Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original plan was a vegas trip. That swiftly cancelled itself, but with my wife and oldest son already having their vacation requests in and approved, it was time for plan B.

Most of this was side trips I'd had penciled in for other vacations.

First up was devil's playground.

This is out of the way, relatively little known I'd initially planned as a side trip for a southern Idaho vacation. But, it was within reason to hit from our house for a day trip.

It was memorial day weekend, and it was certainly not completely EMPTY, but we also had no trouble staying away from people. Probably more suited to ATV exploration than our big SUV, but we managed just fine.

Really funky weathering on the rocks out here make little caves all over.

So we spent a day climbing up and in and around the formations.

Found an old gold mine with lots of quartz based off a mineral survey map I managed to find as well.

The next stop was perhaps even lesser known, planned as a side trip to dinosaur national monument. It's been rather high on my list for years to visit, but we're so rarely in the area. The ORIGINAL plan B idea was to spend a couple days there, and head to our next stop from this area...but that all pretty much went to hell as despite being closer to stop 3, it was a longer drive. So we just did a quick overnight.

Fantasy canyon itself has had a lot of it's formations toppled recently as well. Sixes whether this is natural or people being idiots with the recent events in Goblin Valley relatively close making it a 'thing' to topple rock formations.

Even so I wouldn't say it was disappointing.

(social distancing enough?)

[img ]An Unorthodox Halloween |

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part of our initial planned trip to Vegas was a visit to St George. Since we were renting a house anyway, and it's covid levels werent any worse than homes, and I could just cook down there to avoid public, we just kept it on the schedule.

What we weren't planning on was freakishly record heat for end of May. 110 degrees. So, snow canyon didn't get quite as much time as we'd have necessarily liked with the heat. Definitely the most famous and crowded location, we still only ran into about 3 families on the trails.

For reference, we hiked down this hill over near those cliffs, to the right where it starts to turn white, and back up.

If you can't tell by my eyes, something here REALLY set off my allergies too.

And finally, something I'd really been pushing for, was originally planned to hit it out of Vegas, but it wasn't a terrible drive from St George. Ended up being the highlight. If you're EVER in the area, I strongly recommend Cathedral Gorge State Park of Nevada. We essentially had the place to ourselves, though a few people started pulling in around the time we started heading out.

The climb to the top of this overlook being another one of the I couldn't have done this a year ago moments.

We did that hike first figuring on exploring the canyon as we went back...

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,070 Posts
What amazing pictures. I'm sure being there was even more breathtaking.

Your family looks so happy together. I can't believe your kids are so grown up looking - they are all practically adults! Where does the time go?

And even though your eyes are a bit red, that's a lovely photo of you and the wife. She has a beautiful smile and I really love her hair and the color is so pretty!! And you are very pretty too. :)

I'd say despite the changes to the travel plans, that looks like a VERY successful family vacation. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What amazing pictures. I'm sure being there was even more breathtaking.

Your family looks so happy together. I can't believe your kids are so grown up looking - they are all practically adults! Where does the time go?

And even though your eyes are a bit red, that's a lovely photo of you and the wife. She has a beautiful smile and I really love her hair and the color is so pretty!! And you are very pretty too. :)

I'd say despite the changes to the travel plans, that looks like a VERY successful family vacation. :)
No practically about it, only one left in school now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts