Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My name is of all things Granny (The Costumer) and i will be your hostess showing you a bunch of deadly grannies from both film and television.

Most persons when they see an elderly lady they usually like to help them across the street, open a door for them, help them with their groceries or other acts of kindness.

No one would suspect an elderly granny to be a harmful type.

However, the cinema and classic TV has portrayed a group of elderly ladies that are quite dangerous. I call this group The Deadly Grannies.

Some are devious old ladies and hags and some are gentlemen disguised as elderly harmless grannies.

I have chosen several examples of grannies running from silent movies to the 1970's who definitely fit into this category.

The first deadly granny is Mrs. O'Grady from The Unholy Three which was made in both a silent (1925) and talkee (1930) version and starred the great Lon Chaney, Senior.

In this film the ventriliquist Echo (Chaney) disguises himself as Mrs. O'Grady and he is the head man in a three man theft ring which includes a circus strongman and a midget ( who passes as a baby). These three represent themselves off as various types and burglarize many households. Everything goes well until one of the heists ends up with a murder. Echo ends up being sentenced to prison.

The second deadly granny is that of Paul Levond disguised as an elderly storekeeper played by Lionel Barrymore in the 1936 film The Devil Doll.

The story concerns Paul Lavond who is sent to Devil's Island unjustly by his partners. While he is there he befriends a scientist who can reduce humans to doll size. Both escape and Levond learns the scientists secrets. The scientist dies and Levond uses his findings to reak revenge on his partners.

The third deadly granny is the Widow Fortune played by Bette Davis from the TV miniseries The Dark Secret Of Harvest Home (1978).

When a young couple moves in town from the big city, they are enveloped by devil worship, satanism and human sacrifice. The Widow Fortune uses all of her wiles against the young couple to ensnare them into the local terror.

The fourth deadly granny is the mother of Norman Bates from the film Psycho (1960)

In actuality Bates' mother has been dead for years and it is Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) that is dressing up like his mother and causing havoc and murder.

The fifth deadly granny comes from the Hammer film Countess Dracula (1971)

The part is played by Ingrid Pitt and the plot of the film evolves around the fact that Countess Dracula needs new blood to stay young. If not she turns into an elderly hag.

The sixth deadly granny comes from an episode from Boris Karloff's Thriller TV series (1960-1962) entitled La Strega.

La Strega (the witch) is played by character actress Jeannette Nolan who brings her vengeance upon her granddaughter and her lover.

The seventh deadly granny was played by none other than the great horror star Boris Karloff.

This character is from an episode of the TV series The Girl From UNCLE (1965-66) entitled The Mother Muffin Affair.

Karloff appears in drag as Mother Muffin who is the head of an assassination ring who is out the kill a mobsters daughter.

At this time Karloff was crippled with arthritus and was having respiratory problems. He was to die and year and a half later. That says a lot about this old trooper who was active until the time of his death.

The eighth deadly granny comes from the 1932 film Vampyr which was a French-German film and was directed by Danish director Carl Theodore Dreyser.

The film has little dialogue, was very atmospheric and mysterious and was subtitled in many languages.

The deadly granny here was a vampiress. She was Marguerite Chopin, a very evil old woman who died in mortal sin and was conspiring with the village doctor to help gain access to her victim.

The ninth deadly granny comes from the Mario Bava film entitled Black Sabbath (1963)

This film was a trilogy of stories. The title of the episode was called Drop of water.

A nurse steals a ring off of the dead finger of and old witch ( see picture). Then the terror begins, both at the death scene an at the nurses apartment. I found this story very terrifying.

Well that concludes my tale of The Deadly Grannies.

So I leave you with this advise.

Be ware of those innocent looking elderly ladies. You never know what lurks in their hearts, minds or what is hidden under their skirts.

Before I leave you, I would like to offer you a glass of my elderberry wine. I made it myself with my own little withered fingers.

Surely you will have some? Don't be afraid. It won't hurt you.

When you get a chance be sure to watch some of these wonderful films. Any of these granny characters would make a delightful Halloween guest.

Your hostess

Granny

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
intriguing. i will have to check them out. the only one i have seen is psycho. that was a great movie. there are two movies that aren't grannies, but older ladies that i like. arsenic and old lace, and an alfred hitchcock thriller where the nurse is really the killer dressed up as a nurse. can't think of the name of it though

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
intriguing. i will have to check them out. the only one i have seen is psycho. that was a great movie. there are two movies that aren't grannies, but older ladies that i like. arsenic and old lace, and an alfred hitchcock thriller where the nurse is really the killer dressed up as a nurse. can't think of the name of it though
Arsenic And Old Lace - Where the two elderly ladies are poising men with elderberry wine - Jean Adair and Josephine Hull. They definitely would qualify as as deadly grannies.

The nurse is from one of the Hitchcock TV series. I can't think of which one. I will have to research further on that one to see if she need be included.

Thanks for the help.:)

Granny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts