Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following nosefuratyou thread for his 'Crowbait' prop, ourselves and jdubba were discussing how to make realistic looking crows that were 3D rather than just a cut out. I already had an idea that I was going to try and I said I would post the result....so true to my word, after ending up covered in black paint here it is:D I have attached this one to my Drake Manor Column.

WIN_20170513_18_16_48_Pro.jpg WIN_20170513_18_17_45_Pro.jpg

I don't think it has turned out too badly, and I do like the shape. I want to make quite a few as I want them to sit on the fence and windowsills too. I was at a car boot sale, and found this plastic magpie which I got for a few pence (Hubby just thought I was mad wandering around with a magpie and two dolls:eek:.) WIN_20170513_17_36_38_Pro.jpg

I wanted the shape but to not have difficulty getting it off the magpie. I used the same idea as the 'Ghost Tape' props and wrapped two layers of tape around the magpie, one with non sticky side on the bird. I then covered in two layers of newspaper using PVA glue and when dry cut up the middle of the underneath to remove it from the magpie, stuff it with newspaper to make it stronger then taped it back together. I then painted in black acrylic paint and added some cardboard wings. Then came the legs..after I few failed attempts, I finally cracked it using the wooden BBQ kebab sticks which I cut to length and pushed into the bird, these are very strong and I used the sharp end of the stick to push into the column prop and glued in. When I make my next crows I am going to attach their wings in different poses, and if I mould the head separately to the body I could attach that at different angles as well, therefore making each crow different. Not bad for a few pence and a bit of time :) I have looked and you can get these magpie decoy birds on Ebay for a few pounds, it still works out an awful lot cheaper than buying the Halloween prop ones.
Any suggestions for improvement, greatly appreciated!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
That came out great! Glad you found a good method to make them!

Reactions: Sharonr3106

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks nosefuratyou. I was considering feathers, but figured you probably wouldn't really notice them anyway unless your close up. They are really easy to make, and other than cost of the plastic magpie it's a really cheap way, especially when you want quite a few as I do. I am going to have an other go later today at a couple of crows with a different poses, so I will pop some pics on:) Happy Evilbay shopping!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts