Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our witch Hagetha has become tired of standing out in the wind and rain for a month every year and has demanded that I build her a shelter. I've been thinking about it for months, but time, storage space and money have been keeping me from doing it. While working on the base for our pumpkin king I began to think about materials I could use that would be lightweight, sturdy, and inexpensive or free. Then it hit me - plastic/heat gun corpsing! It will take minimal materials, just sticks, a few screws and plastic and I can get plenty more plastic (stretch wrap) for free from work. The goal is to have walls that will look like they were crafted from the stretched rotten skins leftover from the bodies Hagetha has been exhuming from the graveyard. Spent 5 hours yesterday slapping together a frame and wrapping & sculpting plastic with the heat gun. It was a challenge to wrap such a large structure in multiple layers. I did around 5 I think to get it thick enough to be rigid and eliminate frame flex. Once I had the initial wrap done I created a skin skull by layering many layers of plastic wrap over a plastic skull and melting it to the shape like one would when making a milk jug skull. I then removed the plastic, used hot glue to attach it to the wall, then did a few more layers of plastic over it to blend it into the wall. After that I made veins on the wall with hot glue, painted it all black, dry brushed tan over the black, then coated the whole thing heavily in wood stain. Came out looking GREAT and cost me $0 to make since I had all the paints already and the sticks and stretch wrap were free! Now I need to make a matching wall for the opposite side, a back wall, and a roof. Still not sure about my roof yet, but I have a couple of ideas for it. This will be a lean-to type structure and the wall panels will just attach to each other with zip ties and be attached to rebar in the ground to secure the structure against wind.

Anyways, here is the first almost finished wall panel. Just need to finish up painting and staining a couple of areas...

I'm leaving the branches long so that I can hang creepy stuff from them. The interior will be left black and I'll be putting a couple of shelves in there for witchy stuff. The finished lean-to should be around 6ft tall, 8ft wide, and 4-5ft deep. Since the individual panels will be flat, lightweight, and weatherproof I can just store them under a tarp leaned up against the garage in the off season.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I tip my hat to you sir. That is an excellent idea nicely carried out. I'm guessing you are using actual shrink wrap. If so how many mils thick ?
Some plastic corrugated roofing well age/rusted might work for the roof unless that would be too modern. Actually more skin panels would also work and keep with the theme. Waterproof!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tip my hat to you sir. That is an excellent idea nicely carried out. I'm guessing you are using actual shrink wrap. If so how many mils thick ?
Some plastic corrugated roofing well age/rusted might work for the roof unless that would be too modern. Actually more skin panels would also work and keep with the theme. Waterproof!
No idea what the mil is on the shrink wrap I have. It's way thicker than saran wrap at least as thick as good trash bags. I get almost empty rolls of it from one of the machines we have at work every once in awhile. I like working with it better than shopping bags or trash bags because it stick to itself somewhat which helps to get it in whatever position. I wear a thick leather glove on my left hand and go at it with the heat gun in my right using my gloved hand to push and mold the plastic where I want it and build up layers until it's as thick as I need. As for the roof I'm thinking it will be just a basic shed roof wrapped the same as the walls with multiple branches sticking out from the front. I'd add some burlap over it for looks, but I worry that it would soak up water in a good rain and become heavy enough to bow the walls. Might just glue a fringe of it around the edges to give the illusion that it's covered with it.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Nightfisher very good info! Have you yet run a cost analysis comparing the cost versus digging up the local boneyard? Do you think your creation will handle sunshine well? I'm asking because I have no idea, myself.
I recently discovered I need a new tarp for my backyard trail and I wondered how your creation might work instead of a crappy old plastic tarp?
My framework is what is left from a couple of those made-in-China "Garages of the thin steel tubing . I re-configured it to make it have a flat roof with angled sides. It is held in place with buckets of dried concrete (Wind-proof frame, anyway? )
I had a "collection" of plastic shutters I used to span the spaces between the overhead rectangles to eliminate numerous "ponds" in my flat roof.
Maybe i will camo the steel pipes with tree limbs?

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nightfisher very good info! Have you yet run a cost analysis comparing the cost versus digging up the local boneyard? Do you think your creation will handle sunshine well? I'm asking because I have no idea, myself.
I recently discovered I need a new tarp for my backyard trail and I wondered how your creation might work instead of a crappy old plastic tarp?
My framework is what is left from a couple of those made-in-China "Garages of the thin steel tubing . I re-configured it to make it have a flat roof with angled sides. It is held in place with buckets of dried concrete (Wind-proof frame, anyway? )
I had a "collection" of plastic shutters I used to span the spaces between the overhead rectangles to eliminate numerous "ponds" in my flat roof.
Maybe i will camo the steel pipes with tree limbs?
All plastics and rubbers have a lifespan that is drastically sped up by sunlight and exposure to high temps and freezing weather. Since this is painted and will only be out in the sun for a month out of the year I expect it will last for many years. A spray of sealant with UV inhibitors can be used if fading becomes an issue. Might work well for covering your frame, but I'd add a bunch of cross supports to prevent any sagging or water collecting. You could just wrap the pipes in multiple layers of plastic, then melt it with a heat gun to disguise the metal poles instead of camo.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a photo I took today out in the sunlight. Looks way better than it did under those fluorescent lights in the workshop. Just need to finish up that bottom edge and I'll be ready to make the second side. Gotta go back to work tonight though so it will be a week before I can get back to this project.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nightfisher
The feline friend admiring your work looks to be a twin of one of our cats. We named him for his color Slater. He's a rescue..
That would be Penny. She LOVES the graveyard every year and is constantly running through the tombstones stalking invisible prey.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Awesome~love it!!! Dang, adding this to my to-do list.

I made a few human pelts using the Stiltbeast method a few years ago~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ugZxO1YPs

Really, really love the idea of making an entire wall of skin, with bits and bobs added:D Your frame is awesome too!

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not sure if the stretch wrap I use is the same as what is in the stores. Mine is leftovers from a machine at my work lol. Trash bags or plastic drop cloth would probably work just as well.

EDIT- Checked at work tonight and the stretch wrap we use is labeled as being .90 - whether that is mil or some other measurement I can't say. All it said as far as thickness was .90 I do at least three layers to get a fairly rigid thickness.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got back to work on this for a few hours today. Framed the second wall using the first as a guide to get the heights and angles right. On this one I plan on embedding a forearm and hand (bones) in the flesh of the wall and maybe adding some smaller bones here and there. Got about halfway through stretching and melting the stretch wrap and building up the thickness when my heat gun made a hideous noise, shot a flame about a foot long, then passed away peacefully. Gonna miss that guy. Got it at a yard sale for $1 about three years ago. Was gonna swing into Lowe's tomorrow and get a nice Kobalt one for $70, but found the apparently exact same one on Amazon (without the Kobalt Branding) for $35. http://www.amazon.com/Simplistex-TM-Adjustable-temperature-Warranty/dp/B0106JNHMW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 By the time it gets here I'll only have one day off time off from work so I may or may not be finishing the wall wrap when it arrives.

Progress on wall #2 so far...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts