Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year for the past four Halloweens I have entered a pumpkin decorating contest at work. My entries are always the best, and everyone knows it, but they never win since the contest is judged by nuns. :p The only things that ever win are pumpkins with little baby pumpkins next to them or ones painted like ladybugs and things like that. The winners are always cutesy. But that doesn't really bother me because I would rather have an awesome entry than one that wins first place. So every year I go all out painting my pumpkin in some sort of horror or Halloween related theme. I always paint them because I feel they are much more interesting than if they are the natural orange. My pumpkin is usually the only one in the contest that isn't orange so it stands out a lot. And like I said, I know I'm tooting my own horn a little, but it is always the best one. Always.

This year I painted my pumpkin shortly after watching the movie The Crow. The "fire scene" where he lights the outline of a crow on fire on the blacktop is a pretty famous scene and one that I really enjoy, so I decided to design my pumpkin after this scene. I painted it in dark colors to look like blacktop and carved out the outline of the crow so that the orange innards of the pumpkin would look like flames. I even used a few different shades of orange and red paint around the outline of the crow so that it would look even more like flames than with just the carving. When the flash on my digital camera lit it up, it looked almost realistic like there was an actual fire on the pumpkin! I then wrote and/or painted quotes from the movie on the back of the pumpkin and around the outline of the crow. A little black mesh, a few black feathers I had lying around, and a feathered crow from the dollar store on top of the pumpkin complete the look.

Because this idea came to me last-minute, and I didn't have much time to plan or to decorate it, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the pumpkins I did the last 3 years. But it surprised me and came out much better than I expected it to. I'm actually quite proud of it!

Attachments

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I will post the others eventually. The first one I did should actually be on the forum already... pretty sure I posted it way back then. It was Sam from Trick 'R Treat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts