Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an old school feather duster and the Spirit tabletop animated broom to create the effect of a ghostly maid dusting my Haunted Hotel.

feather duster.jpg animated broom.jpg

Here is the final outcome of the "maid" dusting my glass top coffee table. So happy that the edge detection works on solid glass.

·
Registered
349 Posts
AWESOME!! What a creative idea. I love it!

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Dark Crop!!

Stacy - thank you so much. Given your talents, this by no means holds a candle to your abilities - but I thought it would be a neat piece of ambiance at the hotel this year. I believe someone mentioned creating a duster in a thread from a few years ago, luckily one of my local Spirit stores still had left over stock of the small animated broom available.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Stacy - thank you so much. Given your talents, this by no means holds a candle to your abilities - but I thought it would be a neat piece of ambiance at the hotel this year. I believe someone mentioned creating a duster in a thread from a few years ago, luckily one of my local Spirit stores still had left over stock of the small animated broom available.
Oh no you don't...I appreciate the compliments..but this is super great! I wish I would have thought of it. Be proud of it! I cannot wait to see your whole set -up this year!

·
Sleep with one eye open
587 Posts
Nice use of the broom prop , creative idea for a ghost maid .

When your rooms unclean , and there's too much dust ,,, Who ya gonna call? Ghost Dusters ! :)

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love your duster. A maid costume maybe hanging above the table with a fan blowing on it would be spooky/cute.
That is a fantastic idea, witchy poo !! I'm going to see if I can find a maid costume for cheap - I believe even the drug stores sell those in their limited selection of costume choices and shouldn't be over the top expensive.

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice use of the broom prop , creative idea for a ghost maid .

When your rooms unclean , and there's too much dust ,,, Who ya gonna call? Ghost Dusters ! :)
LOL - that was a fantastic lyric, undead. I think I may make that the anthem for the party this year :)

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Hey FrogKid the duster came out great! I like the gray feathers of the Libman product much better than most feather dusters out there that have artificially colored feathers. Hopefully I can find that particular one for my haunted duster.

If it helps anyone brainstorm here's what I've had in the works for my haunted hotel theme. I'm waiting for delivery of the animated vacuum from Cracker Barrel that Hilda alerted me to last month: http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/124804-2013-halloween-mdse-sightings-stores-42.html#post1483283 . Can't wait to get it. Cracker Barrel is selling it Online this year. FrogKid, if you have any extra funds you might want to check it out for your haunt this year. I'm going to try putting a sound-triggered animated toy prop (with speaker wires cut, so no sound) attached inside the vacuum bag with the hopes it will trigger when the vacuum gets activated. The look I want is "something got swept up and is still alive" inside the vacuum as it wiggles about.

I picked up a small desktop witch's broom a few years back when GR had them marked down to $9. I'll have to measure it but I think the Spirit table top broom looks taller than mine and I might have to work with the feathers to fit on mine or find a different feather duster to use. Does your handle unscrew into two pieces for storage?

As for costumes for my hotel, here's what I'll be using in my hotel setup: for a maid's costume, I picked up the Elsa The Ghost Maid costume from BuyCostumes during a sale or clearance a few years back. I also have the Zombie Girl costume for another prop, I thought the costume closely matched the time period of Elsa's. Same goes for Ghost Stories Mistress costume (here's a link to one on Walmart's site). Hoping to use some of my GrandinRoad ladies and maybe Stone Man for props in the hotel.

Haven't really dealt with men's costumes yet, but I've considered placing the hotel on a foggy street (maybe London setting) with some Big Lot's pole lanterns bought a few years back and have a "Jack the Ripper" prop hiding behind something (got a Mario Chiodo mask that I can use for him). Here's a link to a previous post I made about these two items to give you guys an idea of where my hotel might fit in to everything. QVC must still has the mask available since the link worked. Not that expensive.

As mentioned in the above vacuum cleaner linked post, I thought Jeeves or MoanEek would be great props to use for a haunted hotel display. Both however are older props and probably not easy to find. Wish I had them both. Instead I plan to create a prop with Elsa for the hotel maid, and I have one of the little 2 to 3 foot butler guys from Walgreens/CVS that I'll use instead of Jeeves. Maybe he'll be the hotel "Check In/Out" Clerk. I think his tray is removable. Have to dig him out of storage to verify.

Can't wait to see your hotel when it's done. I'm not sure yet when I'll be setting mine up, maybe this year, but hoping to adopt a few ideas from your hotel :).

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey GOS! Yes, my tabletop broom from Spirit separates into pieces at the handle for storage. I bought the feather duster at Kroger as it was on sale for $5.83 with your shoppers card. They had two when I bought mine - let me know if you want me to get you one and send it to you. I do love the gray and white color, too, instead of the usual shades of brown and white.

I really do like that animated vacuum cleaner - and it has a 40's look to it as well. I totally love your idea of creating the look that something was sucked up into it and is still alive trying to get out. I'm going to hit my local Cracker Barrel tomorrow to see if they have one. I don't think the price of $39.99 is bad at all- but I bet they have some leftover near the end of the season on sale...but I don't want to risk waiting and not having it for my party.

I love those period ghostly costumes that you were able to secure on sale. I noticed the one sold by Walmart is no longer available, but it was a great price of $19.99. I cannot wait to see pics of your set up!

I really want to find either a costume or a vintage bellhop outfit. My goal is to have a stack of luggage sitting by the check in desk and I would like to have a static bellhop prop standing their near them. I'm also going to repurose some of my GR figures into the hotel guests. I want to create a family with a young child (complete with the decaying toys), and a few other guests who have arrived for the annual Halloween Ball at the rooftop club. This ball hosted at the rooftop club of my hotel is what my party guests are being invited to. A month ago, I sent them all "save the date" messages that included a hotel room key, a key tag with the date, time, etc. and I glued small magnets on the back of the key tag so they could put them on their refrigerators. Everyone loved getting them as a hint to the party theme.

I will definitely be posting pictures of my set up as I start to create it. My goal each year is to incorporate as much of my usual furniture into the scene and repurpose tables or chairs to create the feel. I'm turning my foyer table into the check in desk, creating a key board that will be one of the sources for a prize give-away (guests will choose a key at a certain part of the evening and each will have a room number tied to it - we will draw one of the numbers later in the party for a give-away), and a mail slot holding old, dusty pieces of mail.

Keep me (us) posted on your progress as well !!

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Love the invite idea with the magnet! What a great way to keep it out where it can be a reminder each day.

I too have looked for a bell hop costume. There was a perfect one for me a few years ago (Bones the Bellboy), didn't have the extra money that year, and I have not been able to find it again, got discontinued, my luck! I picked up a jacket at Goodwill I can customize with shoulder braiding, fringe or what have you that could double as one, simple slacks and some gold trim up the legs, and have a few hats that could work; but I keep thinking about the one that got away. Good luck on your search.

I'm planning on creating an elevator in my scene. My stuff will all be outdoors BTW for the Trick or Treaters, not indoors for a party. An interior doorway to a room would be perfect for this however. I have this metal panel I bought at a Goodwill, not sure what it was but it will be my elevator floor indicator. Plan to maybe make one of those scissor-like gates they put up when they want you to avoid going somewhere and position it in front of the elevator. It will say "Out of Order" and maybe there will be a hand sticking out of the elevator doors, like it got caught when it closed and now it's out of commission. It would be too funny if it could be rigged to move up and down the door closing area however!

I kind of wish I had furniture I could use for my outdoor props but don't. Not sure what I will end up using for the Concierge Desk for example. I thought I would try to use some of the windows to our house to be the windows in to the hotel rooms and set up scenes inside but what with our landscaping and other such going on (hopefully our landscape lighting and courtyard lighting will be all finished by halloween this year), just don't know if I'll have the time to set that up. We have 3 windows facing the front I could potentially use and as you get to the porch at least another one. I did think about floating a body or a ghost (bought one of those mannequin torso's that are lit...from American Science and Surplus... and I have a ghost costume I was thinking might work with it) from the ceiling of an upper bedroom and positioning so it would be visible from the street. Maybe green lighting for a body or blue lighting for a ghost for getting the room noticed?

It's a fun theme to do and I am floored by all the detail you have put into yours.

Thanks for the offer on the duster BTW. I think Target may carry that brand and it would be cheaper to find it out here if I can, but I do appreciate it.

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I assume my key was lost in the mail?
I can't believe you didn't get your room key and key tag!!!! You just can't trust the USPS (Undead Spirits Parcel Service). I plan to file a complaint on Monday with the PMG (Phanton Monster Ghost).

1 - 20 of 55 Posts