Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have noticed a disturbing trend over the past several years; the demise of personal Halloween blogs. It began with Pumpkin Rots blog then followed by Garage of Evil and The House of Marrow. More and more personal Halloween / Horror blogs are disappearing. Even our own beloved Halloween Forum and Haunt Forum have been overtaken by a large company (Vertcalscope) “VerticalScope is a technology company that has built and operates a cloud-based digital community platform for online enthusiast communities. Our communities are roll-ups of high-consumer spending categories.” This post isn’t meant to be a trolling of Vertcalscope but more of a commentary on how the gathering of liked-minded individuals has slowly morphed into the “business model” of others.

Halloween Forum

Haunt Forum

Our History – VerticalScope Inc.

With that being said, I am thankful that the site has an owner that can provide maintained sustainability of this great forum. Please keep responses respectful.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bet that most of the reason is probably youtube becoming the thing that it is has contributed more to that than VerticalScope.

Why spend hours writing and shooting pics and editing when you can grab your phone and shoot a quick video and throw it up?
(and yes, I understand there is a lot more to it than that from a pro youtuber angle, but in most folks eyes it seems pretty simple.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with @Ravenseye, Most people have stopped the detailed write ups in favor of detailed videos. It's just as much work, but some people find writing tedious. I much prefer the videos to the old blogs. It's just a matter of personal preference.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,359 Posts
I've been absent from the forum for quite a while due to personal reasons and because I had issues with the it loading on my iPad after the new company took over. I'm missing several of the regulars that were constant contributors as well and hoping they pop up as the season nears.

I too miss the Halloween blogs but notice many of the YouTube vloggers I used to follow are missing as well. Seems like everyone has shifted to Facebook, which I absolutely despise.

While it's easier to just shoot a video versus writing a detailed post, I prefer the latter because I have limited data internet out here in the sticks and a few YouTube videos will quickly use up that data.

I'm currently reviving a prop I started eight years ago and intend to write a new tutorial for it and another I've been working on and post them here on the forum, as this is where I first got my inspiration. To me it's just a way of giving back.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did anyone find out what happened to Pumpkin Rot? I loved the way he did things and no one else even comes close.
The original (combined) post tells most of what is known about his disappearance:

·
Registered
452 Posts
its a cycle
Prior to internet there were "special groups" that mailed (the old fashion way) threads, read, add, send along. Or there were news letters, to subscribed to, also magazines and How to Books, Then the forums, which have a cost of operation, then blogs, you tube, face book, instagram, etc.......
I remember when the printing press was invented and we no longer had all the hand written books and documents! And before the scribes, the old stone tablets!
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
474 Posts
Don’t forget Message boards/BBS’s in there. Early 90’s if I recall, spent a lot of time dialing up BBS of various specialties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,359 Posts
Ahh... Monsterlist! I used to spend hours there!

And John Wolfe from Season of Shadows. His website is gone but I think the YouTube videos are still there. He was the inspiration for my groundbreaker and turned me on to dark ambient music.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have noticed a disturbing trend over the past several years; the demise of personal Halloween blogs. It began with Pumpkin Rots blog then followed by Garage of Evil and The House of Marrow. More and more personal Halloween / Horror blogs are disappearing. Even our own beloved Halloween Forum and Haunt Forum have been overtaken by a large company (Vertcalscope) “VerticalScope is a technology company that has built and operates a cloud-based digital community platform for online enthusiast communities. Our communities are roll-ups of high-consumer spending categories.” This post isn’t meant to be a trolling of Vertcalscope but more of a commentary on how the gathering of liked-minded individuals has slowly morphed into the “business model” of others.

Halloween Forum

Haunt Forum

Our History – VerticalScope Inc.

With that being said, I am thankful that the site has an owner that can provide maintained sustainability of this great forum. Please keep responses respectful.
Wow I was wondering what happened?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh... Monsterlist! I used to spend hours there!

And John Wolfe from Season of Shadows. His website is gone but I think the YouTube videos are still there. He was the inspiration for my groundbreaker and turned me on to dark ambient music.
John was a great guy, he was one of the first people I corresponded with when I started haunting. He died way to early. His web site stayed up for about a year after his death but eventually the remaining family members decided to take it down. Luckily his Youtube channel still exists:

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,102 Posts
I'm still there. lol. Facebook and YouTube mostly with a little Instagram and Twitter thrown in. Mostly Facebook for the current updates on my projects and follow YouTube for the finished tutorials, past and present. I sort of split my work through a more detailed photo album breakdown on Facebook and a montage tutorial on Youtube. Mainly because of a lack of focus and attention on my part that causes me to have to do it that way to convey all of the information. I don't forsee me getting tired of it, having a personal meltdown, or being bought out by a big corporation at any point in the future. Unless I hit the lottery, in which case I will drop off the face of the earth never to be heard from again.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I’m trying to avoid Facebook and won’t post anything this season. Instead, I’ll probably continue to do individual threads for projects here and maybe a single season thread to cover the whole setup.

I’d rather have it hosted here because:

1) it’s a permanent url link and easier for Wayback Machine to archive.

2) accessible by the public without sharing private info.

3) Screw Zuck & Jack and their censorship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've been absent from the forum for quite a while due to personal reasons and because I had issues with the it loading on my iPad after the new company took over. I'm missing several of the regulars that were constant contributors as well and hoping they pop up as the season nears.

I too miss the Halloween blogs but notice many of the YouTube vloggers I used to follow are missing as well. Seems like everyone has shifted to Facebook, which I absolutely despise.

While it's easier to just shoot a video versus writing a detailed post, I prefer the latter because I have limited data internet out here in the sticks and a few YouTube videos will quickly use up that data.

I'm currently reviving a prop I started eight years ago and intend to write a new tutorial for it and another I've been working on and post them here on the forum, as this is where I first got my inspiration. To me it's just a way of giving back.
I'm not very tech savvy, so I have benifitted greatly from you tube.
I do like Halloween forum because of the conversation's.
I don't do anything on Facebook anymore because of weird people and I'm not talking Halloween weird (Halloween weird good.) This guy was very unhealthily morbid, posted stuff on real animal torture he found on the internet and real human abuse kind of things, in a nut shell that guy was on a downward spiral and really needed help.
This forum is a healthy balance us haunters need.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have noticed a disturbing trend over the past several years; the demise of personal Halloween blogs.
I have one that I started last year!! Partly because I needed something to keep me occupied during a quarantined Halloween season, partly because I missed Pumpkinrot's blog.
I'd be honored if you checked it out, I have very few readers so far.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Facebook has probably killed more blogs and forums than anything. I gave up on it six months ago and left the Halloween groups I was in because I just got sick of Facebook's UI, the totally unrelated posts, memes, and never being able to find anything anymore. Facebook's good for high school drama and that's about it. I've never really paid much attention to blogs because of the update frequency.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts