Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the 25th anniversary of The Crow this year, and clearly not enough people dress as Eric Draven for Halloween :sneaky::LOL: (seriously though, it's rare in Australia)
So I thought I would log my progress with an accurate as possible Crow costume and get any advice a long the way!

I've already purchased most of the essentials.
-A tight long sleeve black T-shirt and faux leather pants which are yet to arrive.
-Mehron's Clown White makeup with setting powder. Also some rigid collodion to add some authenticity to the nose scar.
-A whole 'lotta electrical and cloth tape.

Things I still need:
-Black face makeup, any advice? Would some kind of black face cream do the trick? It would need to blend well.
-Boots! I have found a few passable options and will purchase some soon.
-Bronze buttons. Who would of thought finding appropriate buttons was so difficult. I even considered those dome claw studs, but finding some in Aus with the right diameter AND colour is surprisingly difficult.
-About 1.5 years of hair growth. I chopped my luscious locks off in 2017, and I don't want to wear a wig for a few reasons (wigs and roller coasters don't mix) My left ear is pierced so I purchased a groovy earring to make up for it. ;)

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the white 'X' across his stomach (and leg) was. It seems a lot of people go with twine, but I was determined to get to the bottom of it! So after scouring the net for some high quality photos of The Crow, I found this. Which answered a couple of questions.

The 'X' is simply twisted tape. I'll be using doubled up masking tape which I'll "age" with some diluted paint. By the look of the texture, the tape on his stomach seems to be cloth/gaffer tape rather than electrical tape.

And finally, to kick things off, a picture of me doing a quick tape test! (I think the sweatpants really sell it :LOL:)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If you can't find bronze buttons, or buttons that are bronze colored you can spray paint them or paint them with acrylic craft paint.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ahh, 25 years, really? But yeah... I love this movie. Some kids came dressed in Crow-ish gear 2 years ago, and I gave them SO MUCH candy.

Black makeup: Mehron or Ben Nye cream is a good choice. For the mouth, go for a black matte liquid lipstick - my favorite is Wet n Wild liquid catsuit, idk if that's a think in Australia but something should be available. That will have the best staying power. WnW also make some decent cream "paint pot" and "multistick". Comes off easy with micellar water. Make sure to get some translucent powder and a good matte setting spray (I like the tiny bottles of Nyx matte). Careful with the collodion, that stuff is supposed to be nasty.

Don't stress if you can't find the right buttons - that's a fairly tiny detail, you will be recognizable without. As many times as I've seen the movie, I had to think "buttons???" and google for a photo.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you can't find bronze buttons, or buttons that are bronze colored you can spray paint them or paint them with acrylic craft paint.
Good point, thanks!

Ahh, 25 years, really? But yeah... I love this movie. Some kids came dressed in Crow-ish gear 2 years ago, and I gave them SO MUCH candy.

Black makeup: Mehron or Ben Nye cream is a good choice. For the mouth, go for a black matte liquid lipstick - my favorite is Wet n Wild liquid catsuit, idk if that's a think in Australia but something should be available. That will have the best staying power. WnW also make some decent cream "paint pot" and "multistick". Comes off easy with micellar water. Make sure to get some translucent powder and a good matte setting spray (I like the tiny bottles of Nyx matte). Careful with the collodion, that stuff is supposed to be nasty.

Don't stress if you can't find the right buttons - that's a fairly tiny detail, you will be recognizable without. As many times as I've seen the movie, I had to think "buttons???" and google for a photo.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Having a hard time finding the regular Ben Nye black creme here, but I can get Grimas black creme. I have Mehrons setting powder, but do you also need the setting spray? Also cant find Wet n Wild in the black, but do you think using the creme would be okay on the lips? Or is a proper lipstick definitely the way to go?
The collodion does absolutely reek of fumes, I'll see how it looks and if its worth the discomfort. 😂

Top and pants should arrive on Monday!

·
Registered
705 Posts
The spray works differently, in collaboration with the powder, to really lock in and hold everything in place. It's kind of like hairspray for the face. Not strictly necessary, but a nice addition.

I do think a matte liquid lipstick (specifically matte liquid, but in whatever brand, doesn't have to be that one) to be the best lip option. Because of the staying power, and less need to reapply. Can't imagine the cream lasting very long there, same way a cream lipstick (regular tube ones) wear off pretty fast around the waterline. Cream paint will work, but it's not the best.

I think the creme brand you can get will probably work fine, I was just listing what I've used as examples. There's a quality range, from the BN/Mehron pro stuff, through the cheap party store Halloween tube goop (avoid).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spray works differently, in collaboration with the powder, to really lock in and hold everything in place. It's kind of like hairspray for the face. Not strictly necessary, but a nice addition.

I do think a matte liquid lipstick (specifically matte liquid, but in whatever brand, doesn't have to be that one) to be the best lip option. Because of the staying power, and less need to reapply. Can't imagine the cream lasting very long there, same way a cream lipstick (regular tube ones) wear off pretty fast around the waterline. Cream paint will work, but it's not the best.

I think the creme brand you can get will probably work fine, I was just listing what I've used as examples. There's a quality range, from the BN/Mehron pro stuff, through the cheap party store Halloween tube goop (avoid).
Gotcha! I can get this lipstick and a setting spray locally at Priceline so I think that's the go. Definitely avoiding the $2 tube makeup!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
My shirt, pants and earring arrived today!
I might remove the belt loops on the pants. I bought a snap fastener kit and I'll be using the "caps" to imitate the buttons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts