Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to share my excitement with you all today. I have been searching for a "Happy Jack" Beistle Die Cut Pumpkin Man now for nearly ten years with no luck in the wild. Oh sure I could buy one on evilbay but the real fun is the hunt. So today I am in a dust bowl of a parking lot outside a thrift store that looks like its a scene from Texas Chainsaw and there he is bent, lightly tattered and dusty sitting on a box almost falling into the dirt. I knew I could clean him up and do some repairs so I snagged him for 10 cents along with his companions and whisked him home! Happy Jack is home now never to live in a box bent up and neglected again. I am one Happy Mr. Gris now :)

Anyone else have those moments of Halloween Joy when a piece finally comes home to rest?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Congrats on your find! I remember him and seeing the halloween masks reminds me of when me and my sister would dress up. My mom would always take us to the store and each year we got to pick out a new mask. I still remember the rubber band snapping on those, ouch! Are those from your collection?

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's fantastic! Unfortunately here in Australia, chances of finding anything vintage are slim to nil. I survive by crafting up copies of vintage things that I've seen online *chuckle*.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Barbie :) Yes that is part of my collection. I have a passion for vintage Halloween and I am so looking forward to converting the whole house vintage next month! This is one of m y curios I keep full of Halloween toys/Halloween Cartoon iconic symbols year round in my den.

Download I have heard Australia is very hard to find vintage goods. I bet one could print photo copies of dies cuts and produce them on a home printer for the same effect.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Download I have heard Australia is very hard to find vintage goods. I bet one could print photo copies of dies cuts and produce them on a home printer for the same effect.
That's what I've done the last year or two. I don't like to do it if I'm honest because it feels like I'm stealing someone's work as I'm not paying for the images, but that kind of thing is simply not available here unless you happen to have a few friendly expat friends. And even then, most Americans don't see fit to transport ancient Halloween decorations with them when they move here.
Weirdos. As if you wouldn't! *chuckle*

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I look at it this way, when reprinting vintage die cuts, most of those images are no longer in production, so if you're paying for them, you're paying a seller, but the artist, estate, and companies get nothing from it.

Also, you may want to check out the Dover books website, and go to their free clipart section. They offer royalty free images from vintage cards, for all holidays (around the appropriate times, you won't find Easter this time of year, etc.)

That's what I used to do when I ran an online newsletter. They also sell CD Roms of vintage clipart, and have done so for many years, so it's a legitimate place to get them.

Freebies: http://www.doverpublications.com/dspa117/index.html?s1=Google-Adwords&s4=clip art&s5=dspa023

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,979 Posts
Gris, I'm totally buying that green witch off of Ebay now that I've seen your pic! I've been watching her & didn't realize she's so big!!

I love the hunt too but I'm too lazy to be a good yard saler. They just start too damn early for me. I remember when we held one there were people there at 6AM!! 6AM is fine for the work week, but on Saturday & Sunday I'm a 10-11AM kinda girl.

I need to start a yard sale group for us night owls. Nothing goes on sale until noon & no earlier!! Maybe later but no earlier than noon.:D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RCIAG I have been to laid back towns that do not start sales until 11AM I found it so weird being our town starts at 6AM and 7AM but also it was a very chill environment. Oh I say buy that witch you will not regret it she is by far one of my favorites out there. The nice thing is that she was still in the era of matted prints not gloss so she has such a nice look and feel to her. I also love how well she goes with all the other pieces and yes she is a big die cut :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow! A proud find indeed! Congratulations! I love finding spooky ooky things in thrift stores! Can't say I have a particular Halloween item I'm on the hunt for, but I certainly love perusing the dusty wooden setups at thrift stores and yard sales to see what tricks and treats I find!

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,106 Posts
Wonderful find!!!
My Grandpa had that Happy Jack die cut, along with many other super awesome original vintage die cuts. Unfortunately, the house now has has severe water damage and mold, and they are all ruined. I recently tried to go in the house and save them, but couldn't. I was only able to save a couple vintage blow molds of his since I could clean them. Broke my heart, as they were a part of my whole life's Halloween memories. He had SO many decorations for every holiday...you guys would have loved his house at Halloween time!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WitchyKitty that is so sad to hear :( Blow molds really stand the test of time but you are right water and mold will destroy all paper décor. I recently bought an estate and water damage/mold got into a handful of the old comics. I was crushed to have to throw away Daredevil issue 2 due to mold. I have seen many Halloween items fall to the same fate. That and rodents chewing them apart....a sad fate indeed.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
7,106 Posts
WitchyKitty that is so sad to hear :( Blow molds really stand the test of time but you are right water and mold will destroy all paper décor. I recently bought an estate and water damage/mold got into a handful of the old comics. I was crushed to have to throw away Daredevil issue 2 due to mold. I have seen many Halloween items fall to the same fate. That and rodents chewing them apart....a sad fate indeed.
Yeah, everything in the house got mold/moisture damage and most everything in the attic was chewed up by mice, squirrels, raccoons, ect. I know the feeling of being crushed to have to throw them away...

I was super happy to find and save the two blow molds, though. I am not really into blow molds, but these two are the smaller tabletop cat/pumpkin ones and I always loved them and loved to see them lit up at my Grandparents.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
GOMG - great story and great find...at an even greater price!

My find happened within the family. Growing up we had a honeycomb jack o' lantern that wrapped around a lampshade. It would go in the front window, and I remember the thrill of excitement coming home from school and seeing it on display in the living room window. It meant that mom had decorated for Halloween - the season had begun!
Ours was lost in a flood back in '72. Fast forward to 2007. My wife's uncle had passed away and we were clearing out the family home. Pulling out old decorations from a high shelf on a hall closet, I spy the very same honeycomb jack o' lantern! It turns out that my wife's family had the same decoration and used it in their living room as well. She had forgot about it and we never discussed it. We were both happy to find this Halloween treasure from our youth.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I just had to share my excitement with you all today. I have been searching for a "Happy Jack" Beistle Die Cut Pumpkin Man now for nearly ten years with no luck in the wild. Oh sure I could buy one on evilbay but the real fun is the hunt. So today I am in a dust bowl of a parking lot outside a thrift store that looks like its a scene from Texas Chainsaw and there he is bent, lightly tattered and dusty sitting on a box almost falling into the dirt. I knew I could clean him up and do some repairs so I snagged him for 10 cents along with his companions and whisked him home! Happy Jack is home now never to live in a box bent up and neglected again. I am one Happy Mr. Gris now :)

Anyone else have those moments of Halloween Joy when a piece finally comes home to rest?

Pip pip old chap! Bravo on your find of the elusive Happy Jack. A crafty old die cut if ever there was one. Patience is required to snag one, and you've come through in aces. Display him proudly, yet with just a tinged of sadness that the hunt is now over. But soon you'll find your next Holy Grail, and be off on the trail, searching.

Great score! I see there was also an old Happy Halloween banner in the box. I seldom find the good stuff when I am out. But then, the search is half the fun. Don't you find the older we get, the more we want the things we had in out childhood? You have a beautiful collection. Thank you for sharing it with us. I've been collecting Halloween tally cards of evilbay. I've never seen them anywhere else. Now I just need to figure out how to display them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris I think I have the very same pumpkin you are referring too. I found it in my parents attic and it is one of the last original decorations from my childhood. I also have these really cool accordion tissue black and orange Halloween Disco Balls and a Beistle Skeleton. I love the fact you and your wife have that in common!

Scareme the list never ends while on the hunt does it? I have my eyes on many other elusive pieces of Halloween's past. Soon they will come home to rest I just need to gather all my "children" Often times I feel like the old Walt Disney promotional where he was seen traveling the world to find all 999 ghosts. I keep hunting all my lil spooky friends one at a time. Lord if they could just talk about where they have been, what they have seen, how many kids they have made happy during the season!

Tally cards would be such a wonderful avenue to collect. I could see them displayed on a spinner of sorts maybe adorned with cob webs and spooky accents. I would love to see your collection some time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is very exciting to finally have him Jenn&Matt! I am getting the itch every day to put more decor out lol

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Chris I think I have the very same pumpkin you are referring to.
It's a Hallmark decoration in a tall, thin envelope. The eyes, nose and mouth are heavy paper cutouts. It is fun finding, or in some cases just seeing, decorations fromour youth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts