Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my 2007 setup in the front of the house. The show was made for the kids so it's more of a "silly scary". Sorry for the crappy vid quallity. This show also has a video projected charactor who interacts with the animatronic charactors. Low budget, but not bad.
YouTube - Grim and Jack Show Pt.2
Bill Ehrsam.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really low budget. Thats me voicing all 3 charactors. Did the script too. I had some FX you couldn"t "see" as there was 9 channels of audio and a fan for the "erie wind" Grim discribes in his story. There was also a pneumatic "pop up" head from behind a toombstone the camera never got, and a fogger that blew fog from behind at an early cue in part 1. I was the video charactor as well. Ony took 2 takes! Used a Ruku compact flash video player trigered from my controller, and an In Focus video projector. I have the guts for my fog screen, but need to borrow a sheet metal brake to finish the box, so I just used the old standby, the sheet! I do audio for attractions so that part was easy.

Thanks for the comments guys,

Bill Ehrsam.

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
See, that's were we (well most of us), fall short. Production value. I wish I had the vocal talent and musical ability you do. That alone can make a great show from mere hand puppets, let alone show controlled props.

·
1,562 Posts
I second that...you can really tell Bill works in the amusement industry. I am so jealous. Heheh.."Hock-a-big-a-loogy".

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See, that's were we (well most of us), fall short. Production value. I wish I had the vocal talent and musical ability you do. That alone can make a great show from mere hand puppets, let alone show controlled props.
I'm still educating them, but I think Oak Island Group (they do all the haunt stuff for the Buch parks and others) is finaly understanding how important sound realy is. I've done sound work for them for the last two years. I did a 4 channel efect last year called "The Hall Of Whispers" that did really well. Its me doing all the voicing, but with creepy whispers comming from all directions, it still creeps me out if you play it with the lights low i the studio. That sound went to Lowery Park Zoo, Both Buch gardens parks, and Universal Orlando. I also like to put erie drones in the background of my room loops along with the usual sound FX. It helps act like that wierd distained string chord you hear in the horror movies just before the psycho jumps out with a knife. Really adds to the "mood". Lesson # 2 for the newbies, always have the best sound you can afford. It's 1/3rd of the total production.

Bill.

·
1,562 Posts
I'm still educating them, but I think Oak Island Group (they do all the haunt stuff for the Buch parks and others) is finaly understanding how important sound realy is. I've done sound work for them for the last two years. I did a 4 channel efect last year called "The Hall Of Whispers" that did really well. Its me doing all the voicing, but with creepy whispers comming from all directions, it still creeps me out if you play it with the lights low i the studio. That sound went to Lowery Park Zoo, Both Buch gardens parks, and Universal Orlando. I also like to put erie drones in the background of my room loops along with the usual sound FX. It helps act like that wierd distained string chord you hear in the horror movies just before the psycho jumps out with a knife. Really adds to the "mood". Lesson # 2 for the newbies, always have the best sound you can afford. It's 1/3rd of the total production.

Bill.
Hmmmm...I will look into some decent recording equipment. Sounds like a good invesment.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A little off topic but....

Didn't want to start a new thread for this so I posted my "little" backyard project here. My oldest son (7 yrs) and I are roller coaster fanatics, and I know how to weld. So.......

Bill Ehrsam.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That coaster is so awesome! You've got to incorporate it into next years haunt- like maybe grim or jack go to the amusement park LOL]

victor

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
And i tought i'd seen it all but no , a roller coaster in a backyard i never saw that before LOL

that is so cool , you need (HAVE) to post a video of this

do your neibourghs think you have a little screw loose ? hehehe i agree that you defenatly need to make this working with a skellie in it riding next halloween

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
video playback

Video playback is done with a solid state vid player using compact flash cards to store the video. Playback is triggered from my animatronics controller.

Bill.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Conntroller

Even more simple as it all runs on MIDI. MIDI note on/off data for digital outs, MIDI CC value data for analog out.

Bill Ehrsam.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts