Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or do they? LOL Where do you get your eyeballs for your skulls? Ones that can be articulated & lighted?

·
Typing Away
3,502 Posts
Here is a couple places that you can get them from. Human eyes are about 24-25 mm or 1" at adult.
This places they come from China so it will be a little longer getting them.
You may have to drill out the back sleeve just a hair for 5 mm LED to fit in. I have done that in the past.

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you don't need quite so many eyeballs as the ones coming from China, you can order them via Ali Express, a sort of consortium of small stores selling products. I ordered a single 8 eye set for $4.43. They'll take a while to get here, but it's the slow season for our crafting of new props, so that's not a big deal. There are lots of stores selling all manner of eyeball sizes, so if you wander around, make sure you get the 22 mm version. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32601862736.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.54e13c00CBZGPs&mp=1

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,936 Posts
I've looked high and low for realistic eyes that aren't made with some weird pattern of lines on the iris instead of realistic texturing. I see the same ones from China over and over again whether it's Amazon, Etsy, Ebay, Aliexpress, or Wish. None of them look real up close. The Dead Head Props eyes are hands down the best for the money without stepping up to movie quality, expensive eyes from somewhere like Fourth Seal Studios. They are all I used now since I first tried them. - https://amzn.to/34bjXcl

·
Registered
921 Posts
We got some of the 22 mm versions of eyes from China and in our mind they're way too small for a full sized head. That's okay, because we were going to use them for the smaller three foot skulls, but they're definitely not going to work if you want regular sized eyes in a regular sized human skull.

We're going to try some 40 mm eyes from Amazon in both a human and an animal selection, just to see how they fit our full sized skeletons. They're both under ten bucks for 10 pair, so we're not expecting anything near the quality of what Oak Lane Cemetery or fsanders are suggesting. We're not really too worried about how realistic the coloration might be. We figure we're going to make a few of them look cloudy and that will negate any detail the actual eyes might have. Others we're going to try light from behind. Again, that sort of kicks out the need for any realism as most eyeballs don't glow in the dark. :)

The fact is, that as we contemplate making corpses out of some of our skeletons, we're not going to go for a totally realistic version of dead. We are in awe of what Oak Lane Cemetery and fsanders have done with their creations, but they're a bit too real for our haunt. Our skeletons might even wind up with the kind of outrageous eyes that David Lowe or Mr. Chicken might create, just to make sure the kids can sense a bit of cartoonishness to what we're doing. Yeah, we know cartoonishness isn't a word, but it should be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts