Halloween Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my Halloween, and all of my work to date, has come to a sudden and crashing Stop.
And all of the work, and all of the hours, that have been spent to date on my Haunt, has all been for nothing....not to mention the Money, as well.
The World, that we now live in, is just Totally Effed UP!
The Politically Correct stuff, has gotten to the point of just being Out of Control, for the most part.
We happen to live in a nice Condo complex, but....not one person in here, does anything, when it comes to Decorating, for any of the Holidays.
May be .....we were Wrong for doing it?.....But.....If it was not for "US"......the little kids around our area, would have No Where to go.
Each and every year, our Haunt would get Bigger and Better, and we thought.....that everyone enjoyed it, and it was Fun....and It was also Fun to see our Numbers increase, each and every year.....from just a hand full of kids....to them coming in the Hundreds now.
Last year, one of the owners complained, that we were using the Guest Parking, as our own personal construction site.....and they accused the Strata of Paying me, to be building the Props and the Grave Yard. lol
Yup.....there is always at least one Nut Job, ( in every Neighbourhood ) no matter where you might live....whether it be in your own House, or in your own Condo etc.
I have spent the last couple of weekends.....Building a bunch of Coffins and a Ghosty Boooo letin Board etc.....and when not building, I have been Buying, for the Haunt.
To add to the BS..........We were going to hold a Food Drive, for our local Food Bank.....and that is why I made the Bulletin Board.....to Post some Spooky Posters and Announcements .....telling everyone that walked by......about our Food Drive, for this years Halloween.
There is more......to add to that Pain......I was working all day Long.....on a HUGE "Open" Coffin.....that is 8 Feet Long....and 3 feet wide......with 18 inch sides on it....and that was going to used for all of the Canned Goods and Food Donations, that we were going to collect for the Food Bank.
When I walked in, from working on my Coffins all day long...since 7:00 AM.....I saw an envelope with my Name on it.....and when I opened it.....I was informed by the Strata Council President.....to STOP.....with my Building of Halloween decorations.....and to Immediately "Remove" them all ....or be facing "Fines"! LOL
Yup.......Can you believe how People are, these days?
Like what the hell happened, to being able to celebrate our Festive seasons?
What ever happened to people, actually Loving our Holiday seasons?
What ever happened to people Standing for the Flag, and paying respect to those, that Died for it?
What ever happened to people, wanting to pass on our Traditions, to the young kids growing up.
I can not tell you how Effing Furious I am ....right now.
I was going to write to the council, and Flip Out on them....but....WHY....even bother?
I can not tell you.....How Bad I feel.....and how Angry I am, right now.
I could scale it down.....and decorate just our Condo Unit.....but.....what Fun is that?
For the last 10 years....I have been doing this, and using the entire complex, as one Big Haunt.
No......I know what you are thinking.......I never infringed on anyone else's place....I would just use the Front Lawn area, and the inner Court Yard area, and of course... our own Condo Front Entrance.
I just received the letter an hour ago......and as of now.....I am just thinking .......Eff IT ALL!
Efff......Everyone..... in this complex.
When the Families and the Little Kids come by, this Halloween......they will all be asking......WTF Happened.....to the Halloween Place?
I am soooooooo PISSED OFF.......I could just efffffing Cry!
WTF is wrong with this world, that we now live in?
Just wondering, if anyone else has run into anything like this?
Has anyone else, had to just Cancel Halloween.....due to others Ignorance before?
If so.....I would Love to hear all about it.
At this moment, I am just thinking....to hell with everyone....and I do mean.....Everyone!
I think, that I would feel a lot better, right now.... if I just put a Match....to it ALL!
Our World and our entire Society......is sooooo Screwed Up, and it just keeps getting worse and worse with each passing day.
Any suggestions?
Do I Torch it all?
Thats the way that I am leaning....right now!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Oh man:-( This just reinforces how I feel about any HOA! And yes all this politically correct BS is ruining society as a hole.Its very sad that no one evens knows how to have innocent fun anymore. I am truly sorry you have to go though this. My advise....move far far away from any HOA!!!! I would rather live in a tent. Hope things get better:)

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,843 Posts
HOAs are the worst. It was one really big requirement when we were house hunting, no HOAs & we got it.

I know you're really PO'd right now but take a step back, breathe, & see if they'd still let you do the food drive part. I can't imagine they'd say no to that. You'll still get to hand out candy right? There will still be ToTers coming?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
I am definitely sorry that they are telling you to stop decorating, but do try to take some time and calm down just for your own health/well-being. Getting this angry and worked up isn't good for anyone.

I would request a meeting with the HOA president, calmly explain how you are trying to foster a sense of community and encourage the neighbors to interact with each other, and that you are collecting for a food pantry/charity this year.

Ask them if there was some sort of procedure in place for getting permission from the HOA to use common areas and apologize for not thinking of asking before now, but you really do hope there is some way to compromise so the neighborhood kids and parents that look forward to this every year aren't disappointed.

Even if you don't feel you should have to be nice, being sweet and apologetic and pleading "but think of the children!" will likely get you better results than threats and anger.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Honestly I'd protest it. This isn't some blanket rules change, this is targetting you directly. If you've been doing this for 10 years as part of this condo corp and never had a problem why is there one now? How to protest it? That I can't help you with. I've never been a part of a condo corp or belonged to a HOA (case in point as to why), but there has to be a way to bring something like this up to the board.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Sorry that you are having this issue. I hope that you do not put a match to all your hard work. Maybe you can get in touch with a community center, or a church, or some of your friends who live someplace that doesn't have to deal with HOAs or condo presidents and see if they would let you set up your decorations at their place. You could leave a note on your door letting folks know where they can go to see your handy work.

204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for your sound advice and support.
I usually always go with the 24 Hour Rule, where.....I will wait at least 24 hours or more, before addressing any issues or problems ......but....this one , is especially difficult to deal with.
I still find it so hard to understand, how Adults can be so Blind, to how they can affect a child's life, by being so Self Righteous.
I'm not suggesting, that what ever do for Halloween, is going to Mold any child, into being a better human being....but what we do, at Halloween...certainly will give them all, some very Good and Fun memories, that they will have for ever with them....just as we all do.
I was initially Fuming and Mad, but now......I am just disappointed and stunned, as to how things have changed .....sooooooo very much in our lives.
Traditions are obviously, a thing of the past.
It seems as if, "WE" are all a dying breed.
Its rather sad, that everyone has Rights, these days.......except for the ones, who are actually wanting to make a difference.
Thanks again, for the advice.
I'll sleep on it for now.
If I can? lol

204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry that you are having this issue. I hope that you do not put a match to all your hard work. Maybe you can get in touch with a community center, or a church, or some of your friends who live someplace that doesn't have to deal with HOAs or condo presidents and see if they would let you set up your decorations at their place. You could leave a note on your door letting folks know where they can go to see your handy work.
Thats a very good idea.
If all else fails. I might have to resort to doing just that.
The Fun part for us, is being able to do it, from our own home......having the Trick or Treaters...knocking on our own door.
Having our FX Images, being shown, on our own Windows.
Excellent suggestion though......Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Thats a very good idea.
If all else fails. I might have to resort to doing just that.
The Fun part for us, is being able to do it, from our own home......having the Trick or Treaters...knocking on our own door.
Having our FX Images, being shown, on our own Windows.
Excellent suggestion though......Thanks for the idea.
I know that is the fun of it, to be able to do it at your own home. However maybe this year do it elsewhere, (hopefully in a location still close by your home) if you can't get something worked out with the Condo folks before Halloween. This will give you a year to fight for your right to put up Halloween decor around your condo and the common areas. Take notes and or pics. of any other holiday decor or signs and such placed in those areas throughout the year by other condo owners (that is if anyone else goes all out with decorations or signage) to be used in the case of why you should be able to decorate also. Also go around and survey your neighbors and see how they feel about the decorations. Do they like them? Do they not like them? Are they okay with them being put up? If most of your neighbors are okay with them being put up that will also work in your favor. Also maybe you can find somewhere else to build your props so you are not taking up parking spots, even if they are your own assigned spots.
If you have been doing this for 10 years without complaint, then my guess is most of your neighbors are okay with it. Most likely it is a new person/family/couple in the condos that is making all the fuss.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,843 Posts
Maybe there's a whole new condo board all together or maybe just a new board member who decided to reeeaaalllly start enforcing the rules. It might have been a rule that had been in place for ages but they just let it go because whoever was in charge or on the board didn't care about it or enjoyed.

Our friends have an HOA that is pretty laissez faire about almost everything, but every so often they'll hop in & make someone move their camper or fix a window screen, nothing major. The biggest thing they had to deal with was a neighbor who put up a fence across his line on to community property, but even then they didn't make the guy take down his fence.

On the opposite side, my aunt & uncle have a townhouse (which thankfully they're selling) with ridonkulous HOA rules. Rules down to what color you paint things, what kind of outdoor fixtures you can have & if your window screen is only down halfway or has a cut in it they're at the property with a notice.

I hate HOAs but at the same time I understand the reasons behind it.

Here's an idea, figure out how to get on the condo board (if that's possible) & try to make the changes you want. That would benefit everyone on a lot of different levels.

·
Registered
194 Posts
When speaking to your HOA board, should they seem reluctant to hear you out or find some solution to this, you could mention that a call placed to every local TV news station and newspaper wouldn't be out of the realm of your options, especially since you already have a multi-year history of building your haunt with no complaints up to this point. Also highlight the point that the amount of good being done for the community in need far outweighs the capitulation to some disgruntled complainer. The HOA should consider this a way to positively influence the area, and possibly reducing the environment for crime and mischief when they are viewed as being a help, not a hindrance to those in need.

·
Seer of All
2,940 Posts
Correct me if I misread but it seems the problem stems from the fact that you were using common areas of the unit such as visitor parking and courtyard areas, etc and someone complained. If that's the case, it sounds like they had no choice but to prevent you from going any further with what you were doing. I've never lived in a condo unit so I'm just assuming here but it seems you would need permission from all the unit owners to use common areas for a large event if they in fact pay fees to use and maintain those areas. Why not just take a minute or two to review the rules of your association and then if you believe you are not in violation of any rules, take it to the leadership of the association to try and resolve the issue?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't let anyone take your thunder away! You love Halloween and you obviously have put a lot of thought and money into your home display. I am sorry you are going through this incredibly frustrating situation, but please don't give up! You mentioned that you wanted to do a food drive for your local food bank, perhaps there is a way for you to get some satisfaction by setting up a small Halloween display and organizing a food drive/trunk or trick event outside the food bank, the weekend before Halloween. Show 'em that you still have the Halloween spirit and no one is going to take that away from you! It could be a win/win situation for everyone. You'll provide the kiddos a memorable Halloween while giving back to your community. Enlist some help from your family and friends. I think you'll feel better if you can find a way to share your excitement for your favorite holiday. Good Luck with whatever you choose to do!

204 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can't tell you all, how much I appreciate your Feed Back - your Ideas and you heart felt understanding as to ....how I feel, right now.
I have avoided looking at any thing to do with Halloween all day long.
Having said that, I have snuck peeks at the Forum through out the day, and have even set the PVR to record Halloween Wars on TV.
I went from being angry as of yesterday, to just feeling really empty and drained and betrayed, as of today.
Unfortunately, there is no talking to these people, so I will not be taking that suggestion to heart.
I had basically finished... building the things, that I was needing to build......aside from my Biggest Coffin, that was to be used in our Food Drive.
I have the base already cut out, and the sides as well.
I have my Two FULL Size Coffins completed as of yesterday......and the only other thing that I was going to build, was my Full Size Hearse.
I have the sides cut out for the Hearse.....and I have everything that I need to put it together.....besides the Axles ( Which should be pretty easy to come up with).
So.....their issues of me, using the Guest Parking area to Build and to Store myself, is not really an issue.
Well.......I was hoping to store my Coffins there, for the next week or so.......as I was planning on slowing adding them to my Haunt, as there were needed.
This weekend was going as planned and to schedule,.... UNTIL....I received this notice to STOP , as of last night.
I was planning on putting up my Grave Yard Fence all day today......whether it was Raining or not....and as it turned out......It was Gorgeous outside today with Brilliant Sunshine all day long.
The part that Pissed me off the most, was their ...."Threat".... to immediately "FINE" me....for having my Coffins stored, in our Underground parking area.
These are the same people, that I once considered to be Friends, at one time.
Get this one.....Last Christmas, I made a "North Pole".... Red and White Stripped directional Pole.......with everyones names ......Individually painted on their own Personalized Plaques.
I'll find some Pictures of what I made....to give you an idea, as to .....how much Work, and Thought, and Effort... went into the creation of the Two of the Poles.
None of us do this for Thanks.....we all do it.....because we LOVE to just to keep the Tradition going, and to create some FUN memories for the little Kids.....and for the Big Kids as well.
Today......I left the Coffins exactly where they were, as of yesterday.
To take my mind off of Halloween.......I watched Football for most of the day, while slowly putting my Halloween stuff, back up in the Attic.
Im just thinking of giving them all a BIG F U.......and doing absolutely NOTHING for Halloween this year, as my way, of imposing a FINE on all of them.
I am sure, you all know how much TIME and EFFORT and Money.... went into collecting all of my Lumber and Plywood, and Wheels ( the Old Steel Wagon Wheels cost me $400 for the set ) and Old Lanterns ...Old Tricycles....Old Scooter.....the Old Wagon ......etc.......and now......being Told.....that I am not able to have a Haunt this year.
Ya know......."IF".......they had just come up to me, back in May....and said.......we have concerns about doing a Haunt this year......it would have at least, Scaled it back.
I forgot to mention......that they also sited Insurance concerns.
We did increase our Insurance, to compensate for anything that MIGHT happen.
They can check that off.....the List!
So as of now........I am just thinking a BIG .....F - U to them ALL.
I really do not have the Time, to be setting up my display any where else.
I work very Early mornings ( 3:30 AM is when my days start ) and long hours.....so.....setting up....some where else, is just not going to happen, based on Time and the lack of energy.
Setting up your own Display at Home.....is the only thing, that makes any real sense....you can just pick away at it, on your own time frame.
I'm thinking to just take a Pass, on this years Halloween.
My Heart has just been Ripped Out.....and Stomped on.
Its not just the work of actually building all of this stuff.....it is the Time spent....Planning it all out.
I am sure, that you will all agree with me, but Halloween......is constantly on our minds....24 / 7... and that is the FUN part for us, that are Hooked on Halloween.
We "ALL" ....LIVE and BREATH Halloween.....and that Life.....and that Fire......has had a Bucket of Water poured onto it!
The Halloween Flame.....has been put out.
I feel as if.....a very Good... Close.... Friend..... has just suddenly Passed away.
At least, I have a Coffin for him!
I can't tell you.....how Miserable I am, right now.

·
Registered
414 Posts
So I'm curious. I've never lived in a condo, have no plans to, but what actual power do they have? I mean they can tell you to pay x fine for y reason, but how on earth do they enforce that? You own the place, you never agreed to this rule, so how can they enforce this rule on you? They're not your landlord, so they can't evict you. I can't see some arbitrary rule holding up in court, so I'm kinda baffled. Not trying to incite anything, just honestly curious. I'd be showing them my middle finger and putting up my haunt honestly, but then I don't know what actual consequences can fall out.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
MOD NOTE: Reminder to everyone to please keep it PG and stop advocating anything that might be considered illegal, violent or against the rules... If not, this thread will be locked and possibly deleted.

Expressing disappointment and upset is fine, but advocating illegal or violent activities is not.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.