Halloween Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day while walking thru the park I stumbled upon an old decaying tree. It’s body was twisted and gnarled having been hollowed out by decades of rot. It’s bark was crumbling like the flesh of an ancient corpse. It looked sad as it stared back at me with a deep empty gaze. Yet all these years it remained there, ever vigilant. I would often visit this “Hallowed” out tree. Till one day as I passed by the tree was no longer there for it had finally given in to the ravages of time. As I frantically searched I discovered it lying upon its death bed. This was no place for the “Hallowed” out tree. Cleared of its rot and all its debris; it now stands once more having been raised from the dead. For now it will live forever as The Halloween Tree.

Attachments

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments, the tree was in really bad shape when I rescued it (a lot of decay, insects and even a scorpion which stung me - luckily I was wearing thick leather gloves). I just finished spraying it with insecticide to kill all the insects. I'm in the process of stabilizing the bark (as the tree decays the bark separates from the wood). I have been using wood glue to reattach the bark to the wood core. It has been a slow but necessary process. Once this is complete I will “generously” coat the tree with a wood sealer or varnish to further protect it. I want to try and keep it’s naturally appearance as much as possible. To secure the tree in an upright position I’m attaching three 2’ long pieces of PVC pipes to the interior and then staking pieces of rebar into the ground slid through the PVC pipes. I will then mount 2 remote control 10W RGB LED lights to the interior that will allow me to control both lighting colors and intensity. The last step will be to add a motion activated, motorized skeleton “popper” that will rise-up out of the top of the tree as visitors walk by (it will be similar in appearance to the static one that I built for my cauldron - see photo).

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
Very cool save indeed. I want to keep track of this because I found a few old stumps that would be cool as part of a witch display I have in mind and they are full of ants and starting to rot in a similar manner. Id like to save one or two if I can. If you are successful, it gives me hope.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Dip it in plasticine?

I remember seeing something about how museums preserve old plants/trees for displays. It was something they dipped things in to stabslizing them from decomposition.

Or like what they did with that creepy body works exhibit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts