Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the ToT's have pretty much gone to bed for the night here on the east coast, but it's happened again, this time to me. I have 2 400 watt foggers and one 1000 watt. We use the 1000 watt one down stairs to fog up our walkway and very small "yard". One 400 watt fogger is used in an iron cauldron to give it the appearance of something inside smoking, and the other on our upstairs balcony with a chiller to make the fog roll over the deck and come down on top of us. I had read all the posts about keeping the foggers clean, and realizing I hadn't cleaned them ever, I got some cleaner from Foggy's and cleaned each machine. Once cleaned, I put new juice in (bought from Foggy's of course) and tested them. They all worked great!

So tonight, I got everything set up and then it happened! The fogger for the cauldron wouldn't suck the fluid into the machine, so it was very loud and rattled a lot. I'm thinking I ran this one too much during the testing (loved the Bog Fog from Foggy's and couldn't stop using it. Neighborhood kids thought it was pretty cool too.) I may have emptied it by accident and jammed up the machine some how, but I'm not sure.

Second, the 1000 watt fogger was working great. Used it with a fog chiller and the fog just rolled down the steps and into our "yard" and street. It was quite nice. Then it happened. I was using a timer so I wouldn't have to mess with a switch and all of a sudden, it just stopped. The machine never sent a signal back to the timer that it was ready. I switched out a couple of timers and even the manual switch and it never worked. Now I was down 2 foggers.

The one up top was still going though, however it was leaking horribly, or so I thought. Actually it was the fog chiller. The water was coming out of the exit tube for the fog, so I guess I made that hole too close to the bottom. It was leaking down on me and my wife, so I went upstairs, got the fogger and brought it down stairs. Plugged it in and let it work. It did fine for what we needed and we were able to finish out the night with great ambiance, but alas, the curse of the malfunctioning foggers finally struck us tonight.

If these malfunctions are familiar to anyone, please let me know how to fix them. I'm not so worried about the 400 watt one because I can probably pick one up cheap this weekend on sale, but I'm kinda disappointed I only got 2 seasons out of the 1000 watt one. This would have been it's 3rd season.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have given up on fog machines, too expensive, never work right. So for me this was the most enjoyable Halloween ever, even with steady rain, winds, less TOTers than in years past.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have had the small fuse in the back of the machine lossen up and need to be reset to get the signal back to have the machine warm up
And at times let them cool completely before the machine would fire up again.

I had a 400 watt fog machine for the cauldron creep crap out an hour before dark last night. The output went down considerable.
I don't know if it is the pump or a blocked nozzle it has been working great each weekend for the month.
Half price sales today at Spirit maybe they will have a few left. This particular machine had very reliable i have used for 4 or 5
seasons with no issues, so I can't complain, I did have a back up everything worked out well in the end.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I tried to let the 1000 watt machine cool down last night, but it still wouldn't work. I'll look at the fuse reset tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Same here. My two 400w machines worked great but my 1000w wouldn't suck up juice either. I clean mine every year with distilled water. I guess I will have to take the 1000w one apart to see if I can fix it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have gotten all of mine off garage sales. I never empty them, never clean them, and they keep working every year (on at least year six with them).

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I only buy the 400w units and I consider them to be dispensable- throw aways. I would never spend big dollars on larger ones. No fogger can be fully trusted. They're ALL made cheaply. My foggers sat idle last year so it's actually been two years since I has them running. I put them away two years ago with the fluid they had left in them- no special cleaning or anything. They worked fine. Of course, it was too windy to use them on halloween though- it figures. I think people make too much of babying them. They either work or they don't and when they do, they usually work for the long haul with no fuss. The trick is getting a working one right out of the box. My 400 watt units are now 4 years old and still kickin. And if they fail, I toss them. I've thrown out a couple along they way too. I get them cheap- dispensable.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had my 400w ground fogger crap out on me last night, the timer seemed to not get a signal either and I didn't know what to do... I had 2 other timers, swapped them out last night (by flashlight, so much fun trying to baby foggers while hiding from ToT's coming up the driveway) and none of the timers worked. I'm thinking the fogger itself must be out, but I never thought to check the fuse. I'll do that today!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had 2 new little 400 watt Chauvet 700 foggers and they are pretty weak. I also had an older one a friend gave me that is twice as big. I wasn't to happy with them so I will be getting a couple that are bigger and better for next year. I also built a fog chiller but my bigger fogger just did not put out enough so it seem kind pointless. For the chiller I used a plastic trashcan, then ran dryer tubing from the fogger into the trashcan, coiled it and put ice on top if it. It cooled the fog but I think I needed a fan to help push it through.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, some good news. I checked the fuse, and it was fine. Put it back in but still no luck, so I took the cover off and Viola, I found the problem. There was a wire connection to the heating element that had come off. I slid it back on, but it slipped right off again. So I took a pair of pliers, crimped it a bit more, and slid it back onto the connector. It had a very tight fit and I doubt it will come off again any time soon.

Plugged it up again, flipped the switch to turn it on, and in 5 minutes got the signal that it was ready to go. Pushed the button and soon I had a garage full of fog. So much so my neighbors thought my house was on fire! They laughed when they saw it was my fogger.

So now that leaves my 400 watt that won't suck up any fluid. I'll take a look at that sooner or later, but as it was stated earlier in this thread, those don't cost that much money so I'm not too concerned with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts