Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the day that my fellow Canadian (and a witch) told us about the fur harvest in China, THIS should make you all feel better...
Found a day or two old kitten behind my BBQ where it's Mom had deserted it. The 3 siblings were already dead and this guy was just beating the clock.
Totally and solid black. Perfect Halloween cat.
The eyes aren't even OPEN yet and it curled up into my black t shirt and has been sleeping there ever since I got some kitten supplement down the mouth...hungry little thing...wiggles around and fits into the size of my palm when he wants to do the "Ramblen' Man" routine..he just rolls around at times and then snuggles into the gap between the thumb and fore finger...
My cat Zontar has already come up and nosed at it and decided it is good....or at least not worthy to get upset about...
Will keep you posted as to it's progress...haven't seen them THIS young since I left my dads' farm...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
uncletor , i was wondering where you wore going with the" on the same day that i posted the fur in china" post , i just saw that post got resurected recently it is actually from last year , but you found a sweet gift today :) , keep up posted with a picture , i hope he makes it and let us know how he/ she will be named too. good luck :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yay!!! awwww! That's my feel-good animal story for the day! And there's a few awesome threads on here already for Halloween names for pets- keep us posted how he's doing! :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See, I GOTTA start remembering to read when the things are posted...
As for names...whoa nelly....I usually wait until the eyes are open and we LOOK at each other..then the name pops into my head...and yes, there are RAFTS of names on this site for grabs...many of them supplied by my old buddy Dutchess...a cool story for you...her husband and I would laugh on the phone and figure out just WHAT names would GET her the most if I used them on the cats...she has cool, sophisticated, new age, Wiccan names like Draven and such, ,right? Well, I'd mention the cats and call them something like Lug Nut or Lido...he suggested Cleatus...she would suck in her breath and realized I was playing her and say softly;'Lug Nut...you're funny..."
Then she'd make a doll of wax, stick two pins into it and I'd lose the use of both arms.
Okay...the little guy is taking to curling up into the sleeve of my shirt and sleeping there..nice loud meow, but still no open eyes, and he has had his first BM...on me...but he made it through the night...

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
I have three black cats (five total). I am absolutely sending you well wishes for your kitten.

I hope hope hope he does well!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
....dang....
my partner just got a call from a friend...my gal got crapped on too, and funny as it was to me, she mentioned that the crap seemed to be red or reddish, and her friend said if it's like HER cats they will have less then four weeks...
I know, I know...we'll fight like hell and you get attached when they dose off inside the t shirt right next to your arm pit...
but worse come to worse, I hope the eyes open and we get a name and they get to see the guy who has been feeding them for a while.
Gal's working from home tomorrow to keep a lid on things while I sleep the night shift off...I'll try and get some pics of the little one...fits right into my hand...
on the other hand, it might just live to be fat and sassy and crap on lots and lots more clothes...we all have our purpose in the universe...

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Unc - given that the cat's feral (or at least born outside regular domesticated surroundings), it might be ringworm or other parasites (not all that uncommon in outdoor cats).
If you have the means, it might be worth having a vet examine the stool to check for parasites - chances are, something can be done for the kitten.

My hat's off to you and the Mrs for taking the little urchin in and caring for it.
I'm hoping there's lots of life and personality in that little ball of fur.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The kitten died maybe 25 minutes ago.
For some reason I called home, and the better half told me it had just died...never really woke up after 8 pm, really.
I honestly thought it had turned the corner. No red bm's and it was urinating great...we put it in a taller plastic box it COULD NOT climb out of. Changed the lining every time it needed it. Spent today curled up on my chest while I slept after my night shift..I'd cup it in my two hands, covering it. Every now and then it would jump or tremble or pulse against the palms as if to say;" Just checking to see if you tossed me back in that box yet...."
I'll remember those meows. They were regular, like the heart monitors they always have on the sound track of medical shows..but it sounded like the squeaker from a rubber duck or doggie squeeze toy...it's how I knew it was relaxing...the whistle would get lower and at slower intervels..and then finally quit when it went to sleep.
Good night, little guy...

·
Registered
598 Posts
(((hugs)))
Awwww, Uncletor. Not the ending any of us would have wished, and I'm so sorry. I know the feeling of fostering a young one and having them pass away after a few days- doesn't matter how long you had it for, you still get attached. But I'm glad you were able to give it a good, loving home for however long his little life was meant to be- you guys were able to keep him warm and safe and out of danger for that time. Now I'm all sad too... :(

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Ah hell...

Unc - I, for one, would like to thank you for your caring for that kitten, and for letting all of us enjoy the story as well.
Really is an awful shame it came to such an abrupt end, but I'd like to think your efforts were appreciated for that brief period of time.

My hat's off to you once again...deep bows to you and your wife.

·
Incarnation of evil
916 Posts
Sorry to hear, my cat Tylee had 6 kittens about five months ago. She was so little, just a kitten herself. Two died at birth and two died later. They had seemed to be doing well but did not survive. The other two terrors are going on five months and play all night and sleep most of the day. I think they are plotting to take over the house but I have no concrete proof of it so far. Their names are Midnite (black) and Tori ( multi-colored). So far they have been trashing my graveyard scene. Man, just no respect for the dead!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
RIP, little guy. It's so sad, Unc. He gave us all great joy while he was here, now he's gone to the big cat box in the sky to play with all the other kitties we have lost over the years. Elway, please take good care of little guy.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Fair play to you Unc, for the time and effort you put in trying to save the little fella.
Sorry to hear that the outcome was so sad.

I'll keep an eye out for him, doff my topper and make sure to bow extra low as he passes on his way to the great scratching post in the sky..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts