Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I saw the preview and figured it was another Paranormal Activity -- any promo that comes with "Fan Reactions" I am skeptical of. I assumed it was another one of those where you are forced to look at something (a CC camera recording of the bedroom, lets say) for a moment or two and try to find something paranormal. I am there to watch a movie, not play "Where's Waldo". Occasionally you are rewarded with a 'screamer' where something jumps in front of the camera -- but that is the cheap line of movie-making.

I haven't seen this particular movie, but I am noticing this SHOCK trend which bores me to no end. I miss the days of uncomfortably creepy and (truely) suspenseful horror movies .. and not this mass produced junk. I'll wait till its on DVD,

For what its worth, I also thought Sinister was dumb but your Blog is very well written.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw the preview and figured it was another Paranormal Activity -- any promo that comes with "Fan Reactions" I am skeptical of. I assumed it was another one of those where you are forced to look at something (a CC camera recording of the bedroom, lets say) for a moment or two and try to find something paranormal. I am there to watch a movie, not play "Where's Waldo". Occasionally you are rewarded with a 'screamer' where something jumps in front of the camera -- but that is the cheap line of movie-making.

I haven't seen this particular movie, but I am noticing this SHOCK trend which bores me to no end. I miss the days of uncomfortably creepy and (truely) suspenseful horror movies .. and not this mass produced junk. I'll wait till its on DVD,

For what its worth, I also thought Sinister was dumb but your Blog is very well written.
I think James Wan is the go to guy for modern horror right now and the Conjuring just scared up $41 million in weekend box office pretty impressive for a original horror film released in the summer.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,788 Posts
I remember the Warrens from many a ghost hunting show back in the day. "In Search Of" in particular.

They were the paranormal investigators involved in Amityville. They seemed like such a nice couple, like your grandparents or something like that. He died a few years ago but she's still doing investigations in her 80s.

http://www.warrens.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_and_Lorraine_Warren

The real Annabelle's story:
http://www.warrens.net/Annabelle.html

And Annabelle wasn't quite so scary looking IRL, Annabelle was a run of the mill Raggedy Ann doll, unlike the doll in the movie.

I've no clue if what they did was "real" or not, it was real to the people involved & real to the Warrens. They still seemed like such genuine people & I love that she's still investigating stuff & that she has that occult museum in her home. It's probably what keeps her going.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember the Warrens from many a ghost hunting show back in the day. "In Search Of" in particular.

They were the paranormal investigators involved in Amityville. They seemed like such a nice couple, like your grandparents or something like that. He died a few years ago but she's still doing investigations in her 80s.

http://www.warrens.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_and_Lorraine_Warren

The real Annabelle's story:
http://www.warrens.net/Annabelle.html

And Annabelle wasn't quite so scary looking IRL, Annabelle was a run of the mill Raggedy Ann doll, unlike the doll in the movie.

I've no clue if what they did was "real" or not, it was real to the people involved & real to the Warrens. They still seemed like such genuine people & I love that she's still investigating stuff & that she has that occult museum in her home. It's probably what keeps her going.
I also heard the Annabelle doll was a inspiration for the Child's Play Chucky Doll movies

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think James Wan is the go to guy for modern horror right now and the Conjuring just scared up $41 million in weekend box office pretty impressive for a original horror film released in the summer.
Wan is alright, I guess. The Saw movies were clever but got 'tried' after the 15th sequel -- they were thrillers more than Horror movies, there wasn't nothing really scary about them just a growing sense of danger before a cheap flash of violence and gore. Dead Silence was dumb. I got what I was expecting with Insidious , a weak story with a good setting and a creepy kid. That's really all I know him for.

Calling him the "Go-to-guy" for modern horror is a bit of a stretch .. Rob Zombie & Lucky McKee are leaps and bounds ahead of him. I don't even know if I would put Wan in the top ten. But that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also saw this movie at midnight. I was thoroughly impressed and thought Wan did a great job. Much better than Insidious, although we all knew exactly what it was 10 minutes into the movie. It seems I wasn't the only one impressed and spooked in the theater, many other watchers screamed in the middle of the theater on several occasions. I recommended it to many of my friends and I recommend it to you! :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
I just saw it. I have to say, I think it was over hyped as far as the scare factor. Not a bad movie, but not as scary as it was advertised. I normally wait for movies to come to On Demand. However, with all the hype, I thought I would go to the theatre for this one. As far as scary, Sinister and Dark Skies were scarier than The Conjuring. Once again, it was not a bad movie, just did not live up to level of scare as advertised. However, the level of scare that they advertised might be extremely tough to live up to.

Rob

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,788 Posts
I think when they show those commercials where everyone is screaming or jumping it's because the people in the audience aren't horror fans. I think they say to people on the street "You wanna see a free movie" & they have no idea what's coming. If some of my co-workers who aren't horror fans went to see something like this (not that they would) they'd scream & jump too.

Me, I'm usually far too jaded for that nonsense. I haven't been scared like that in a theatre since I was a kid.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I think when they show those commercials where everyone is screaming or jumping it's because the people in the audience aren't horror fans. I think they say to people on the street "You wanna see a free movie" & they have no idea what's coming. If some of my co-workers who aren't horror fans went to see something like this (not that they would) they'd scream & jump too.

Me, I'm usually far too jaded for that nonsense. I haven't been scared like that in a theatre since I was a kid.
I agree. Also, I think that the look of the Annabelle doll might have gone a bit overboard compared to the original. I was aware of what the original Annabelle doll looked like from reading about it years ago. When I saw the comparison in this thread, it made me remember the original doll. Although from a special effects/artistic point of view, they did created a pretty scary looking Annabelle. However, it might have been good to create something in the middle. Something a little scarier that the original Annabelle, but not as over the top as this one. Still, it was pretty cool looking and well done doll, from an artistic point of view.

Rob

F

·
0 Posts
I was hesitant when I first heard about it. But once I started reading the reviews when it came out....intrigued I am.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts