light controller/fader that will flash or fade (depending on the setting you choose) whatever you plug into the female plugs.

The following is one example of the end result. Wiat for a bit and take note of the fade function at about 43 seconds into the video. The key here is that you can have 1, 2, 3 or 4 (if you have a fourth channel) lights fading. If you just want one, only use 1 channel/plug at a time. If you want a cross fader (only really works well with a 4 channel set), use channel #1 & #3! Totally up to you.

This will be the cheapest way to do it. Otherwise I would suggest ordering one of the cross faders that Bradbaum suggested here (2nd item down):
New Page 1

Whichever way you go, good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I did a peppers ghost effect back in 05. The cheapest simplest way I found was to take two wall light dimmers with the round knobs. Face the round knobs together and glue them to each other. Then I took wood rod and glued it to the top of the knobs. Hooked up lights to both light dimmers when pushing or pulling the rod one side would dim and click off whilel the other side would light up. Cost me nothing had couple dimmers laying around.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I did a peppers ghost effect back in 05. The cheapest simplest way I found was to take two wall light dimmers with the round knobs. Face the round knobs together and glue them to each other. Then I took wood rod and glued it to the top of the knobs. Hooked up lights to both light dimmers when pushing or pulling the rod one side would dim and click off whilel the other side would light up. Cost me nothing had couple dimmers laying around.
That's the very same setup I've used (cheap and easy to wire up). I even set one up with a nylon gear sandwiched in between the two knobs so I could automate it with a servo motor.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Check out index and look at thier flip flop for $26.
It is designed to do exactly what you are asking about.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You understand the flip flop boxes are just a relay? There is no fade between the two light sources.

You can build your own flip flip box with a relay like this one:

125VAC/10A DPDT Plug-In Relay - RadioShack.com

120 VAC for control to the coil.
Neutral (White) to one side of both lights
Hot (Black) to the common of the relay contacts
Relay NC (Normally Closed) to the light in the head on the body
Relay NO (Normally Open) to the light in the hat box

Normally the head on the body is illuminated and the hat box is dark.
When the prop is activated by activating the coil of the relay with 120 volts,
the light in the hat box turns on and the body light turns off

This is a quick and easy way to light this prop, and then you can upgrade to the cross fader at a later time when you can afford it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts