Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought I was out Christmas pulled me back in.

I was asked to build a Grinch for Christmas to put on my roof. boy I was rusty. I started one out of pink foam and one out of model magic. the model magic won but came with its challenges. alot of model magic was heavy but I think I have it under control so far.

I still have to do a tutorial on model magic one on how to do it one on how to repair it. the finished one is model magic. the foam one went as far as pictured

Attachments

·
Registered
13,630 Posts
I was slowly scrolling down the photos thinking wow that pink foam grinch was great. Then came to the last photo with the model magic. Wow that model magic is awesome! I can see why you are going with the later. The dimensional aspects of it make it so real. Hope your pink guy doesn't end up in the trash! Look forward to seeing your tutorial.

·
Master of Disaster
1,516 Posts
Love it.

I'm a big fan of model magic as well. It's very light and paints well, doesn't get overly brittle. It's air drying, but it doesn't dry so fast that you can't go over parts a few times (within a couple of hours anyway)

It took awhile to figure out the best way to use model magic to get the desired result. It's not like clay, in that it's a bit rubbery, but you can use most tools and techniques that apply to regular clay.

I do notice that it cracks. I've used thin layers of liquid latex to fill cracks, without losing detail.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Latex probably would work great i have a couple gallons of glue ( one time i thought I could paper mache...I cant i stink at it ) so i fill the cracks with glue. it does crack and this grinch head cracked alot. the clay was extra soft.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wow, that was truly amazing. Just think if more haunters decorated for Christmas? Those sally buy everything from walmart decorators would get smoked. Nobody has any clue the kind of talent the haunters bring to the table. But im sure most of you are like me, you spend most of the summer and fall working on you haunts and when Christmas comes around youre jsut exhausted and the thought of mixing one more gallon of monster mud makes you just want to punch infants (just me? damn). Great Grinch!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts